What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

^I read Stoner last year, liked it so much I got a copy of it for my dad for Christmas. He also loved it.

I'm about halfway through Ben Lerner's The Topeka School. Very interesting book; like the semi-autobiographical protagonist, I was also a boy raised by psychologist parents, albeit a little bit later on. I do not like it as much as Leaving the Atocha Station by a long shot; I get the impression that the author is trying to touch on as many "hot-button issues" as possible, to variable success. Who am I to knock the author's lived experience, but I don't believe that Lerner really gets at the essence of adolescent masculinity (particularly the "toxic" flavor) in our times, as seems to be the author's intent. However it is entertaining and I like the setting and characters, though some seem flatter than others.

San Antone

This showed up on my Kindle this week - a pre-order that I forgot about.  It is very good, although there are some glaring typographical errors which I assume will be corrected in future editions.

Sondheim: His Life, His Shows, His Legacy

AnotherSpin

vandermolen

Quote from: AnotherSpin on September 19, 2023, 05:51:30 AMThanks to everyone who mentioned it earlier. It's a terrific book. Just finished.

Good to know. My son-in-law bought it for me last Christmas but I haven't read it yet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mookalafalas

Reads like a novel. Can't put it down.
It's all good...

vers la flamme

Quote from: AnotherSpin on September 21, 2023, 09:58:16 PMSomewhere in the middle

Read this in the winter. Loved it. I need to get around to reading volume 2.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

AnotherSpin

vers la flamme

Quote from: AnotherSpin on September 25, 2023, 03:31:11 AM

Very very good writer. Read The Makioka Sisters if you haven't, and if you have time for a fairly long book. (DBK, one of our other Tanizaki fans, doesn't like it, but I thought it was a beautiful book.) I haven't read that one, but may head back to Kinokuniya to get a copy, if you say it's worth it  ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2023, 05:49:52 AMVery very good writer. Read The Makioka Sisters if you haven't, and if you have time for a fairly long book. (DBK, one of our other Tanizaki fans, doesn't like it, but I thought it was a beautiful book.) I haven't read that one, but may head back to Kinokuniya to get a copy, if you say it's worth it  ;D

I will get the Japanese edition of Makioka sisters next year. I tend to prefer his early short stories to the later works. As I mentioned before, I think the book below is vg. "Secret" is about a cross-dresser in Tokyo before WWI, and "Children" is about a sado-masochistic play by children.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/19/books/sensation.html

https://www.complete-review.com/reviews/tanizaki/gourmet_club.htm

Harry

I am trying to read the complete works by Anthony Trollope. So far so good. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 25, 2023, 06:11:37 AMI will get the Japanese edition of Makioka sisters next year. I tend to prefer his early short stories to the later works. As I mentioned before, I think the book below is vg. "Secret" is about a cross-dresser in Tokyo before WWI, and "Children" is about a sado-masochistic play by children.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/19/books/sensation.html

https://www.complete-review.com/reviews/tanizaki/gourmet_club.htm

I bought it shortly after you recommended it to me in the spring, but haven't read it yet. Now it's on a moving truck somewhere with the rest of my personal effects, none of which I have seen in over a month :'( I think I'll read it as soon as my stuff comes. I have been wanting to read more Tanizaki.

Currently reading a book called The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. So far so good. Kind of reminds me of a funny, Southern Camus.

ando

Not sure how many poetry lovers there are on the board but I'm finally (seriously) tackling Gjertrud Schnackenberg's Heavely Questions (2011 Farrar, Straus and Giroux); "six long poems, Schnackenberg's rhyme-rich blank verse, with its densely packed images, shifts effortlessly between the lyric and the epic, setting passion to a verbal music that is recognizably her own." - B&N

The description doesn't tell you anything but it is, indeed, a kind of masterwork reminiscent of no other poet I know. Recommended.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2023, 05:49:52 AMVery very good writer. Read The Makioka Sisters if you haven't, and if you have time for a fairly long book. (DBK, one of our other Tanizaki fans, doesn't like it, but I thought it was a beautiful book.) I haven't read that one, but may head back to Kinokuniya to get a copy, if you say it's worth it  ;D

Thank you. I've read this book many years ago, in Russian translation it's titled The Fine Snow, I think it's closer to the original. I've been a fan of Tanizaki for decades (he and Kawabata are very dear for me from 70s), and have read almost all translated into Russian and many books translated to English. Diary of a Mad Old Man is the last one I read. My favourite book of his is In Praise of Shadows. It had a decisive influence on my ideas about design and decoration and my attitude to things.

Edit: Oh yes, definitely worth a read. But I'm biased :-)

vers la flamme

Quote from: AnotherSpin on September 25, 2023, 06:47:38 AMThank you. I've read this book many years ago, in Russian translation it's titled The Fine Snow, I think it's closer to the original. I've been a fan of Tanizaki for decades (he and Kawabata are very dear for me from 70s), and have read almost all translated into Russian and many books translated to English. Diary of a Mad Old Man is the last one I read. My favourite book of his is In Praise of Shadows. It had a decisive influence on my ideas about design and decoration and my attitude to things.

Edit: Oh yes, definitely worth a read. But I'm biased :-)

I also loved In Praise of Shadows. I'll have to read it again. (Big Kawabata fan as well, one of my favorite Japanese writers.) Thanks.

andolink

112 pgs. into my third novel by Jen Craig and loving it just as much as the other two - -

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

AnotherSpin

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mookalafalas

Quote from: AnotherSpin on September 19, 2023, 05:51:30 AMThanks to everyone who mentioned it earlier. It's a terrific book. Just finished.

[/quote

Just a couple of chapters in, but very impressed. Thanks for recommendation (and to those "who mentioned it earlier).
It's all good...