What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Quote from: Mandryka on October 13, 2022, 07:39:34 AM
Before giving up on late Henry James, let me urge you to try, if you can bring yourself, The Golden Bowl.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2022, 10:24:18 AM
Spoke to soon. Just look at this sentence.

If he had lived in Frenchman's Bend itself during that spring and summer, he would have known no more—a little lost village, nameless, without grace, forsaken, yet which wombed once by chance and accident one blind seed of the spendthrift Olympian ejaculation and did not even know it, without tumescence conceived, and bore—one bright brief summer, concentric, during which three fairly well-horsed buggies stood in steady rotation along a picket fence or spun along adjacent roads between the homes and the crossroads stores and the schoolhouses and churches where people gathered for pleasure or at least for escape, and then overnight and simultaneously were seen no more; then eccentric: buggies gone, vanished—a lean, loose-jointed, cotton-socked, shrewd, ruthless old man, the splendid girl with her beautiful masklike face, the froglike creature which barely reached her shoulder, cashing a check, buying a license, taking a train—a word, a single will to believe born of envy and old deathless regret, murmured from cabin to cabin above the washing pots and the sewing, from wagon to horseman in roads and lanes or from rider to halted plow in field furrows; the word, the dream and wish of all male under sun capable of harm—the young who only dreamed yet of the ruins they were still incapable of; the sick and the maimed sweating in sleepless beds, impotent for the harm they willed to do; the old, now-glandless earth-creeping, the very buds and blossoms, the garlands of whose yellowed triumphs had long fallen into the profitless dust, embalmed now and no more dead to the living world if they were sealed in buried vaults, behind the impregnable matronly calico of others' grandchildren's grandmothers—the word, with its implications of lost triumphs and defeats of unimaginable splendor—and which best: to have that word, that dream and hope for future, or to have had need to flee that word and dream, for past.

I have now met Ike, and his love for a cow. This is the only novel I know with a highly poetic celebration of bestiality.

Then he would hear her, coming down the creekside in tthe mist. It would not be after one hour, two hours, three; the dawn would be empty, the moment and she would not be, then he would hear her and he would lie drenched in the wet grass, serene and one and indivisible in joy, listening to her approach. He would smell her; the whole mist reeked with her; the same malleate hands of mist which drew along his prone drenched flanks palped her pearled barrel too and shaped them both somewhere in immediate time, already married. He would not move. He would lie amid the waking instant of earth's teeming life, the motionless fronds of water-heavy grasses stooping into the mist before his face in black, fixed curves, along each parabola of which the marching drops held in minute magnification the dawn's rosy miniatures, smelling and even tasting the rich, slow, warm barn-reek milk-reek, the flowing immemorial female, hearing the slow planting and the plopping suck of each deliberate cloven mud-spreading hoof, invisible still in the mist loud with its hymeneal choristers.

Then he would see her; the bright thin horns of morning, of sun, would blow the mist away and reveal her, planted, blond, dew-pearled, standing in the parted water of the ford, blowing into the water the thick, warm, heavy, milk-laden breath; and lying in the drenched grasses, his eyes now blind with sun, he would wallow faintly from thigh to thigh, making a faint, thick, hoarse moaning sound. Because he cannot make one with her through the day's morning and noon and evening. It is not that he must return to work. There is no work, no travail, no muscular and spiritual reluctance to overcome, constantly war against; yesterday was not, tomorrow is not, today is merely a placid and virginal astonishment at the creeping ridge of dust and trash in front of the broom, at sheets coming smooth and taut at certain remembered motions of the hands—a routine grooved, irk-loss; a firm gentle compelling hand, a voice to hold and control him through joy out of kindness as a dog is taught and held.

When I first read it I thought he was looking at a woman, and the reference to the hoof had something to do with the devil -- Eula maybe. But no, I was innocent, I was not prepared for Faulkner's mindset,  it's a fking cow.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on October 14, 2022, 11:23:37 AM
I have now met Ike, and his love for a cow. This is the only novel I know with a highly poetic celebration of bestiality.

Then he would hear her, coming down the creekside in tthe mist. It would not be after one hour, two hours, three; the dawn would be empty, the moment and she would not be, then he would hear her and he would lie drenched in the wet grass, serene and one and indivisible in joy, listening to her approach. He would smell her; the whole mist reeked with her; the same malleate hands of mist which drew along his prone drenched flanks palped her pearled barrel too and shaped them both somewhere in immediate time, already married. He would not move. He would lie amid the waking instant of earth's teeming life, the motionless fronds of water-heavy grasses stooping into the mist before his face in black, fixed curves, along each parabola of which the marching drops held in minute magnification the dawn's rosy miniatures, smelling and even tasting the rich, slow, warm barn-reek milk-reek, the flowing immemorial female, hearing the slow planting and the plopping suck of each deliberate cloven mud-spreading hoof, invisible still in the mist loud with its hymeneal choristers.

Then he would see her; the bright thin horns of morning, of sun, would blow the mist away and reveal her, planted, blond, dew-pearled, standing in the parted water of the ford, blowing into the water the thick, warm, heavy, milk-laden breath; and lying in the drenched grasses, his eyes now blind with sun, he would wallow faintly from thigh to thigh, making a faint, thick, hoarse moaning sound. Because he cannot make one with her through the day's morning and noon and evening. It is not that he must return to work. There is no work, no travail, no muscular and spiritual reluctance to overcome, constantly war against; yesterday was not, tomorrow is not, today is merely a placid and virginal astonishment at the creeping ridge of dust and trash in front of the broom, at sheets coming smooth and taut at certain remembered motions of the hands—a routine grooved, irk-loss; a firm gentle compelling hand, a voice to hold and control him through joy out of kindness as a dog is taught and held.

When I first read it I thought he was looking at a woman, and the reference to the hoof had something to do with the devil -- Eula maybe. But no, I was innocent, I was not prepared for Faulkner's mindset,  it's a fking cow.

Well, Kazantzakis ends The Last Temptation by having a character shift from raping a sheep to raping a woman in the middle of a paragraph.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Maybe it's just my urban prudishness which makes me so surprised. Presumably if you've been born and bred in farming then you're used to at least hearing of people enjoying bestiality. 

I've never read Kazantzakis, though I've frequently had it in mind to.

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on October 14, 2022, 11:40:19 PM
Maybe it's just my urban prudishness which makes me so surprised. Presumably if you've been born and bred in farming then you're used to at least hearing of people enjoying bestiality. 

I'm urban too--btw, I got a bit mixed up.  It's The Greek Passion that ends that way.

Do try Kazantzakis--but I have no idea what you'll think of him.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Library at Night. Alberto Manguel.

Florestan

Informative and well-written. It stresses and documents the important, decisive influence that Italian opera / vocal music had on the development of instrrumental music (sonatas, symphonies, concertos) --- a fact which is often downplayed in the Germanocentric history of music.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ganondorf

Quote from: Mandryka on October 13, 2022, 07:39:34 AM
Before giving up on late Henry James, let me urge you to try, if you can bring yourself, The Golden Bowl.

I have been meaning to read The Golden Bowl, having heard it is James's best. I actually checked a bit of it in library one day. Probably will borrow it the next time. Great expectations especially considering James had great influence on development of one of my favorite games of all time, Red Dead Redemption 2.

Spotted Horses

James Joyce, Faulkner, Henry James; interesting that incomprehensibility as a literary movement seemed to peak in the early to mid 20th century, then receded, leaving us with books that we can understand. Then came the incomprehensible movies, such as Mulholland Drive.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Ganondorf

Then again Orwell, Mann and Shaw write in very clear style.  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 21, 2022, 08:34:32 AM
James Joyce, Faulkner, Henry James; interesting that incomprehensibility as a literary movement seemed to peak in the early to mid 20th century, then receded, leaving us with books that we can understand. Then came the incomprehensible movies, such as Mulholland Drive.

Since 1980 IMO. It's been all downhill in English literature since Worstward Ho! 

Verena

Quote from: Mandryka on October 14, 2022, 11:40:19 PM

Quote from: Mandryka on October 14, 2022, 11:23:37 AM

Hello Howard, I can't resist to chip in with a possibly completely irrelevant remark. But bestiality is the least word that comes to mind when I hear the word "cow".
Cows can be among the kindest souls on earth if treated well, very social and pretty intelligent; some sanctuaries have started offering "cow cuddling", it's like a therapy. If I had the money and physical fitness, I'd open a sanctuary for them. I once asked my dog veterinarian whether she is a "cat type" or a "dog type" and she told me if she could afford it, she'd prefer to have a cow. Today I know why.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

JBS

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 21, 2022, 08:34:32 AM

They were trying out stream-of-conciousness, trying to represent the ebb, flow, flying off into tangents as we think and sense, of the human mind, observing, feeling, analyzing, in turn and sometimes all at once.  Virginia Woolf was another one of that school, although her sentences tended to be more structured and more grammatical.

Joyce (in Finnegan's Wake) tried what might be called stream-of-subconciousness.

They can be rather heavy going, but I'm not sure they can be called incomprehensible--with the glaring exception of Finnegan's Wake.

ritter

In the "Antique and Used Book Fair" here in Madrid last week, I managed to get an affordable and well-preserved copy of the 1944 2-volume edition of Ramón del Valle-Inclán's complete works.

So, I'm revisiting (after many decades) the four Sonatas (Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter), which constitute the "gentle memoirs" of the fictional Marqués de Bradomín* (who was an "admirable Don Juan" and "ugly, catholic and sentimental", and seen by many critics as an alter ego of the author). The 4 short novellas (from 1902 - 1905) are widely regarded as one of the summits of modernist prose in the Spanish language.

* In what was a nice gesture, King Juan Carlos I in 1981 granted the title of Marqués de Bradomín to Valle-Inclán's son, "wanting to show [his] Royal appreciation to the memory of the great writer and to give reality to the literary creation of a fictional character".

Ganondorf

Started reading The Golden Bowl yesterday. This may take some time as the book is relatively long and with Henry James you need to read carefully plus I've heard this is exceptionally complex and subtle book, even for Henry James.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 22, 2022, 10:18:36 AM
In the "Antique and Used Book Fair" here in Madrid last week, I managed to get an affordable and well-preserved copy of the 1944 2-volume edition of Ramón del Valle-Inclán's complete works.

So, I'm revisiting (after many decades) the four Sonatas (Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter), which constitute the "gentle memoirs" of the fictional Marqués de Bradomín* (who was an "admirable Don Juan" and "ugly, catholic and sentimental", and seen by many critics as an alter ego of the author). The 4 short novellas (from 1902 - 1905) are widely regarded as one of the summits of modernist prose in the Spanish language.

* In what was a nice gesture, King Juan Carlos I in 1981 granted the title of Marqués de Bradomín to Valle-Inclán's son, "wanting to show [his] Royal appreciation to the memory of the great writer and to give reality to the literary creation of a fictional character".

I have --- and enjoyed greatly --- the Romanian translation whose title reads The Loves of the Marquis of Bradomin

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 23, 2022, 07:15:03 AM
I have --- and enjoyed greatly --- the Romanian translation whose title reads The Loves of the Marquis of Bradomin

Great, Andrei! I'm enjoying the Sonatas tremendously (and the edition I managed to get is an object of beauty in itself).

BTW, last night I attended a performance of Valle's "children's farse" La Cabeza del dragón (The Dragon's Head) at the Teatro María Guerrero (where the Spanish National Theatre Company --Centro Dramático Nacional-- is headquartered). It was great fun, and first-rate theatre. The stalls were studded with golden effigies of Valle-Inclán:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Universal Man: The Lives of John Maynard Keynes. Richard Davenport-Hines.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 24, 2022, 01:45:51 PM
Universal Man: The Lives of John Maynard Keynes. Richard Davenport-Hines.

We live quite near to Charleston Farmhouse where members of the Bloomsbury Group (including Keynes) lived or visited.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).