The Back Room > The Diner

What are you currently reading?

<< < (4/2400) > >>

Bogey:

--- Quote from: bwv 1080 on April 09, 2007, 05:21:10 AM ---Focusing on the major campaigns, skipping the minor ones and Northern politics (I just read Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals)
--- End quote ---

Just started it....again.  Was going to read it some time ago, but got sidetracked with other reading.  However picked it up again and just finished Chapter 1 last night.  A good read so far....I am especially fascinated with the portrayals of Seward and Chase so far.

Bogey:

--- Quote from: SonicMan on April 09, 2007, 05:42:18 AM ---Bill - good morn to you; yes, I read the Foote volumes many years ago (no longer have them, but probably should buy them again for a re-read; he was just an outstanding 'story teller' - love him on the Ken Burn's series on the Civil War, which would be my recommendation for a 'video' set to those just getting into this period of American History).

The Foote series may be somewhat 'daunting' for those wanting an introduction to the American Civil War; although innumerable books exist on this subject (and numerous sub-topic), my 'one-volume' recommendation would be Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson (published in 1988) - winner of the Pulitzer Prize and now an inexpensive paperback.

Concerning the Gary Gallagher DVD set, I did pay the $129 (which is their sale price for the 8 DVDs - 24 hrs of lectures in total, so takes a while); I did have a CD set in the past but sent it to my father; the DVDs are much more engrossing - Gallagher is superb in this material and the addition of photos & battle maps as visuals is more enjoyable.  Dave  :)

--- End quote ---

Dave,
Thanks for the info.  By the way, the Foote series in hardback is on sale at Amazon.  I may replace my paperbacks with them.

uffeviking:
Of course it's good, otherwise I would not have read it a few minutes ago. And it's good because it's not about War, but Peace!

It's Allen Ginsberg's Howl.

This afternoon I spent less than hour watching my lasted DVD purchase: An Elegy for Allen Ginsberg and the next logical step was to reread his 'Howl', prominently mentioned and intelligently discussed by William F. Buckley, Philip Glass and many other of his friends.

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: uffeviking on April 09, 2007, 02:16:51 PM ---Of course it's good, otherwise I would not have read it a few minutes ago. And it's good because it's not about War, but Peace!

It's Allen Ginsberg's Howl.

--- End quote ---

Oh, what you want now, Lis, is to listen to The Fugs  :D

uffeviking:

--- Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2007, 02:19:51 PM ---Oh, what you want now, Lis, is to listen to The Fugs  :D

--- End quote ---

Who are they? The Fuggers? Their family started in the 16th century and still some of them around, but I didn't know they were in the recording business!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version