Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Just finished Robert L Chapman's Ireland

Chapman was interested in two things, namely cycling and photography. He amassed a large and very interesting collection over his lifetime and this book offers some very interesting insights into that collection as well as commentary on things from national events to local beauty spots [interesting to see them then and now].

ritter

Interspersing the Drieu La Rochelle novel I mentioned some days ago with these two art-related books:

[asin]2070249476[/asin]
Jean Paulhan (one of the most influential literary critics in France in the 20th century) somehow manages, in the 150 pages of this loving and poetic text, to convey the essence of.Georges Braque's elusive and fascinating art. A beautiful little book.

[asin]207029630X[/asin]
This is my first contact with Francis Ponge, and I must say his prose is not really to my liking; his casual style, in which some obscure terms and—sometimes contrived—wordplays appear relatively often, and his tendency to address the reader directly with the informal "tu",are slightly tiresome to me. And yet, a short homage to the lithographic stone, "Matière et Mémoire", is a delight. I still have to get to the texts dedicated to Braque (the reason I got this book).

LKB

Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece, by Michael Benson.

Only a few pages in, but it's already my favorite book concerning my favorite film.

Applauding,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

ritter

More art related stuff: Pierre Assouline's biography of legendary art dealer D.-H. Kahnweiler.

Great fun to read (so far—some 50 pages into the book).  :)

SimonNZ

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Damn, that Billy Budd cover image was big!  ???
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 15, 2018, 06:18:01 PM

How is that? I have two, and am finishing the third, of his Time Traveller's Guide to...series.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Quote from: JBS on November 15, 2018, 06:30:45 PM
How is that? I have two, and am finishing the third, of his Time Traveller's Guide to...series.

First time I've read him, though I want to look at his Time Traveler books at some point. Which did you like best?

This one is deliberately provocative (see title), trying to rehabilitate Edward III's reputation which has diminished with each passing century, by going to the opposite extreme. Its at best only partially successful in convincing me of that thesis, and then only for specific facets, but if you can put that aside its a well written work of popular history on a neglected figure, and provides some clarity to complex events his long reign touched upon, not least of which is the beginning of the Hundred Years War, and is a vivid narrative.

Recommended, but with those warnings.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 15, 2018, 07:00:15 PM
First time I've read him, though I want to look at his Time Traveler books at some point. Which did you like best?

This one is deliberately provocative (see title), trying to rehabilitate Edward III's reputation which has diminished with each passing century, by going to the opposite extreme. Its at best only partially successful in convincing me of that thesis, and then only for specific facets, but if you can put that aside its a well written work of popular history on a neglected figure, and provides some clarity to complex events his long reign touched upon, not least of which is the beginning of the Hundred Years War, and is a vivid narrative.

Recommended, but with those warnings.

I like the most recent, on the Restoration era, but all three are close enough in style and quality, that the best bet is to pick the era you are most interested in.  It's all details about daily life, so actual events are treated as tangential to the description...

I have read one bio of Edward III. Don't remember who wrote it, but the author was probably from Scotland. He was very unsympathetic to Edward, and vividly so in regards to Scotland.

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on November 15, 2018, 07:15:51 PM
I like the most recent, on the Restoration era, but all three are close enough in style and quality, that the best bet is to pick the era you are most interested in.  It's all details about daily life, so actual events are treated as tangential to the description...

I have read one bio of Edward III. Don't remember who wrote it, but the author was probably from Scotland. He was very unsympathetic to Edward, and vividly so in regards to Scotland.
As I recall you are a Costain fan. He wrote one, about the three Edwards. I read that in high school. Maybe that?

Mortimer is the guy with the outre theory about Edward II faking his own death. That discourages me from reading what otherwise look like interesting books ...

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on November 15, 2018, 08:29:24 PM

Mortimer is the guy with the outre theory about Edward II faking his own death. That discourages me from reading what otherwise look like interesting books ...

No, he thinks that Edward II escaped murder but was kept alive and prisoner by Mortimer for an unknown amount of time and was so even after Mortimer's death. He explains some of Edward III's more curious and secretive actions in the early years of his reign as trying to find out if his father really was still alive and where he was being held. He leans heavily on a controversial document called the Fieschi Letter.

Ken B

I am not reading this but I thought I'd drop the link here for Florestan

https://strategypage.com/bookreviews/1727

bwv 1080

If you want more detail on Edward III in the Hundred Year's War (with our without the apostrophe) there is this

672 pages to get only as far as the Battle of Crecy

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on November 15, 2018, 08:29:24 PM
As I recall you are a Costain fan. He wrote one, about the three Edwards. I read that in high school. Maybe that?

No.  This book was much more recent.  BTW, it also discussed the theory about Edward II's fake death, about which it was skeptical but not dismissive.

Paging through Amazon, I don't find many other possibilities.  Perhaps it was the Mortimer book, but my memory of it doesn't accord very well with Simon's description.

SimonNZ

Quote from: JBS on November 16, 2018, 09:59:14 AM
No.  This book was much more recent.  BTW, it also discussed the theory about Edward II's fake death, about which it was skeptical but not dismissive.

Paging through Amazon, I don't find many other possibilities.  Perhaps it was the Mortimer book, but my memory of it doesn't accord very well with Simon's description.

Possibly the volume in the Penguin Monarchs series? And apparently Alison Weir covers Edward II's "death" and subscribes to the view that he survived in her book on Isabella.

SimonNZ

Quote from: bwv 1080 on November 16, 2018, 08:01:23 AM
If you want more detail on Edward III in the Hundred Year's War (with our without the apostrophe) there is this

672 pages to get only as far as the Battle of Crecy

That series has been on my to-read wishlist for years. No idea when I'll find the time.

Ian Mortimer praises it in the intro to his E3 book, fwiw.