The Back Room > The Diner

What are you currently reading?

<< < (2341/2359) > >>

SonicMan46:
Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes (2014) by Svante Pääbo - kind of the 'godfather' of ancient DNA evolution - short bio below (much more at the link) - I've been reading about human evolution since my teenage years, so just an ongoing interest with this new book about sorting out the genetics of the Neanderthals - bought the tee shirt on the end a few years ago, of course the meaning is that modern humans (esp. of European descent) have about 3% Neanderthal genes in their DNA - kind of cool to me at least.   :laugh:  Dave

--- Quote ---Svante Pääbo (1955-Present) is a Swedish geneticist specializing in the field of evolutionary genetics. As one of the founders of paleogenetics, he has worked extensively on the neanderthal genome. Since 1997, he has been director of the Department of Genetics at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany.
--- End quote ---

vers la flamme:
Started this anthology of plays by August Strindberg today:

So far I've read The Father, which was certainly a weird one. Not sure what to make of his writing so far, but it's dark and brutal. I'm intrigued and excited to read on.

JBS:

Ms. Picard's most recent, published in 2017, when she was 90.
It seems she worked for the government as a lawyer (she is a graduate of Gray's Inn) until her retirement at age 60, when she began the research for her first book, Restoration London, published when she 70.  Never say you're too old...

The book is structured around Chaucer's pilgrims to depict English society c 1390.
It does seem slightly more superficial in content and more chatty than her previous books.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh:

--- Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 30, 2021, 08:37:53 PM ---Churchill: A Life. Martin Gilbert. Re-reading the book about one of my heroes.
I haven’t bought the other biography by Andrew Roberts yet.

--- End quote ---

Still reading the biography of Churchill. It is very one-sided. Everything WC did was clever and prescient, and whatever his critics did and said were wrong and unreasonable. I may quit the book and switch to Andrew Roberts’ book. It is disconcerting that this kind of book is well-liked and respected in the populace.

Mandryka:

This is pure Mulholland Drive style in literary form. Is it a dream? Is it real? There’s even a bit which is like No Hay Banda - the cabaret is called Le Néant! Very good, and like Mulholland Drive, disturbing. This Modiano voice, half Kafka half Lynch, that you find in some of his books post 2000, is special for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version