Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 884028 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #9660 on: February 07, 2020, 09:12:58 AM »
First approach to the work of Claude Simon, with Le jardin des plantes.

I had meant to read some Simon for years, but kept putting it off. Then, last summer, a reference to Le jardin des plantes (by now, I don’t even remember where  :-[), made me order the first volume of his collected works in the Pléiade edition. When I got it, the peculiar page lay-out of this work appeared daunting to me, and I kept postponing reading it. It’s about time now... Voyons.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:43:33 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #9661 on: February 08, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »
Le Jardin des Plantes is a late  one, maybe the last, and it contains references to previous novels. In fact it was the first one I read too.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #9662 on: February 10, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »
Le Jardin des Plantes is a late  one, maybe the last, and it contains references to previous novels. In fact it was the first one I read too.
Yep. I now remember that the book was mentioned in some article on modern painting, as apparently it tells - in a humorous tone - the first private performance of Picasso's Le désir attrapé par la queue in occupied Paris (I haven't reached that point yet, as I couldn't much advance with reading this weekend).

Fortunately, the Pléaide edition is profusely annotated, so any reference to anything (obscure as it may be) is explained with a wealth of background information. These Pléaides are absolute jewels, a summit in the art of publishing.  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:31:42 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #9663 on: February 10, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »
currently:

a second reading, after discussing it with someone last weekend and remembering all my favorite parts

also on the go:

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #9664 on: February 17, 2020, 11:39:35 PM »
1/4 through Moby Dick, but finished this in the meantime:

and finding it as good as I'd heard and can easily see how it became a model for the books that followed it, it retains its power even though being much imitated