What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

La Dame aux Camélias (The Lady of the Camellias), Alexandre Dumas Fils.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 12, 2021, 07:42:05 AM

The weight of expectation for an author with a name like that  ;D

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 12, 2021, 07:42:05 AM

Love the new avatar, DBK  ;D I have read no Dumas, père nor fils. What do you think of the book so far?

Keeping my reading mostly to the lighter side of things, I have started this short story collection by Haruki Murakami, a new favorite of mine:

So far, so good.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 12, 2021, 02:54:53 PM
Love the new avatar, DBK  ;D

I am trying to scare other members, especially Florestan  :D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on June 12, 2021, 11:48:03 AM
The weight of expectation for an author with a name like that  ;D

I have read no Dumas, père nor fils. What do you think of the book so far?

Not a fun read. I used to like it when I was a high school kid though. His father is much better writer.

Artem

Love the new avatar, DBK  ;D I have read no Dumas, père nor fils. What do you think of the book so far?
Keeping my reading mostly to the lighter side of things, I have started this short story collection by Haruki Murakami, a new favorite of mine:
So far, so good.
I like this collection. Murakami has some great short stories.

aligreto

Somerset Maugham: Theatre

This novel traces the life, loves and triumphs of a famous female stage actress of her time. It traces the development of both her character and craft from humble beginnings to her total conquest or her realm. One of the interesting aspects of the novel is her own commentary of this development.
Maugham's consummate skill as a storyteller and a portrayer of character is once again very well portrayed here. The writing style is so fluid and the characters are so natural that the plot just flows so effortlessly that one seems to be watching it unfold visually in one's mind's eye.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

White Identity Politics, Ashley E. Jardina. More fun read than The Lady of the Camellia.

aligreto

Hesse: Knulp

This is the story of a sophisticate who chose the life of a vagabond so that he could observe Life rather than participate in it. The writing style is quite sparse; there is not a wasted word to be found [I wonder if Hemmingway read Hesse?]. One does not overly engage with the main character as Hesse is curtly descriptive and quite dispassionate in his writing [certainly in this English translation]. This does not detract from an engaging narrative style. It was an enjoyable re-read as it is one of those novels that I previously read as a young man.

vers la flamme

Sándor Márai's Embers

A classic of 20th century Hungarian literature if I understand correctly—I know nothing about Hungarian literature, but this came highly recommended. So far so good. Reflections on a world and a way of life that is burning to the end, as it were.

Artem

Finished that one recently. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

By the way, has anyone read the latest international Booker Prize winner David Diop?

André

Quote from: aligreto on June 16, 2021, 02:29:49 AM

This is the story of a sophisticate who chose the life of a vagabond so that he could observe Life rather than participate in it. The writing style is quite sparse; there is not a wasted word to be found [I wonder if Hemmingway read Hesse?]. One does not overly engage with the main character as Hesse is curtly descriptive and quite dispassionate in his writing [certainly in this English translation]. This does not detract from an engaging narrative style. It was an enjoyable re-read as it is one of those novels that I previously read as a young man.

One of the very few Hesse novels I haven't read yet. Thanks for the comment !

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on June 16, 2021, 02:29:49 AM

One of my favorite works by Hesse. Beautiful, and somehow innovative, story with a sophisticated, albeit deceptively simple, writing. I see the work as a prototype of Narcissus and Goldmund partially.
I am not sure about the relevance of the cover art. Doesn't matter, though.

André

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 16, 2021, 05:29:13 AM
One of my favorite works by Hesse. Beautiful, and somehow innovative, story with a sophisticated, albeit deceptively simple, writing. I see the work as a prototype of Narcissus and Goldmund partially.

Indeed, that cover art makes me uncomfortable.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 16, 2021, 05:29:13 AM

It actually has a lot of relevance if you remember the end of the book. I obviously don't want to give away any spoilers but it relates to where he revisits his his home town and in particular his father's garden.

André

Ah, thanks for the clarification. He's looking back at his young days, I guess.

aligreto

Quote from: André on June 16, 2021, 04:57:25 AM
One of the very few Hesse novels I haven't read yet. Thanks for the comment !

It is quite a short book and will not take you long to read, André.

Quote from: André on June 16, 2021, 05:37:23 AM
Indeed, that cover art makes me uncomfortable.

It refers to a pointed and poignant moment in the story.

Quote from: André on June 16, 2021, 07:56:19 AM
Ah, thanks for the clarification. He's looking back at his young days, I guess.

I was being discreet on your behalf as you had not read it but you are correct  8)

It is the time that he is looking at in his younger days and what he felt then and now is the essence of his memory.

André

I figured as much, but only after you opened my eyes with your comment. Sometimes it takes only a spark to light an entire room  ;).

aligreto

Quote from: André on June 16, 2021, 11:10:04 AM
I figured as much, but only after you opened my eyes with your comment. Sometimes it takes only a spark to light an entire room  ;).

It is definitely a recommended read, André.

André

Thanks, I will. Here's the book I bought a couple of years back (still unopened):

Contents:

ROMANS
Peter Camenzind / L'Ornière
Rosshalde / Knulp / Demian
Le Dernier Eté de Klingsor / Siddhartha
Enfance d'un magicien
Le Loup des steppes / Narcisse et Goldmund
Le Voyage en Orient
Le Jeu des Perles de Verre

Knulp, Le dernier été de Klingsor and Le Voyage en Orient are those I haven't read yet.