What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Henning Mankell's last book, the Swedish Rubber Boots (2015). All of Mankell's novels are bleak. They are about small gestures, insignificant events. Words that come out do so at a cost. His characters are mentally and emotionally weaker at the end vs at the beginnning.

For some reason it doesn't seem to be available in English yet.

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 22, 2017, 07:07:33 AM
Dickens for me as well.

This edition has the added value of Phiz's illustrations.

Enjoyed that one....not on the Copperfield level for me, but what is,as it is my favorite.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

After this, I will hit the  Elijah Baley series for a second read. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jaakko Keskinen

It bothers me a bit that my edition of "Gilded age" does not have page numbers. This may be one of the only times that I ever have had to use a bookmark!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

James

Action is the only truth

NikF

Going to the Dogs: The Story of a Moralist by Erich Kastner.

[asin]1590175840[/asin]

The last time I was in the gym some woman told me it was the first occasion she's seen me without a book. I usually take one with me because while some people play on their phones when waiting for a bench or punchbag to be vacated, I don't have that kind of phone. Anyway, due to packing and putting stuff into storage I've left myself nothing to read and so today I bought a few books.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: James on June 12, 2017, 02:48:32 AM

I haven't seen this yet but I'm going to make time to see it on the big screen.

Quote from: Bogey on June 07, 2017, 12:42:49 PM

After this, I will hit the  Elijah Baley series for a second read. 

Reminds me of the OTR (old time radio) shows I used to download with a 28.8 kbit(?) connection. It was shows like Dimension X and X Minus One and Quiet, Please. Surprisingly few were cheesy and most were atmospheric and cool. X Minus One in particular had stories from (amongst others) Asimov and Pohl and Heinlein and Simak. Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on June 12, 2017, 06:54:37 AM

Reminds me of the OTR (old time radio) shows I used to download with a 28.8 kbit(?) connection. It was shows like Dimension X and X Minus One and Quiet, Please. Surprisingly few were cheesy and most were atmospheric and cool. X Minus One in particular had stories from (amongst others) Asimov and Pohl and Heinlein and Simak. Good stuff.

You download and listen to OTR Nik because you are a cool cat. I have been buying some Ace Doubles for future sci-fi reading.  Nothing like a sci-fi paperback from the 50's for back porch summer reading!

Jo498

Quote from: Ken B on June 07, 2017, 10:14:48 AM
Ironically Moby Dick is now often sold as a children's book! I was asked by a prof once if he should get it for his kid aged about 8. I boggled. But I have seen it, unabridged, unaltered, on sale in the children's section!
That's amazing. Although I also remember from my childhood/youth (early 1980s) that usually heavily abridged and edited "classics" like "Moby Dick", "Robinson Crusoe", "Gulliver's travels" and also "Count of Monte Cristo", "Three Musketeers" "Oliver Twist" or "David Copperfield" were offered as children's books. I guess that often went almost as far as re-telling the main story in accessible language but sometimes they were also older cheaply re-published editions only moderately abridged. I do not remember details.
I think that the Moby Dick translation I read with about 15 was not or (probably) only slightly abridged but I do not remember exactly (and cannot check as it was a borrowed copy).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Drasko

My first venture into several Wodehouse worlds which I haven't explored this far: Blandings, golf, Mr.Mulliner and Ukridge.

kishnevi

His best known book is probably Battle Cry of Freedom.

The naval aspect of the Civil War is sometimes lost--as he notes at the start, the forces on land, and the number of casualties, of the forces on land were greater by orders of magnitude--but crucial.  He keeps the narrative going, sometimes at the cost of making the background details clear.  And sometimes he strikes an oddly modern note.  Thus, one commander in charge of the fighting, faced with a plan from Washington that does not match reality, is said to "wonder what Fox was smoking".

But overall, gets an A from me.

Bogey

NikF

Jaakko Keskinen

Enjoying Gilded age so far, a great book but unfortunately an awful, awful edition. It's full of typos and errors and doesn't even have page numbers, as noted before.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on June 21, 2017, 05:22:19 AM
Enjoying Gilded age so far, a great book but unfortunately an awful, awful edition. It's full of typos and errors and doesn't even have page numbers, as noted before.

Pirate edtion, perhaps?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on June 21, 2017, 01:52:08 PM
Pirate edtion, perhaps?  ;D

It has pirates? Is this like that Pride And Prejudice With Zombies?

arpeggio

Reading an old classic: Lord Jim.

Brian