What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 17, 2022, 11:25:19 AMWhat was it about to cover such a prima facie diverse range of prose writers?

They have been my favorite authors since I was around 12-3 y/o. Protagonists tend to live in a dilemma between social norms and philosophical/aesthetic beliefs. Plus their works present exciting, entertaining plots. Tolstoy used to be in the group when I was a kid, but not anymore.

P.s. I still recommend Red and Black to you.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 17, 2022, 11:55:33 AMProtagonists tend to live in a dilemma between social norms and philosophical/aesthetic beliefs.

Ah. I see.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MN Dave

Demiurge - Lovecraftian stories by Michael Shea
Paperback Jack by Loren Estleman (novel)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Irons

Has anybody read E.M. Forster? I have "Passage to India" but thought to warm up with a collection of short stories. All written prior to WWI, much to my surprise decidedly weird with elements of supernatural. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 19, 2022, 11:47:18 PMHas anybody read E.M. Forster? I have "Passage to India" but thought to warm up with a collection of short stories. All written prior to WWI, much to my surprise decidedly weird with elements of supernatural. 
My wife really enjoyed 'A Passage to India' I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MN Dave

A Case of Conscience- James Blish (sf)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 20, 2022, 12:11:12 AMMy wife really enjoyed 'A Passage to India' I think.

Although I cannot claim to be in any shape or form a bookworm I enjoy the BBC TV programme Between the Covers the presenter Sara Cox is brilliant. One of the guests in an episode claimed Forster's book "Howards End" was life changing! :o 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

JBS

Quote from: Irons on December 19, 2022, 11:47:18 PMHas anybody read E.M. Forster? I have "Passage to India" but thought to warm up with a collection of short stories. All written prior to WWI, much to my surprise decidedly weird with elements of supernatural. 

I read PtI and HE years ago. I'd say both are very good, but I preferHE slightly.

The Merchant/Ivory film of HE was excellent, but Forster's style is the sort that needs to be read, and doesn't translate well to film.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Quote from: JBS on December 20, 2022, 11:42:39 AMI read PtI and HE years ago. I'd say both are very good, but I preferHE slightly.

The Merchant/Ivory film of HE was excellent, but Forster's style is the sort that needs to be read, and doesn't translate well to film.

Thanks.

vandermolen

'Soul Therapy' by Thomas Moore
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 12:43:11 PMNot yet reading, but just bought: Thomas Mann - Complete Short Stories & Novellas, Romanian translation in two volumes.

Started the first volume. So far, so good. Mann's themes are recognizable, albeit on a smaller scale than in his novels --- the main one, which I think was his obsession, being the conflict between art and life, aesthetics and ethics. When I was younger, I was decidedly in favor of art; now that I just turned 50, I am decidedly in favor of life.  ;D 
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Passing On, Penelope Lively.

The book begins with the funeral of a domineering mother and describes how her three children, Louise, Edward and Helen, come to live out of her shadow. Not quite as "literary" as my usual fare, but I needed something relatively light at present.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Ganondorf

Started relatively recently Virginia Woolf's To The Lighthouse. If I recall correctly, the only other Woolf work I've read is Orlando.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on December 21, 2022, 12:35:35 PMStarted the first volume. So far, so good. Mann's themes are recognizable, albeit on a smaller scale than in his novels --- the main one, which I think was his obsession, being the conflict between art and life, aesthetics and ethics. When I was younger, I was decidedly in favor of art; now that I just turned 50, I am decidedly in favor of life.  ;D 

While Death in Venice is great, Tonio Kroeger is very good as well.

Bachtoven

A dark, gritty, and violent novel about revenge. The title suggests this is not a fun, light read, and it isn't, but it's still very compelling.

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on October 04, 2022, 07:49:55 AMI have read a couple of novels by Jenny Erpenbeck recently. Very powerful stuff with a strong connection to central European history.
Thank you for this recommendation. I am just on the final chapter of Visitation (in German, Heimsuchung). Her style is powerful, the stories are very emotional even with a somewhat detached tone. There is a way in which one is like the other, so that the first ones are best and most surprising (before you understand that each one contains a tragic mystery fully revealed at the end). But it has been a memorable reading experience. At only 150 pages, it has the strength and importance of something much longer.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 26, 2022, 05:49:53 PMI love the book, movie, and movie soundtrack, but didn't know about this!

Revisiting it last night I felt that it was really difficult, all the stuff about writing especially. I'd quite like to read some secondary literature but I don't know what's good and what's not. Maybe @ritter has some ideas.  She didn't approve of the film - I've not seen it.

It also made me think how poor other writers of autofiction are by comparison - Annie Ernaux especially - I can't understand how Ernaux deserves a Nobel Prize.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 26, 2022, 08:05:05 PMRevisiting it last night I felt that it was really difficult, all the stuff about writing especially. I'd quite like to read some secondary literature but I don't know what's good and what's not. Maybe @ritter has some ideas.  She didn't approve of the film - I've not seen it.

It also made me think how poor other writers of autofiction are by comparison - Annie Ernaux especially - I can't understand how Ernaux deserves a Nobel Prize.

Yes the story is fragmented and dispersed. But I liked her views and expressions. I watched the movie before reading the book, and probably Jeanne Moreau's narration helped me. I respect Duras disapproval, but the movie is fairly excellent by the standard of European and American popular films today. Good cinematography, nice music, and again, good narrations from the original book. Chopin Waltz is effectively used at the end of the movie.

Artem

My exposure to Annie Ernaux has been very limited so far. I read only one of her novels translated into Russian language. I've been very much impressed by her direct writing style. Happening was easily one of the best books I read this year.

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on December 27, 2022, 06:40:21 AMMy exposure to Annie Ernaux has been very limited so far. I read only one of her novels translated into Russian language. I've been very much impressed by her direct writing style. Happening was easily one of the best books I read this year.

"Direct writing style" is the right phrase.