What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Draško on September 12, 2018, 06:24:17 AM

Modesty Blaise - O'Donnell/Holdaway - omnibus consisting of first eight episodes. In Serbian, large format, hardcover, first of planned 12 books.

Drasko appears to enjoy a broad canvas. And apparently is a balletomane too? Oh my  ;D
Okay... Whoever she is or how she's depicted - Holdaway/Vitti - light her like a man. And if you don't get that shit, try building your knowledge from the ground up. LMAO.  8)

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Jeffrey Archer: A Prisoner of Birth

About half way through and enjoying it.

ritter

Tackling this monster:

[asin]2070227235[/asin]

I haven't read any Sartre for many, many years (and I must confess that many of the man's political positions I find repulsive), but I have long admired much of Jean Genet's work, and this book (which had a devastating effect on its subject) was considered by its author one of the few he would like to be remembered for. Let's see... ;)

Mandryka

Quote from: ritter on September 13, 2018, 10:27:05 AM
Tackling this monster:

[asin]2070227235[/asin]

I haven't read any Sartre for many, many years (and I must confess that many of the man's political positions I find repulsive), but I have long admired much of Jean Genet's work, and this book (which had a devastating effect on its subject) was considered by its author one of the few he would like to be remembered for. Let's see... ;)

I saw a good documentary on Arte recently about Genet in Palestine. When I was a teenager I read Journal du Voleur and I thought it was fabulous, sexy. That's the life I wanted to lead I think! I tried St Genet but I don't think I got far with it.

I've started to read a very strange book, I'm half way through and I'm reserving judgement even though it's painful to read. I'm almost hesitant to say what it is, its reputation is so bad, but I wanted to see for myself and I like the author. Robbe-Grillet's Un roman sentimental.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dungeon Master

This is my wife's first book, released just last week. It is the true story of how we got one Afghan refugee kid out of Australia's asylum detention system, how he has adjusted to life in Australia while living with us over the last 4 years, and how he has enriched our lives. It throws a light on how inhumanely we (Australia) are treating asylum seekers, but the politics takes a back seat to the human story.

[asin] B07D3JZVMY[/asin]

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Dungeon Master on September 15, 2018, 12:02:12 AM
This is my wife's first book, released just last week. It is the true story of how we got one Afghan refugee kid out of Australia's asylum detention system, how he has adjusted to life in Australia while living with us over the last 4 years, and how he has enriched our lives. It throws a light on how inhumanely we (Australia) is treating asylum seekers, but the politics takes a back seat to the human story.

[asin] B07D3JZVMY[/asin]

Wow!! Very impressive, on a number of levels. Kudos, to you and your wife.
It's all good...

Florestan

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 15, 2018, 12:52:59 AM

+ 1
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 15, 2018, 12:52:59 AM

This is one of the reasons I couldn't devote much time to sort out this forum's bugs. Hopefully sorted now.

Florestan

Quote from: Dungeon Master on September 15, 2018, 03:27:32 AM
This is one of the reasons I couldn't devote much time to sort out this forum's bugs.

Compared to your actual life this forum is a trifle. That you are able to combine them is all the more remarkable and impressive. You're a great person. Thank you.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on September 15, 2018, 03:29:45 AM
Compared to your actual life this forum is a trifle. That you are able to combine them is all the more remarkable and impressive. You're a great person. Thank you.

+1

Good on you, mate,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

MN Dave

Steinbeck bio. Very good so far. It is a weighty tome.
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Just started this

(The Story of San Michele --- the Romanian traditional translation actually reads The Book of San Michele)

and it's a page turner. One of the most humane and enjoyable books I've ever read. It literally made me happy while reading. Fwiw, the latest occasions in which I felt something similar was when listening for the first time to Saint-Saëns's Septet and Moeran's Violin Concerto.

toledobass

I've got 5 translations of the Tao Te Ching I've immersed myself in.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bhodges

Quote from: Dungeon Master on September 15, 2018, 12:02:12 AM
This is my wife's first book, released just last week. It is the true story of how we got one Afghan refugee kid out of Australia's asylum detention system, how he has adjusted to life in Australia while living with us over the last 4 years, and how he has enriched our lives. It throws a light on how inhumanely we (Australia) are treating asylum seekers, but the politics takes a back seat to the human story.

[asin] B07D3JZVMY[/asin]

Adding my astonished look -- and praise -- to the chorus. Bravo, and good for you for your perspective on life's important issues.

--Bruce

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on September 19, 2018, 10:53:00 AM
Just started this

(The Story of San Michele --- the Romanian traditional translation actually reads The Book of San Michele)

and it's a page turner. One of the most humane and enjoyable books I've ever read. It literally made me happy while reading. Fwiw, the latest occasions in which I felt something similar was when listening for the first time to Saint-Saëns's Septet and Moeran's Violin Concerto.

I confess to surprise. This is an older, non fiction, book. But as you made plain on another thread, you are the perfect Whig: the past is only a prelude to us.

As I understand, not having read it, he "restores" a Roman villa. Restores? As in in HIB, Historically Informed Building?  SURELY NOT! rebuilding it in the style of le Corbusier is perfectly correct, right?

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on September 19, 2018, 04:15:35 PM
I confess to surprise. This is an older, non fiction, book. But as you made plain on another thread, you are the perfect Whig: the past is only a prelude to us.

As I understand, not having read it, he "restores" a Roman villa. Restores? As in in HIB, Historically Informed Building?  SURELY NOT! rebuilding it in the style of le Corbusier is perfectly correct, right?

You sorely misunderstood both me and the book, I'm afraid. For starters, he does not restore any Roman villa. He builds one from scratch, the way he wanted it to be built, according to his own ideas and taste.

And boy, are you fond of false analogies to music! Now it's architecture's turn. 

Anyway, instead of taking me to task in every post for my heinous crimes (mass murderer and unrepentant HIP heretic) you'd better read the book. I have good reasons to suppose you'll love it. 

(You know, I'm perfectly aware you were just teasing me. I just reciprocate it.  :-* )

Jaakko Keskinen

I couldn't wait anymore so I started reading Ninety-Three.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo