What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

I finished rereading Thomas Mann's Death in Venice this morning...

An absolutely brilliant novella. I got through it really quickly this go around. It was a different translation to the one I read previously, the Dover budget version translated by I forget who, and I think far superior—the other one seemed clunkier, this one seemed to really flow.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Exquisite novel.

Btw, Mann was influenced by Schopenhauer too.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 27, 2021, 04:43:03 PM
Exquisite novel.

Btw, Mann was influenced by Schopenhauer too.

I can surely see that, all the more having reread Schopenhauer's Essays & Aphorisms book a few months prior.

Mandryka

Having a Le Clezio retrospective. His style is naive and his vision is not very deeply explored. This is a short book, it's about his father, and it benefits from being short, and from a sort of candour. But still, revisiting Le Clezio has made me wonder what why on earth he got the Nobel Prize for literature - is it really because of his literary merits?

By the way one interesting thing happened with another novel of his: Onitsha. Amazon sent me a translation in English by mistake, and before returning it I read some of it. Despite the naivety of the style, it completely fails in translation, the French is so much more fluid and natural. It showed me something about the difficulty of translation.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 27, 2021, 03:18:59 PM
I finished rereading Thomas Mann's Death in Venice this morning...

An absolutely brilliant novella. I got through it really quickly this go around. It was a different translation to the one I read previously, the Dover budget version translated by I forget who, and I think far superior—the other one seemed clunkier, this one seemed to really flow.

The Norton edition has some very good material in the essays at the back - stuff of the different types of cholera. I too enjoyed the novel, and indeed Visconti's film. But not Britten's opera!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 27, 2021, 07:31:54 PM
The Norton edition has some very good material in the essays at the back - stuff of the different types of cholera. I too enjoyed the novel, and indeed Visconti's film. But not Britten's opera!

Love Dirk Bogarde in the movie!

Spotted Horses

Blukowski's Post Office

Has a literary feel, but Blukowski luxuriates in his own crudity and dissipation.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 28, 2021, 04:23:34 AM
Blukowski's Post Office

Has a literary feel, but Blukowski luxuriates in his own crudity and dissipation.

Nice work!

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 27, 2021, 08:01:23 PM
Love Dirk Bogarde in the movie!

Keep young and beautiful, if you want to be loved.

SonicMan46

Well, has been a while since my last 'book listing' - all sorts of topics; finishing up the music books and just starting on the two Apple OS books - the operating systems due for release soon.  Dave :)

Eagle's Claw, The (2021) by Jeff Shaara - historic novel about Midway; not great but kept me interested.

The United States Army and the Making of America (2021) by Robert Wooster - well researched and lengthy covering the Revolutionary War to just after the Spanish American War - recommended.

Music in the Medieval West (2014) by Margot Fassler - part of the Norton History of Western Music - still reading.  Also finished the one on the Baroque - expensive to purchase but can be rented for about $20 USD w/ about a 3 month reading allotment.

Music in the Renaissance (2012) by Richard Freedman - all of these have been excellent and about 250+ pages on my iPad Kindle app; just about finished - I will have read 5 of the 6 books in the series (skipping the 20th century one).

Take Control of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 (2021) by Josh Centers - well, we're an Apple house from Apple TVs, iPads, iPhones, and 3 Mac computers - Apple is about to release two major upgrades - I'll have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones for iOS 15 upgrades.

Take Control of Monterey (2021) by Joe Kissell - Joe 'runs' the Take Control of... website, offering plenty of short, concise, and oft updated books on Apple devices and their software; our 2019 iMac did not get the Big Sur upgrade (too many complaints), but will probably go to Monterey - if you're an Apple user, then check the link - highly recommended.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 28, 2021, 09:26:10 AM... our 2019 iMac did not get the Big Sur upgrade (too many complaints), but will probably go to Monterey...

What's wrong with Big Sur?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 28, 2021, 10:11:46 AM
What's wrong with Big Sur?

Well, probably nothing if the macOS worked out well on your equipment - but as a member of the MacForums, there were many having issues and Apple's early plethora of releases were bewildering; plus, the shift to Apple silicon further confused (not my consideration yet but in the market for a new laptop) - as the months passed and I procrastinated, it's now time to release Monterey!  :laugh:

Our newest iMac is a 2019 Intel machine that could have easily taken Big Sur, but wife was happy (her computer) on Catalina w/ the apps she uses so I just decided to wait.  My early 2013 MBPro was not compatible w/ Big Sur (nor of course Monterey); my early 2015 MBAir (my travel laptop) is now 'on the fence' (both run Catalina fine).  So thinking of a single replacement for both laptops, i.e. the Air w/ Apple silicon but waiting to see if a newer M-chip will be released?  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Oku no Hosomichi: The Narrow Road to the Deep (North). Basho, Matsuo

Haiku began with this work.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 28, 2021, 10:40:27 AM
Well, probably nothing if the macOS worked out well on your equipment - but as a member of the MacForums, there were many having issues and Apple's early plethora of releases were bewildering; plus, the shift to Apple silicon further confused (not my consideration yet but in the market for a new laptop) - as the months passed and I procrastinated, it's now time to release Monterey!  :laugh:

I have one rule for Apple updates, don't install anything that ends in .0 I just wait a month for the early adopters to find any residual issues before updating. (This applies to major upgrades, not routine security updates, which I install as soon as available.) Cannot recall ever having a problem, other than the occasional, "now why did they change that?"

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Kant: A Biography. Fun read about many scholarly and personal battles.

aligreto

Hamsun: Hunger

This is the story of a man who descends into chronic poverty and who has no money for food. This is the description that the lack of food has on the mind and how it changes the way that he thinks. The writing style made this a difficult read for me. I had to force myself to finish reading it.

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on October 03, 2021, 02:22:57 AM

This is the story of a man who descends into chronic poverty and who has no money for food. This is the description that the lack of food has on the mind and how it changes the way that he thinks. The writing style made this a difficult read for me. I had to force myself to finish reading it.

Wow, high praise from no less than Thomas Mann on the cover. I've been meaning to read this book for a while now.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on October 03, 2021, 02:22:57 AM

Wow, nice cover art!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on October 03, 2021, 06:11:00 AM
The only credit is on the back and reads "Cover Illustration by Paul Leith". I looked him up; and artist and illustrator. I thought that you might like to see his work so here is the Google Images link: https://www.google.ie/search?q=paul+leith+artist&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=935&ei=sbVZYc_pF7CLhbIP0POx0A8&oq=paul+leith+artist&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgFMgUIABCABDIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBAgAEBgyBAgAEBgyBAgAEBg6CAgAELEDEIMBOggIABCABBCxAzoECAAQHlCI_BZY3ZgXYO3EF2gAcAB4AIABbogBjAWSAQM5LjGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img  ;)

Thank you very much! I was going to search the art and artist. There are some nice works!