What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: ritter on August 02, 2017, 04:30:24 AM
Well, Draško...you're watching a film by one of my favourite directors ever (if not my very favourite), and reading a book by an author I find fascinating... What next? listen to some Boulez, perhaps?  ;)

Regards,

I've been reading it very slowly, couple of chapters per day. Excellent book, bit severe at times, but still relevant.
Haven't read much Adorno prior, just a cursory read through Dialectics of Enlightenment, to which I plan to give proper attention at some future date.
For Boulez keep an eye on the listening thread  8)

ritter

Quote from: Draško on August 03, 2017, 03:37:40 AM
I've been reading it very slowly, couple of chapters per day. Excellent book, bit severe at times, but still relevant.
Haven't read much Adorno prior, just a cursory read through Dialectics of Enlightenment, to which I plan to give proper attention at some future date.
For Boulez keep an eye on the listening thread  8)
I've seen your listening today! Great! Even if Structures is IMHO a really tough nut to crack.  :)

Yes, Minima Moralia is an excellent book, and one which--despite its severity (very well chosen word!  ;))--is approachable and has a poetic beauty to it which is hard to describe (for me at least).

I have read quite a bit of Adorno, but mainly the shorter essay stuff, as I do not have the philosophical training to approach the large works like the Aesthetic Theory (an impossible read as far as I am concerned) or the Negative Dialectics. A very demanding author, in any case, with a style which often seems impenetrable, but which once you've managed to decipher it, yields many rewards, and that I find immensely appealing.

Regards,

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on August 03, 2017, 05:08:28 AM
« Muchacho, no te metas en dibujos, sino haz lo que ese señor te manda: sigue tu canto llano y no te metas en contrapuntos, que se suelen quebrar de sotiles. »

Where is this quote extracted from, Rafael? It reminds me of Loaysa from El Celoso extremeño.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2017, 08:32:23 AM
Where is this quote extracted from, Rafael? It reminds me of Loaysa from El Celoso extremeño.
You got the author right, Andrei...bravo! But not the book. It's from chapter XXVI of the second part of Don Quixote, as adapted  (slightly) by Manuel de Falla for his El retablo de Maese Pedro. Kind of cool, don't you think?  :)

Un abrazo,

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on August 03, 2017, 08:59:52 AM
You got the author right, Andrei...bravo! But not the book. It's from chapter XXVI of the second part of Don Quixote, as adapted  (slightly) by Manuel de Falla for his El retablo de Maese Pedro. Kind of cool, don't you think?  :)

Muy cool!  :)

Un abrazo,

Likewise!  :-*
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Last book I read was by A Anatoli (Kuznetsov): 'Babi-Yar' before my visit to Kyiv. Now my daughter is reading it. It is one of the few books that I have read more than once.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

I'll be reading these when they arrive..

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Thomas S. Kuhn - The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (in Romanian translation)

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on August 03, 2017, 09:09:07 AM

Have I recommended Tales from Ovid by Ted Hughes?

Florestan

I have the complete published Rilke and Pessoa poems (plus The Book of Disquiet) in Romanian translation. Exquisite.

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on August 03, 2017, 09:12:45 AM
Have I recommended Tales from Ovid by Ted Hughes?
You've mentioned it before, I think. Added to my list now.

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Did you ever read Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet? He draws on Cavafy's poems, especially The Gods Abandon Antony.

TD

Masterfully snarkful look at how England is both a wonderful place to live yet falling apart at the cultural seams (in Bryson's view).
Including the English language.  This book will delight any denizen of Cato's Grammar Grumbles.

North Star

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 03, 2017, 10:16:59 AM
Did you ever read Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet? He draws on Cavafy's poems, especially The Gods Abandon Antony.
No, I haven't.

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Quite a florilège  of 20th century poetry coming your way, Karlo!  Each and every one of them wonderful. You have a great summer of poetry ahead of you...

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 03, 2017, 10:16:59 AM
It's fallen out of critical fadhion as of late, I'm afraid, but I find it a literary achievement of the highest rank. I really, really enjoyed it when I read it...

"The sea is high again today..."  :)

North Star

Quote from: ritter on August 03, 2017, 11:40:22 AM
Quite a florilège  of 20th century poetry coming your way, Karlo!  Each and every one of them wonderful. You have a great summer of poetry ahead of you...
I love florilèges, Rafael8)  I've read a a few poems from each but no more, so I'm definitely looking forward to exploring each writer's works.

QuoteIt's fallen out of critical fadhion as of late, I'm afraid, but I find it a literary achievement of the highest rank. I really, really enjoyed it when I read it...

"The sea is high again today..."  :)
Fadhion? What an ingenius portmanteau of fad and fashion!  :laugh:
I'll have to look into the Durrell.

My photographs on Flickr

Christo

Finished this 'short history of about everything' as long as it's related to the 'center of the world', the Persian regions of Central Asia or the connections between the two centers of global civilization, East Asia and the Middle East, later the West. From about 2000 BC till 2015, a genuine tour de force. Very informative and inspiring in its chapters on antiquity and especially the medieval world, less convincing in modern times (esp. 1800-present), because the theme gets overstretched and would require a different book. Yet: recommended.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Bogey

Just finished this Christie Poirot novel and enjoyed the whodunnit ride.

Started this one and am enjoying it as well:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

André

Parsifal

Quote from: Bogey on August 04, 2017, 03:40:12 AM
Just finished this Christie Poirot novel and enjoyed the whodunnit ride.

Regarding the cover, any representation of Poirot other than David Suchet seems wrong to me. Delightful book, though.