What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Draško on February 05, 2017, 04:20:40 PM
http://www.gq.com/story/cary-grant-on-style

Still perfectly applicable 50 years later.

Yeah, and so much he refers to is about the fit and function. Good stuff.

Anyway...

Sparring with Hemingway: And Other Legends of the Fight Game by Budd Schulberg

[asin]1861050720[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Selected Works - Cesare Pavese.

[asin]0940322854[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

Some short stories by John O'Hara selected more or less at random.

Drasko

Quote from: NikF on February 08, 2017, 05:07:28 AM
Yeah, and so much he refers to is about the fit and function. Good stuff.

Definitely. Though I have to admit to have sinned when it comes to function(ality), often in my younger days, but fit in men's clothes/style is absolutely paramount (as in location, location, location).

NikF

Quote from: Draško on February 13, 2017, 10:08:16 AM
Definitely. Though I have to admit to have sinned when it comes to function(ality), often in my younger days, but fit in men's clothes/style is absolutely paramount (as in location, location, location).

I think we all have past fashion indiscretions...

Capote is yet another author I havent read all that much of, however I've a 'complete stories' collection somewhere, I think.

Christo

For the second time in my life (cause am supposed to write an essay on it); William Golding, Lord of the Flies (1954). About 35 years ago this was the last of Golding's novels that I read (his last three were still to appear) and just like then, I think I literally prefer all of his other novels, especially the middle ones and the posthumously published The Double Tongue. How to explain the popularity of this early novel, actually his first one?  ::)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

Starting volume 1 of Hans Mayer's memoirs:

[asin]3518036467[/asin]
A major figure in literary critique in Germany after WW2, and also soemone who had a passion for music (his books on Wagner are quite succesful), Mayer's oeuvre doesn't seem to travel well, and I have not seen any translations into English or Spanish. The career of a man who as a communist, a jew and a homosexual really had trouble in the dark years, to later become quite a prominent personalty in the Federal Republic, promises to be an interesting read.

Mahlerian

Just finished the second volume of Walsh's Stravinsky biography.  Walsh treats the many delicate issues surrounding these years with skill and tact.  He does not vilify Robert Craft, though he does show him as vulnerable, frustrating, occasionally sympathetic and sometimes infuriating.  Stravinsky's own creativity remained fully undiminished up until 1966, and if we have Craft to thank for even a portion of that artistic life, Walsh suggests, history will treat him far better than the composer's children, with whom he developed an acrimonious relationship before and after their father's death.  Above all, the book shows a respect for its subject that is not tainted by sanctimonious reverence, and Stravinsky emerges as a complex, deeply flawed individual, albeit one far more likable on a personal level than I had previously imagined.  Walsh clearly loves the composer and his music, and that love is infectious.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Jaakko Keskinen

Re-visiting perhaps my favorite novel of all time.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

kishnevi

Quote from: Alberich on February 18, 2017, 02:47:00 AM

I need to revisit Hugo. Curious how the titles of his big two novels are treated.  Les Miserables is always presented with the French title untranslated  (or at least, I have yet to see a version which gives an English language equivalent), while Quasimodo is promoted to the status of title character even though in the original French, the cathedral itself is the title "character".

Jaakko Keskinen

I agree and even the closest human character to fit the role of the protagonist IMO fits more Frollo rather than Quasimodo.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Spineur

Quote from: Alberich on February 18, 2017, 02:47:00 AM

Read it at 15.  Never again.  My favorite Victor Hugo is 93.  And then all the poetry. 

Jaakko Keskinen

"What would the throne of France be to me when I could rebuild the empire of the Orient?"

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

The Big Clock, by Kenneth Fearing

[asin] 1883011469[/asin]

NikF

Quote from: Ken B on February 19, 2017, 11:12:31 AM

[asin] 1883011469[/asin]

Ken, I've noticed you read crime novels. You ever read this one? I'm thinking of ordering it.

Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliott Chaze.

[asin]1590179161[/asin]

Ken B

Nik
No. Never seen that one before.

Spineur

Quote from: Ken B on February 19, 2017, 11:12:31 AM

[asin] 1883011469[/asin]
I read all of them.  My favorite is Cornell Woolrich "I married a dead man", then Mc Cain "The postman rings twice".  The big clock is not quite in the same league nor is nightmare alley, but they are still good reads.

NikF

Quote from: Ken B on February 19, 2017, 12:28:10 PM
Nik
No. Never seen that one before.

Thanks anyway. :) I'll probably give it a try in any case.

Ken B

Quote from: Spineur on February 19, 2017, 12:41:22 PM
I read all of them.  My favorite is Cornell Woolrich "I married a dead man", then Mc Cain "The postman rings twice".  The big clock is not quite in the same league nor is nightmare alley, but they are still good reads.
All of these have been filmed, some several times. I have seen Nightmare Alley, but have not yet decided if I will read it. I am quite liking Clock, halfway through.

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on February 19, 2017, 04:44:16 AM
My favorite Victor Hugo is 93

Mine, too. And Les travailleurs de la mer (Toilers of the Sea)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy