What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

This is an early biography of Sinatra by a former aide. Wilson was in Sinatras inner circle for 20+ years then found himself suddenly barred from his concerts and life...he never found out why...

Its a light read with a slightly different take on all the familiar stories. :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Steve

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

For perhaps the 10th time...  :)

Harry

You chaps have still time reading other than the newspaper?
I am amazed!
Music listening leaves me no time for that, apart from the complete works of Charles Dickens, but that's only natural right?

Maciek

Quote from: bhodges on July 30, 2007, 06:22:09 AM
The score to Louis Andriessen's Workers' Union (from Donemus), which a friend lent me over the weekend.  Fascinating to see the instructions Andriessen gives, to create the results he wants.

--Bruce

Bruce, stop ruining this perfectly decent DINER thread! People are trying to relax... :P ;)

bhodges

Quote from: Maciek on July 31, 2007, 01:59:52 PM
Bruce, stop ruining this perfectly decent DINER thread! People are trying to relax... :P ;)

;D

--Bruce

George

Quote from: orbital on July 31, 2007, 01:03:36 PM
That would be Without Feathers and Getting Even for me.

Woody's new book came out, but still in hardcover. I have a thing against hardcovers unless they are really thick books. I'll have to wait for the paperback I guess.

Or check the Strand?

Kullervo

orbital

Quote from: George on August 01, 2007, 05:40:43 AM
Or check the Strand?
yes perhaps, but it is not the price that puts me off. The book seems to be thin, probably 200-250pp. I find hardcovers uncomfortable to read mostly. When the book is 700+pp the paperback versions may have the tendency to disintegrate (particularly with books from Vintage I've found out), so I opt for hardcovers there.

George

Quote from: orbital on August 01, 2007, 08:53:51 AM
yes perhaps, but it is not the price that puts me off. The book seems to be thin, probably 200-250pp. I find hardcovers uncomfortable to read mostly. When the book is 700+pp the paperback versions may have the tendency to disintegrate (particularly with books from Vintage I've found out), so I opt for hardcovers there.

Gotcha!

jfmac

Just finished the last Harry Potter book and John Sanfords  "Invisible Prey"

Yes, they were both good.

Kullervo

Just picked up Taras Bulba today. If it's anything like the other Gogol I've read, it'll be a quick read.

Danny

Quote from: Kullervo on August 01, 2007, 05:31:08 PM
Just picked up Taras Bulba today. If it's anything like the other Gogol I've read, it'll be a quick read.

A masterpiece; I love the intro when he wrestles his oldest son.  Really sets the pace for the rest of the story.

Right now am reading "The Idiot" by Fedya.  "The Devils" convinced me to give the other a re-read. 

I think I've read very few books that were at perceptive, profound, and illuminating as "The Devils."  The Stavrogins, Verkhonevskys, Shatov, and Kirilov are, perhaps, the most intriguing and thought-provoking group of characters I've come across. 

You might even say that the book predicted all of the turmoil that would later happen "from May to October."

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Maciek on July 31, 2007, 01:59:52 PM

Yeah, relaxation is all we can do in this stifling heat.

Currently poring over this classic:

not edward

A fine book that includes Berlioz's severed head and a cameo from Dr. Stravinsky. :)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

LaciDeeLeBlanc

Arnold Jacobs the Legacy of a Master the Personal and Pedagogical Recollections of 31 of His Colleagues Students and Friends

Collected by M. Dee Stewart

Every serious brass player should read this book.  Truly, if you want an insight to the world of brass playing, read it.

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Danny

Part II of "The Idiot" by Fedya.  So far, a much more enjoyable and exciting re-read, even if I think it lacks the vitality and intellectual power of "The Devils."

M forever

Picked this up when I was at the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock, AR, recently, and just started reading it:

sidoze

about to finish The Third Policeman--not quite so funny after 5 years, which of course is more my fault than his--plan to read the complete works of Isaac Babel again, one of the most engaging and I'd say natural storytellers I've read. He's slowly, ever so slowly getting some recognition in the west. 1000 pages here I go.

Harry

J.K. Rowling.

Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows. ;D