What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Finished Benjamin Franklin's Bastard: A Novel - I picked this book up in a Kindle sale, thinking since it was historical fiction that I might enjoy it. I am actually surprised by how well I liked it. It certainly is a page turner that reminds me of Downton Abbey - a soap opera with higher production values. Apart from an anachronistic reference to an Emerson quote, I very much enjoyed this book.

Started The Book Of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly

[asin]B000JMKVJE[/asin]

mn dave

these...
[asin]0812978153[/asin]
[asin]0553582038[/asin]
[asin]0306810018[/asin]
All pretty kick-ass, but the Joe Jackson especially so.

Karl Henning

"... a relentlessly pugnacious city ..." nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on June 02, 2014, 06:46:09 AM
"... a relentlessly pugnacious city ..." nice!

I dare say you would enjoy that Joe Jackson book.

Karl Henning

I've right away sent a sample to my Kindle.  I assume you are right  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on June 02, 2014, 06:51:11 AM
I've right away sent a sample to my Kindle.  I assume you are right  8)

Do let me know if you ever get around to it.

Karl Henning

Will do, but it probably will not be until after the 9th Ear concerts this weekend. Just so's you know, laddie!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on June 02, 2014, 07:01:26 AM
Will do, but it probably will not be until after the 9th Ear concerts this weekend. Just so's you know, laddie!

No rush. :)

Karl Henning

Always something breaking us in two . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

stingo

@MN Dave - I'd like to know what you think of A Feast for Crows, having read it myself a few months ago.

mn dave

Quote from: stingo on June 02, 2014, 07:36:02 AM
@MN Dave - I'd like to know what you think of A Feast for Crows, having read it myself a few months ago.

I am still working my way through it but will let you know when I'm finished. It seems a bit slow moving right now but I don't mind because I enjoy experiencing the different characters.

Jaakko Keskinen

Rereading these two classics:

I think Count of Monte cristo is one of the most perfect books I have ever read. Only minor complaints about it that I have are some of the female characters, (particularly Valentine Villefort but it helps there are a great many staggeringly convincing, even feministic characters such as Danglars's daughter Eugenie) and the fact that Count aka Edmond Dantes's help of Madame Villefort to poison several people in Villefort household is never morally questioned. It's only after Villefort's young son dies that Count thinks he's gone too far in his revenge. However the great parts of the novel outweigh these minor problems outstandingly. The villains are superbly portrayed, from Count himself to manipulating and calculating Danglars, loveable rogue Caderousse, "green eyed monster" Fernand Mondego aka count de Morcerf, and my favorite character in the book, Villefort. He kind of reminds me of Javert, my favorite character in les miserables. Both working in law yet they can be seen as villains (even though anti-villains). They are both so complex.

I have often called Stevenson "Dickens done perfectly".  He is devoid of flaws that Dickens has (mainly over-sentimentalism, divine karmic retribution to almost all villains and weakness of plots, others would probably add black and white-characters but I don't really agree with that). Treasure island is... well, awesome! Hate to sound like a fan boy but it really is! Especially Long John Silver has kind of Steerforth-like charm in him that really makes you root for him. My favorite quote from the book is probably this:

"Well, he's dead now and under hatches; but for two year before that, shiver my timbers, the man was starving! He begged, and he stole, and he cut throats, and starved at that, by the powers!"

I think I should reread Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde too. That is superb novel as well.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

mn dave

Besides the three books above, I'm also reading an advance reading copy of Buster Voodoo by Mason James Cole (a buddy's pen name). Good stuff if you like Stephen King and the like.

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on June 05, 2014, 06:45:50 AM

I have often called Stevenson "Dickens done perfectly".  He is devoid of flaws that Dickens has (mainly over-sentimentalism, divine karmic retribution to almost all villains and weakness of plots, others would probably add black and white-characters but I don't really agree with that). Treasure island is... well, awesome! Hate to sound like a fan boy but it really is! Especially Long John Silver has kind of Steerforth-like charm in him that really makes you root for him. My favorite quote from the book is probably this:

"Well, he's dead now and under hatches; but for two year before that, shiver my timbers, the man was starving! He begged, and he stole, and he cut throats, and starved at that, by the powers!"

You might find this article interesting.

Treasure Island: A Healthy Dose of Danger
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

mn dave

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

mn dave

Oh, and I recommend this one to the urban fantasy fans. Should be out soon!
[asin]0765328550[/asin]

Karl Henning

Those are the bones he wants to jump . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ibanezmonster

Started Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule, but will be taking it pretty slowly, so may finish after a few months...