What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Starting in on this new comic series from DC:

More about the character here:

http://willeisner.com/spirit/index.html
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

val

Almost finishing Stephen Jay Gould's "The structure of the theory of evolution". Perhaps too long but fascinating.

not edward

I started to reread The Good Soldier Švejk yesterday. Extremely childish it may be, but it's scabrously funny and often very much to the point...
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

sidoze

Has anyone read À rebours by Joris-Karl Huysmans?

Florestan

Quote from: sidoze on July 19, 2007, 03:46:34 AM
Has anyone read À rebours by Joris-Karl Huysmans?

I've started reading it but never finished. :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Tancata

Quote from: val on July 19, 2007, 12:53:58 AM
Almost finishing Stephen Jay Gould's "The structure of the theory of evolution". Perhaps too long but fascinating.

Lol..good luck with that. It's almost like he's trying to be impenetrable with that book... so differently written to his popular science stuff.

LaciDeeLeBlanc

Not a light read at all, but totally worth it! I'd reccommend it to anyone.

Haffner

This book is so-so reading, but as most of you have guessed, I Believe.

Haffner

Quote from: Tancata on July 19, 2007, 04:01:39 AM
Lol..good luck with that. It's almost like he's trying to be impenetrable with that book... so differently written to his popular science stuff.

That can be a tough (and somewhat dubious) book. But just try Hegel's Philosophy of History!

Kiddiarni

Quote from: Oscar WildeThere is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Kullervo

BWV's mention of Haroun and the Sea of Stories prompted me to pick it up from the library. I've read about half of it so far and I love it.

sidoze

Bogey

From an Amazon reviewer:
Santoli presents one of the best views of the Vietnam war in his simple approach that says far more than many of the other accounts. It takes a look at 33 people from soldiers to CIA to nurses and tracks their experiences in a memoir form of the war. These are sometimes very short no more than a page and the longest ranges about 10 pages. It is very clearly written and the interviews are top notch. It is one of the few books that shows how horrifying it was to be a non combatant as well as a combatant. The nature of the war is expressed clearer here than most books that focus on a specific battle.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Danny

The Devils by Dostoevsky, as translated by David Magarshack.

And yes, it is good.

Also, just finished Bread and Wine by Ignazio Silone.

A masterpiece, I tell you!

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

finished Gravity's Rainbow... that is one very STRANGE book! I'd read it again & again though, I like the dark humour. Now I'm on to:

I've read part of it before; hopefully I can make it all the way through this time! Mel Watkins (one of a few people who could be called "Canada's Chomsky") wrote the following in the intro: "the Social Science Federation of Canada decides to honour the 20 most outstanding books among the some 2,000 titles that have been subsidized over the 50 years in which this has been done. Two books in Canadian economic history make the list. The first is the monumental Fur Trade in Canada by the great Harold Innis. The second is History of Canadian Business 1867-1914 by R.T. Naylor. Enough said. Read on."

It's also the book that has the following as an epigram:
Quote"Independence is a farce. Canada must belong either to the British system or the American system... If we had to make the choice between independence and annexation, I would rather that we should have annexation and join with the United States at once." -- John A MacDonald, Canada's 1st Prime Minister
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

Novi

Quote from: biber fan on July 22, 2007, 12:25:12 AM
finished Gravity's Rainbow... that is one very STRANGE book! I'd read it again & again though, I like the dark humour.

Hey, biber fan, the first time I read Gravity's Rainbow, I didn't get it at all, and thought, huh? Then I read it again without trying to make logical sense of it and enjoyed it a lot more.

To those asinine people who claim that Americans 'don't do irony,' I say, 'two words: Thomas Pynchon' :D.

I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment. I read most of Against the Day on holiday at my dad's and couldn't be bother lugging it back for the last 100 pages or so, but can't seem to find it in any library here :'(. And my memory being what it is, I've already forgotten what's happened in the book so far :-\.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

bwv 1080

BTW Against the Day is on sale at Amazon (US) for $7

Why are Pynchon's books always overprinted?  Mason & Dixon and Vineland were also available in the bargain bin within a year of their publication.

Haffner

Tremendous Inspiration for me!

Steve

Tancata