What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on July 09, 2024, 10:38:07 PMThe Faulkner nobody ever talks about is A Fable.

His last book; the only one I haven't read yet; and not a book I am drawn to, from what I've read about it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Papy Oli

Olivier

vers la flamme

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 10, 2024, 02:16:12 PMStarted Wuthering Heights.

An incredible book! I just reread it last winter, and think I might reread it again this winter.

Just finished Zola's Thérèse Raquin. I was absolutely blown away by this one, too... much more of a psychological thriller, with none of the socio-economic examinations of Germinal, but not really the worse for it. I loved all of the characters, even the incredibly screwed-up ones... Zola continues to quickly grow in my estimation. Very happy to have given him a shot after thinking he wouldn't be for me. My embargo against French literature has come to an end...

My copy of Raquin featured an excellent translation by Robin Buss, who did the translation of The Count of Monte Cristo which I read and loved so much earlier in the year, and this one was also very good. Going to read his translation of L'Assommoir very soon.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 10, 2024, 04:04:36 PMAn incredible book! I just reread it last winter, and think I might reread it again this winter.

Just finished Zola's Thérèse Raquin. I was absolutely blown away by this one, too... much more of a psychological thriller, with none of the socio-economic examinations of Germinal, but not really the worse for it. I loved all of the characters, even the incredibly screwed-up ones... Zola continues to quickly grow in my estimation. Very happy to have given him a shot after thinking he wouldn't be for me. My embargo against French literature has come to an end...

Red and Black is waiting for you!  😄

SimonNZ

AnotherSpin

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 10, 2024, 04:04:36 PMAn incredible book! I just reread it last winter, and think I might reread it again this winter.

My copy of Raquin featured an excellent translation by Robin Buss, who did the translation of The Count of Monte Cristo which I read and loved so much earlier in the year, and this one was also very good. Going to read his translation of L'Assommoir very soon.

What prompted you to resort to such radical measures? ;)

AnotherSpin