What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

lisa needs braces

I really what to read Mr. Ross's book but I'm somewhat disenchanted with classic music right now...

Instead I'm reading this brilliant little jem of a book called...

longears

Winter Fire--a fiction about a German conductor pressed into service during WWII, who's befriended by Sibelius while serving as military liaison in Finland.

Solitary Wanderer

I have two books on the go at the moment:

Fascinating insight into the recording process by those who were actually there creating those classic albums.

Also:

What an eye opener this book is turning out to be. Mozart wrote 1000's of letters, mainly to his father and others, and this book highlights the key ones and include a commentary between letters as to what else was happening at the time to provide some context. The interesting thing is Mozarts way with words; his prose is both charming and naive and also surprising is his toilet humour  :o Who would've guessed?  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

orbital

Re-visiting a favorite. This is one of these books for me that never goes stale.

Kullervo

And probably some recently acquired Ibsen plays as a diversion. :) I'm on "rebound" from Buddenbrooks.

Daverz

The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman.  A quick read, and suprisingly optimistic about the future.

Who Hates Whom: Well-Armed Fanatics, Intractable Conflicts, and Various Things Blowing Up A Woefully Incomplete Guide by Bob Harris.

carlos

Nicholas von Hoffman's Citizen Cohn, an excellent essay on the times
and life of Roy Cohn, one of the most extraordinary crazy s.o.b. you'll
find any place, any time.
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Kullervo

Started and finished this earlier today.

Saul

The Lord of the Rings, In one volume.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Saul on November 04, 2007, 03:49:46 PM
The Lord of the Rings, In one volume.

I read The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings trilogy in one complete cycle when I was 18. Absolutely loved the story. Also really enjoyed the BBC adaptation of the book in 13 one hour episodes; I taped them from the radio and revisited them often.

I thought Peter Jacksons movie version started out great but got worse as it wore on. Still an amazing achievement.  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Saul

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 04, 2007, 03:54:20 PM
I read The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings trilogy in one complete cycle when I was 18. Absolutely loved the story. Also really enjoyed the BBC adaptation of the book in 13 one hour episodes; I taped them from the radio and revisited them often.

I thought Peter Jacksons movie version started out great but got worse as it wore on. Still an amazing achievement.  :)

Its really an enjoyable read.
So detailed and imaginative writing.

Good for you, Wanderer.  :)

bhodges

David Schiff: The Music of Elliott Carter - Excellent guide to Carter's work. 

--Bruce

bwv 1080

Quote from: bhodges on November 07, 2007, 08:13:12 AM
David Schiff: The Music of Elliott Carter - Excellent guide to Carter's work. 

--Bruce

Great book

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on October 24, 2007, 02:58:50 PM
Just started the book below - Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Modern Medical Breakthroughs (2007) by Morton Meyers - check HERE for descriptions & comments; like Meyers, I'm also an abdominal radiologist & have always had a deep interest in medical history, so this is a perfect book for me; I know Mort Meyers, and he is an excellent writer, so if you're interested in this topic, this book might be for you -  :D

Once again you have recommended a wonderful book.  I enjoyed it immensely!  Thank you.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on November 07, 2007, 11:05:17 AM
Once again you have recommended a wonderful book.  I enjoyed it immensely!  Thank you.

Anne - glad that you really liked the book!  :D  Just finished my copy a week or so ago - Dave

val

CHARLES ROSEN:    Beethoven piano Sonatas

locrian

Not great. A bit of a letdown. I think a monkey proofread it.

Mr. B. Gone by Clive Barker