Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1304683 times)

Offline ultralinear

• What? WHAT???
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12100 on: September 15, 2022, 10:04:53 AM »

My first attempt at this was defeated by the combination of intensity and whimsicality, which required more dedication than I was prepared to give it.

However in recent days I have found it very nearly the perfect way to collapse the hours spent sitting in hospital waiting-rooms (nothing serious) and as a result my opinion of it has rocketed.  When I finish it (very shortly) I'm going to start it again, and this time savour the moments.  It's really very good.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #12101 on: September 17, 2022, 04:45:08 AM »
Keegan: Small Things Like These

This is a novel set in 1985. It is about a very typical Irish family, their concerns and their everyday life and thoughts on how to get through it. There is nothing that is earth-shatteringly profound revealed in the depiction of these people and yet the novel contains a lot of Universal Truths. It has quite a good insight into the psyche of the people of that time.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #12102 on: September 17, 2022, 04:47:15 AM »
A recent discussion in this thread (with its very diverse reactions to the book) spurred me to watch a BBC Arena documentary this week about James Joyce's Ulysses.

Here is the link to the BBC page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001bvp2/arena-james-joyces-ulysses

and a version currently available on Dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8dkscn

(warning: there are rude bits  :laugh: )

It ended up being a gripping watch, so much so that I read a few pages of Ulysses and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man on the Gutenberg website and actually got quickly drawn into the style of it (that continuous flow is not dissimilar to Damon Galgut's The Promise which I mentioned earlier this year). I ordered a used copy of both books. I also have an unread Odyssey on my shelves, so I might throw its relevant chapters in the mix as I go along.

I am sure there's an irony somewhere that, for someone who doesn't read novels, I end up being drawn by Ulysses  >:D Either it will be a very short-lived project or I'll come back to you on this in a few years...  :laugh

Shock!  :o
You reading two books in one year! Enjoy your odyssey.  ;D
I would recommend you begin with Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline geralmar

« Reply #12103 on: September 20, 2022, 01:44:04 AM »

One of those dispiriting political/social problem books that recounts in detail the genesis and development of a vexing issue, then concludes with the obligatory and hopelessly naive chapter on how we extricate ourselves out of the mess: organize, vote, blah, blah.  (This book obviously predates Trump).  If I had written the book the final chapter in its entirety would consist of the simple advice, "Kill 'em all."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:02:37 AM by geralmar »

Offline ultralinear

• What? WHAT???
« Reply #12104 on: September 21, 2022, 02:34:07 AM »

A slim volume that attempts to penetrate some of the myths that Roth wove about himself, by exploring the importance of place, in concept as well as specific locations, in his life and works.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #12105 on: September 21, 2022, 11:37:38 AM »
Started:

Also found a volume I was missing in this series and have been picking away at it:

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #12106 on: September 25, 2022, 01:49:19 AM »
Goethe: Letters from Italy

This is a series of letters written by Goethe that describes his first impressions of the people and places in Italy on a trip that he made from Trento all the way down to Roma. It is interesting to read his joyful delight and wonder at most of what he encountered on his journey. The fact that he did not edit or rewrite his initial impressions makes for interesting and revealing reading.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12107 on: September 25, 2022, 08:53:01 AM »
Goethe: Letters from Italy

This is a series of letters written by Goethe that describes his first impressions of the people and places in Italy on a trip that he made from Trento all the way down to Roma. It is interesting to read his joyful delight and wonder at most of what he encountered on his journey. The fact that he did not edit or rewrite his initial impressions makes for interesting and revealing reading.

Well, how did he find Italy and the Italians?
"In religion, philosophy and morality, obedience; in art and literature, independence." - Ricardo Viñes

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #12108 on: September 25, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »

IIRC, full of lemon trees blossoming, golden oranges glowing among dark leaves, marble statues standing and gazing at him, and so on…  ;)

Buona sera, mio signore!
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« …tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12109 on: September 25, 2022, 09:22:46 AM »
Buona sera, mio signore!

Buona sera, buona sera!

)Maledetto seccatore, presto presto via di qua!)

Umil servidor vostro, Vossignoria Illustrissima!  ;)

"In religion, philosophy and morality, obedience; in art and literature, independence." - Ricardo Viñes

Offline Ganondorf

« Reply #12110 on: September 25, 2022, 10:18:05 AM »
Started recently reading Ronald Hayman's massive Thomas Mann biography. First complete Mann biography for me. Very interesting although Hayman seems to miss a lot of the inherent ambiguity and elusiveness of his works. This biography however paints a powerful portrait of this deeply flawed genius, his coldness towards his family etc. So many great artists seem to be rather awful human beings. I wonder whether it is only because of historical reasons of harsher upbringing etc. or is being a bad person inseparable from artistic brilliance? I know Tolkien for ex. Is widely considered to have been a nice person but I wouldnt be surprised If there are some huge skeletons in his closets too. I shall always love Thomas Mann the artist but Thomas Mann the man seems reprehensible.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #12111 on: September 25, 2022, 10:26:14 AM »

He basically loved the place with its art and architecture if a little frustrated by the customs and attitudes of the natives [even though he admired a lot of these traits too.
His main revelation was the graceful proportions of the architecture of Palladio in particular. 

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12112 on: September 25, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »
He basically loved the place with its art and architecture if a little frustrated by the customs and attitudes of the natives

Why, yes, a Protestant could not be but frustrated by the customs and attitudes of a Catholic people. That Goethe was frustrated only a little is to his credit.  ;D

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There's always laughter and good red wine.
At least I've always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 10:43:39 AM by Florestan »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #12113 on: September 25, 2022, 11:58:52 AM »
I also suspect that he was more temperate because of the environment he was in i.e. a living museum. He was very much in awe of it all which his first impressions readily depict.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #12114 on: September 25, 2022, 12:14:40 PM »
The Lost World of Byzantium, Jonathan Harris.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12115 on: September 25, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »
The Lost World of Byzantium, Jonathan Harris.

Most interesting,  but.. Why lost, anyway? Lost for whom?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:20:14 PM by Florestan »

• Veteran member
« Reply #12116 on: September 25, 2022, 12:20:40 PM »
Most interesting... Why lost, anyway?

Conquered by Ottoman Turk eventually.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member

• Veteran member

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #12119 on: September 25, 2022, 04:44:56 PM »
Just finished this, and then watched the movie which was very loyal to the book.

Louis L'Amour - Hondo

Then started this one, a continuation of the Duane Moore series by Larry McMurtry, and the Last Picture Show characters.