What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell_E and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

j winter

Actually you might want the previous volume in the series, to cover most of the Tudors.... I have this too, but haven't read it yet

[asin]0143127918[/asin]
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Kaga2

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 28, 2020, 02:57:07 PM
   I've got that...somewhere. Started it, liked it, got sidetracked--the story of my life. I think I'll track it down and give it another go. It would be the perfect complement to this, which I just started.

[asin]0312429983[/asin]

However, I too am mostly diverted by virus news, and am having trouble sleeping and concentrating. As this book is narratively very challenging, I'm having a hard time really getting into it.

I found it a struggle at first, the odd style, but then something clicked and then it was great. Immersive is the high falutin word they use.

SimonNZ

Anyone impressed by the Wolf Hall series should be sure to get her brilliant big fat novel on the French Revolution, A Place Of Greater Safety.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: j winter on March 28, 2020, 05:31:53 PM
Actually you might want the previous volume in the series, to cover most of the Tudors.... I have this too, but haven't read it yet

Whoa. Didn't even know there was a series. I'll have to look into it...maybe.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 28, 2020, 05:38:50 PM
I found it a struggle at first, the odd style, but then something clicked and then it was great. Immersive is the high falutin word they use.

Yeah, that's what I figured. It seems like that type. I had insomnia most of last night, and read a chunk in the quiet and sort of wondered why I'd been struggling before.
It's all good...

JBS

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 28, 2020, 06:13:46 PM
Whoa. Didn't even know there was a series. I'll have to look into it...maybe.

Yes. The last (or at least latest) was just published here in the US.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mookalafalas

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2020, 06:04:28 PM
Anyone impressed by the Wolf Hall series should be sure to get her brilliant big fat novel on the French Revolution, A Place Of Greater Safety.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll let you know in...1800 pages or so if I'm still not sated with her storytelling ;)
It's all good...

Kaga2

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2020, 06:04:28 PM
Seconded. Read it long ago.
Caveat. Be sure you are up on the basic narrative history of the FR.

Iota

This was rather better than I thought it was going to be - it was lent to me by somebody whose idea of what is good is often at great variance with mine. A touching and involving account of a young cellist growing up in a British seaside town. With lots of musical detail and characters that feel real, I found myself caring very much about the fate of the protagonist.

Kaga2

Today, a crime novel by Newton Thornburg, A Man's Game. Vividly told unpleasantness.

SimonNZ

Finished:

Started on Reacher Said Nothing by Andy Martin, which follows Lee Child in the writing process of Make Me. But I don't know if I'll continue as Martin has adopted a prose style mannered and over-literary and at times downright purple - in exactly the way his subject doesn't. Unnecessay and distracting, but I may whip myself forward, even through the second book he wrote With Child, following the publishing reception and author tour for Make Me and the early thoughts on the next novel Night School.

aligreto

Henry James: The Turn of the Screw

aligreto

Cadenza

I've been reading The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas for awhile and hope to finish before the summer's over.

André

Back to reading the short novels of Maupassant, from the Contes normands collection. I had stopped reading mid way last year.

j winter

Quote from: Cadenza on April 05, 2020, 07:58:21 PM
I've been reading The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas for awhile and hope to finish before the summer's over.

Dumas is an excellent choice for times like these -- a fun story, well-told, at great length.  Loved that book, though the Count of Monte Cristo was always my favorite.

Welcome aboard!
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Kaga2

A book on causal inference in statistics. It's been a long time since stats class ..

A pleasant little mystery by William DeAndrea with TR as detective, The Lunatic Fringe

Still working on my history books I was reading a couple weeks ago ... :(

aligreto

Henry James: The Spoils of Poynton

André

For a period Henry James was my favourite novelist. I read this in its french translation (Les dépouilles de Poynton) many, many years ago. I had just finished The Bostonians. When I picked it up again (The Bostonians) a decade later, the magic had somehow disappeared and I didn't finish it  :(.

aligreto

I can readily understand what you say André. He is a good story teller but his writing style is now cumbersome for me. It is an effort to read him. You may or may not have noticed above that I interspersed some Hemingway for major stylistic contrast.  ;D