The Back Room > The Diner

What are you currently reading?

<< < (2359/2380) > >>

SimonNZ:
Finished a reread of Joan Didion's first essay collection Slouching Towards Bethlehem. Sent back to this after hearing an excellent podcast looking at her now forgotten early years as a National Review writer and Goldwater republican before turning democrat. Much discussion of how you can still see traces of that in this post NR collection and in some of her later writing, which may come as a surprise to many of her fans.

now most of the way through:

Mandryka:
Charteuse abandoned for a while shortly after del Dongo was sent to jail -- I'm tired of Stendhal's tone of voice -- I keep saying to myself "this story is daft" -- I may well finish it later.

But I've gone back to L'education Sentimentale, I've got to the end of Part 1 -- which was where I abandoned it last time. This time I can see it is pretty special actuall, so looking forward to Part 2 tomorrow or Wednesday. It's like music, you have to be in the right frame of mind for these things.

SimonNZ:

third reading

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: SimonNZ on January 24, 2022, 03:32:47 PM ---

third reading

--- End quote ---

Aujourd'hui, maman est morte

SimonNZ:
For such a seemingly uncomplicated read - 120 pages of at least superficially uncomplicated short sentences - it's really striking me that it's only on this third reading I'm feeling like I'm starting to get the full measure of the work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version