The Back Room > The Diner

What are you currently reading?

<< < (2339/2356) > >>

vers la flamme:
The Poems of Wilfred Owen

Really good stuff. Always knew I'd appreciate this poet, it's good to finally read his work.

aligreto:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on November 25, 2021, 04:25:36 PM ---

Maybe I'm still a young man at 26, but I got a lot more out of Gatsby in a recent rereading than I ever did in the past.

--- Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 25, 2021, 06:59:40 PM ---Definitely masterpiece! I love the sophistication, coolness, subtlety, and loneliness in the work. Have you guys read FSF’s Rich Boy and/or Winter Dream? They are somewhat similar styles and unforgettable stories.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Perhaps one definition of a masterpiece is that it continues to offer as long as one continues to revisit it.

No, I have not read either Rich Boy or Winter Dream unfortunately.

aligreto:

--- Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2021, 07:50:18 PM ---I recently re-read The Great Gatsby, then remembered the book that I wanted to re-read was Tender is the Night. :(

--- End quote ---

Surely not a waste of your time though?

vers la flamme:
Something that I did not quite catch on my first reading of Gatsby which surprised me this go around is that there appears to be a scene in which Carraway is involved in a homosexual encounter with a stranger he meets at a party. I do not know what other way to interpret this scene—it's not quite made explicit—and I'm not entirely sure why Fitzgerald put it in there, but I found it very curious. Does anyone else know the part I'm talking about?

Ganondorf:

--- Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 25, 2021, 06:59:40 PM ---Definitely masterpiece! I love the sophistication, coolness, subtlety, and loneliness in the work. Have you guys read FSF’s Rich Boy and/or Winter Dream? They are somewhat similar styles and unforgettable stories.

--- End quote ---

I've read both Rich Boy and Winter Dream. Don't remember much about them (unlike with Gatsby) except that I liked them. Fitzgerald was one of the greatest literary minds in 20th century America. I've read several of his short stories and from novels Gatsby and The Last Tycoon. Loved most of them. Fitzgerald's language is very poetic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version