What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2012, 09:48:37 AM
Navneeth, the story isn't really about the plot but about the characters.  If you knew the entire plot, it still wouldn't spoil the story.

Understood. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on June 06, 2012, 09:21:57 AM
Was just speaking to a co-worker who likes The Time-Traveller's Wife very much.  I've given her to understand that, if anything, she will enjoy HFS yet more : )

I'd say that too, and yet curiously the majority of fans of TTTW seem to have been disappointed by HFS. Perversely, I read HFS first (several times over) and was a bit disappointed when I read TTTW later; or rather, I responded to TTTW as a good, well-told tale, but HFS was more like a direct lightning strike, with more hits on repeated reading.

Karl Henning

Well, if my co-worker find HFS at all disappointing, she will receive that experience philosophically . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Her Fearful Symmetry was an exceptional read, thanks for the recommendation Elgarian.

Elgarian

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2012, 05:40:30 PM
Her Fearful Symmetry was an exceptional read, thanks for the recommendation Elgarian.

Thanks for letting me know Dave. I'm glad it worked out, because although I'm besotted with the book myself, I know its reception has been very mixed - so actually recommending it to other folks is a risky pastime!

Opus106

Quote from: Elgarian on June 06, 2012, 11:37:53 PM
I know its reception has been very mixed - so actually recommending it to other folks is a risky pastime!

Not that it needs reminding, but this is GMG. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

val

CLAUDE LÉVI-STRAUSS:      "L'Anthropologie face aux problèmes du monde moderne"

This book is composed by three lectures gave by Levi-Strauss in Japan in 1986. There is nothing new here,  most of the ideas having been more deeply expressed is his great works like "Tristes Tropiques" or "La Pensée sauvage".
Anyway a good introduction to the work of Levi-Strauss.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on June 06, 2012, 11:37:53 PM
Thanks for letting me know Dave. I'm glad it worked out, because although I'm besotted with the book myself, I know its reception has been very mixed - so actually recommending it to other folks is a risky pastime!

Dude, I've just now finished. The ending in particular is perfect. I'm marveling at how very well wrought the whole story is. So many turns in the narrative which are sharply dramatic, and yet consummately staged. Rather hard cheese on ... the crow-rider, but if that be perhaps the one niggling dissatisfaction I feel, it is slight. A little time, even, will probably iron it over, and I shall simply find it a smooth, perfect fabric.

Again, one of the things over which I chuckle with quiet pleasure is: if someone had summarized the story in a (longish) paragraph, I might well have found it "creepy," and felt, no, not at all the thing I take pleasure in reading. But (on lines of a comment of Davey's) it is a touching story entangling a number of interesting, and likeable (though enfoibled) characters ... what's going to happen to them?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Nav, don't read this before you've read the book!

*** Her Fearful Symmetry SPOILER ALERT !!! ***

Alan & Davey . . . I really enjoyed how Niffenegger set up the kitten episode with Elspeth "killing" the telly.  And I totally got that gut presentiment, that it would not be V. who was "reanimated" — nor do I think it was baldly telegraphed.  I like the hint, from Robert's cautionary remark to V., that Elspeth has reasons behind her reasons, that this was the intention all along.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I saw that plot twist coming a mile away, but it still shocked me!

I liked how every character got what they needed but not necessarily what they wanted.

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2012, 04:33:29 AM

Alan & Davey . . . I really enjoyed how Niffenegger set up the kitten episode with Elspeth "killing" the telly.  And I totally got that gut presentiment, that it would not be V. who was "reanimated" — nor do I think it was baldly telegraphed.  I like the hint, from Robert's cautionary remark to V., that Elspeth has reasons behind her reasons, that this was the intention all along.

MORE HFS SPOILERS NAVNEETH - AVOID!

Being generally slow on the uptake (particularly when reading novels), I missed quite a lot on my first reading of the book but picked up a lot more on my second.

I thought that comment of Robert's about Elspeth having 'reasons behind her reasons' was one of the little treasures of human understanding that are studded through the book like diamonds.

Also on my first reading I was puzzled about what Robert's sudden insight (not explicitly explained) was, in the library, a few pages before the end. It was only after the second reading that I understood what it was, how it linked to the closing sentence of the book, and indeed to the entire theme of the novel. Just call me Speedy.

It still gives me thrilling little shivers, even now, just thinking about this tale, and these people, and how it all wraps together in such satisfying ways.

Karl Henning

A very cool book, indeed. Thanks for bringing it to my/our attention, Alan!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2012, 06:38:38 AM
I liked how every character got what they needed but not necessarily what they wanted.

Do you think Elspeth gets what she needs? (I think it could go either way.)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on June 07, 2012, 12:18:05 PM

I'm not sure which is worse, Alan: the moral bed which Elspeth has made and must now lie in, or the fact that (unlike Robert) she seems to have the stomach for it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2012, 12:24:17 PM

I'm not sure which is worse, Alan: the moral bed which Elspeth has made and must now lie in, or the fact that (unlike Robert) she seems to have the stomach for it.

Yes, there's something  dismaying about that, whichever way one looks at it.

DavidW

Quote from: Elgarian on June 07, 2012, 12:18:05 PM

Yeah I think she always needed to be a mother.

Elgarian

SPOILER ALERT!

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2012, 01:34:55 PM
Yeah I think she always needed to be a mother.

I like the simplicity of that, but feel I can't be sure because the 'motherhood' situation  is so intricately complicated by the relations between Elspeth and her sister, and Julia and Valentina, and also the ultimate loss of Robert. Hard to weigh up the gains and losses!

springrite

As a frequent traveler, often one-city-per-day for weeks on end, I never complain about flight delays and cancelations. That is because I always bring music and books. A delay just give me a chance to read, which I usually don't have time for.

Yesterday's delay gave me the chance to finish reading this:

"Serving Genius", a biography of Carlo Maria Giulini.

Always loved this man, and more so now than ever. I had tears many times as I was reading.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Bogey

Quote from: Bogey on June 05, 2012, 07:50:40 PM
Decided to introduce myself to some Asimov.  Starting with this:

I'm hooked....roared throught the above in basically two days and now for the sequel:

A nicely written murder mystery in the first, and now I want to see what happens to the characters in the second novel.  Thanks for your guidance here, David.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW