What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Currently finishing up John Toland's The Rising Sun. Hopefully I'll be into something new ( or old ) tomorrow.

Cheers,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Ken B

Quote from: LKB on September 29, 2017, 01:11:36 PM
Currently finishing up John Toland's The Rising Sun. Hopefully I'll be into something new ( or old ) tomorrow.

Cheers,

LKB
Want another Pacific War book? Fire in the Sky by Eric Bergerud. About the air war in the South Pacific.

TD Dead Souls, just starting.

LKB

Quote from: Ken B on September 29, 2017, 01:17:07 PM
Want another Pacific War book? Fire in the Sky by Eric Bergerud. About the air war in the South Pacific.

TD Dead Souls, just starting.

Thanks Ken B, I'll definitely look into that one.

Cheers,

LKB

NikF

The Shape of a City by Julien Gracq.

[asin]1885586396[/asin]

On Monday I've a train journey and this is the book I'll be reading during the increasingly smaller gaps that exist between long and dreamy gazes out of the window.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Jaakko Keskinen

Let's see if this is really The Great American Novel.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Parsifal

Stone Mattress, by Margaret Atwood

This is a marvelous collection of short stories. The first three are a set of interlocking stories of a group of writers, told at different times from different points of view. The others range from the literary to the macabre. The final tale veers towards Atwood's dystopian style. A pair of residents of an assisted living facility try to survive when their facility is under siege from a populist movement, of sorts.

A really good book.

Christo

Quote from: Alberich on September 20, 2017, 07:52:44 AMFinished Buddenbrooks. I enjoyed it greatly, although I liked the beginning and the middle parts more than the ending, the ending got a bit too depressing for my current state of mind (yes, I know that is exactly the point of the novel, decline of a family and all that) although I enjoyed the Wagner references.
Thanks for letting us know! I read it back in 1978, when I was 16; it was my second book in German, after Faust I & II - and I didn't get all the details, but read it with pleasure. Now it's on the agenda - for November - of one of my reading circles. Hope to report back.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

LKB

Currently bouncing between Farnham's Freehold by Heinlein, and Chaos by James Gleick.

Cheers,

LKB

North Star

Had a 10% off coupon for Bookdepository and no French poetry in the shelf, so I ordered this lot.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Quote from: North Star on October 19, 2017, 08:02:45 AM
Had a 10% off coupon for Bookdepository and no French poetry in the shelf, so I ordered this lot.

All wonderful, wonderful! A couple of verses by Baudelaire grace my signature on this forum, Verlaine has some stunningly beautiful poems which I know by heart, Mallarmé is challenging (in the best possible way). Perhaps I'm a bit less fond of Rimbaud, I must admit...

Enjoy, Karlo, cher ami.

North Star

Quote from: ritter on October 19, 2017, 08:07:36 AM
All wonderful, wonderful! A couple of verses by Baudelaire grace my signature on this forum, Verlaine has some stunningly beautiful poems which I know by heart, Mallarmé is challenging (in the best possible way). Perhaps I'm a bit less fond of Rimbaud, I must admit...

Enjoy, Karlo, cher ami.
Merci beaucoup, Rafael! They're all completely unknown to me really, apart from their vast reputation and influence.

My photographs on Flickr

Spineur

Quote from: North Star on October 19, 2017, 08:28:18 AM
Merci beaucoup, Rafael! They're all completely unknown to me really, apart from their vast reputation and influence.
Is is unfortunate that there is no translation of the prestigious "La Pléiade" collection which contains real treasures.  André Gide made an anthology of french poetry which contains what most people would consider as the pinnacle of french poetry in a small volume that you can take on a trip with you.  I always do.

The two poets who I treasure that are not represented in this anthology are Jean Cocteau and Jacques Prévert.  They came after Gide.

North Star

Quote from: Spineur on October 19, 2017, 08:57:35 AM
Is is unfortunate that there is no translation of the prestigious "La Pléiade" collection which contains real treasures.  André Gide made an anthology of french poetry which contains what most people would consider as the pinnacle of french poetry in a small volume that you can take on a trip with you.  I always do.

The two poets who I treasure that are not represented in this anthology are Jean Cocteau and Jacques Prévert.  They came after Gide.
That makes the French poetic tradition sound very compact - but of course the 'greatest hits' that 'most people' know is inevitably that, in any language. And it does indeed sound like a good idea to translate such an anthology.
Thinking even more recent poets, have you read Yves Bonnefoy?

My photographs on Flickr

Spineur

Quote from: North Star on October 19, 2017, 09:15:10 AM
Thinking even more recent poets, have you read Yves Bonnefoy?
I have and I like a number of his poems.  He has also done what is considered as the best translation of William Shakespeare plays.

North Star

Quote from: Spineur on October 19, 2017, 09:35:13 AM
I have and I like a number of his poems.  He has also done what is considered as the best translation of William Shakespeare plays.
Very good.

My photographs on Flickr

Jaakko Keskinen

Re-reading much beloved Herman Melville classic, "Mardi, and a Voyage Thither.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

Christo

Quote from: sanantonio on October 19, 2017, 10:22:15 AMAn excellent history of the "hillbilly" music of North Carolina, Virginia and the Piedmont area.  Tells a lot of the settlement and economic history of this region as well as focusing on the musicians and music from the turn of the 20th century to post-WWII country music.
That story sounds really interesting. But is there any music in it, worth hearing?  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Today, while waiting for my car to be repaired:

Dostoevsky - Humiliated and Insulted

I started and almost finished it. Not among his best novels and a quite implausible main plot imho, but recognizably his style and themes.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

LKB

Moon Shot, nominally by Alan Shepard and Deke Slayton.

It may not be the best overview of America's race to the moon during the 1960's, but I've found it worthwhile.

Remembering,

LKB