What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Draško on January 05, 2019, 06:09:42 AM

The only work by Calvino that I've read so far is The Cloven Viscount. It was okay.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on January 05, 2019, 09:36:30 AM
I've started reading it in my teens, loved it, but never finished the whole thing. I do remember it's about a Rudolph count chasing his low-class love all around Paris (long before Napoleon III and Baron Haussmann made it a modern metropolis, mind you!). Sort of a second-rate Victor Hugo and a first-rate Paul Feval. --- so yes, in my book it's good, very good (just think of it --- the Paris of Paganini, Rossini, Liszt, Thalberg, Chopin, Herz --- truly the misterious one!)

NB: Me likes both Sue and (Hugo and Feval).  :)
Merci. There is a new translation available, and it does tempt me a bit.
I should really read Monte Cristo first though ... (I read the Blair abridgment eons ago).

SimonNZ

Mandryka

I'd be very interested to know if anyone's read this.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on January 02, 2019, 10:26:14 AM
Yay!

Quote from: Ken B on January 02, 2019, 05:46:12 PM
Fine reading both of them. OMF is on my reread list, it was the Dickens I liked most.

This is wonderful!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Badly written incoherent mess of a historic novel. Hard to believe a genius like Ludwig Tieck wrote this.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

Hadn't intended to read another book on the Hilary campaign, but this unexpectedly turns out to be the one I was wanting: a blow by blow warts and all view from inside pieced together from very candid interviews (because of the promise of anonymity) from everyone involved. The authors say at the beginning that there was no one they wanted to talk to who they didn't get.

What emerges is endless infighting and jockeying for position and access to a distant candidate with no clear and consistent message and being constantly pulled in conflicting directions or stuck in indecision. I'm only up to the winning of the primaries, but already there's been much more information about the fear of a Biden run and about the inability to grasp the appeal of Sanders than elsewhere. Lots and lots of good detail about the mechanics of money getting, vote getting, and delegate getting.

First time I've read Niall Fergusson. His writing style is very good, an excellent communicator.

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2018, 04:25:49 AMBtw, another firm recommendation is Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate --- sort of a War and Peace set during WWII. A masterpiece as well.
Four years ago, met a Russian woman at the airport and in the plane on my way back from Saint-Peterburg and we discussed Russian literature. I promised her to read Life and Fate - already long envisaged - and only now started this undertaking. Will report back when I'm finished.

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

lisa needs braces

Alright, to get a bit personal, this is one of my favorite books, as someone who is not exactly where he'd like to be in life, professionally.  I find the audiobook very therapeutic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7xqmkOx-W4

steve ridgway

I enjoyed The Consolations of Philosophy book and TV series. Much unhappiness comes from comparing yourself against other people and judging your own worth by their expectations.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on January 12, 2019, 12:45:48 PM
Four years ago, met a Russian woman at the airport and in the plane on my way back from Saint-Peterburg and we discussed Russian literature. I promised her to read Life and Fate - already long envisaged - and only now started this undertaking. Will report back when I'm finished.

You're in for a real threat. Enjoy!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2019, 05:22:50 AM
You're in for a real threat. Enjoy!

I got a chuckle out of the typo, considering the picture on the book's jacket.

:D,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Ken B

Quote from: Christo on January 12, 2019, 12:45:48 PM

I just bought that. But it will have to wait. I am on a Mexican beach for the rest of January.

Florestan

Quote from: LKB on January 14, 2019, 12:28:24 PM
I got a chuckle out of the typo, considering the picture on the book's jacket.

:D,

LKB

Ouch! Haven't noticed it. I think I'll leave it as it is.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

bwv 1080

There is a very watchable Russian-produced 2012 miniseries on Life and Fate.  It was available on Amazon prime in the US

Another good and very readable Chinese history book. Platt also wrote a great book on the Taiping Rebellion (the costliest war of the 19th century BTW) a few years back

Mandryka

I'm about 100 pages in and it's funny, laugh out loud funny. Whether it will turn out to be more than that is a question I can't answer.

Nouvel Obs said it was a masterpiece, the greatest thing since Extension du domaine de la lutte, which is a book I very much appreciated. We shall see.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan