What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian, Spotted Horses and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on March 09, 2019, 06:57:04 PM
I just finished

Death of a Hollow Man
Caroline Graham

This is a Barnaby novel. Midsomer is not mentioned but these are the source of Midsomer Murders.

This book is terrible. Terrible.

Ooh, curious. We are watching Midsomer on Netflix and loving almost every minute (that one about crop circles was dodgy...). I have no familiarity with the original novels. Are the TV adaptations such a huge improvement??

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on March 24, 2019, 04:10:52 PM
Ooh, curious. We are watching Midsomer on Netflix and loving almost every minute (that one about crop circles was dodgy...). I have no familiarity with the original novels. Are the TV adaptations such a huge improvement??
I watched some of the early seasons and liked them (I am told they have fallen off in later years). They are somewhat different from the books based on this one. The TV series is a perfect embodiment of "Mayhem Parva". I think there are only 6 or 7 books so the series became independent.
There is no Midsomer in the books, just Causton. Troy is a fat homophobic sexist looking for a chance to cheat on his wife. There was no murder until more than a third into the book, but in the show bodies drop like rain.

Artem

Great collection of short stories by Lucia Berlin. Fans of Raymond Carver style may enjoy her writing.

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

Knocked off this quickie:

...and was mostly disappointed. Despite being ostensibly set after the fall of the Berlin wall and the end of the cold war It reads like something Le Carre had in a drawer since the mid sixties with no change in the depiction of technology or spycraft.

Ken B

So better than average for him then.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on March 27, 2019, 03:26:54 AM
So better than average for him then.

Heh. Its been a long time since I read his two famous ones, but the other couple of his I've read in recent years seemed slight and easily forgotten.

I did, however, like his collection of miscellaneous nonfiction The Pigeon Tunnel - especially the long interview with Kim Philby's boss (his British one, that is).

NikF4

Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos.

When mentioning I was going to read this I was asked to post my thoughts

I believe it was worth reading. I'm not going to mention motifs or symbols or morality tales. Instead, I'll highlight the accurate insight into human nature. Usually I regret having to read a translation of a book in the language other than it was originally written, but in this instance the message is still clear. Sometimes people will fuck with - or simply fuck - someone just because they can. Dress it up as grand as you like, but it's as straightforward as that. So despite the way seduction is being presented here as a game there's also reward for those well informed and mature enough to see a clearer picture of what's going on. For others lacking in life experience (or personal honesty) it might be reduced to a series of 'wonderfully wicked!' or 'delightfully devilish!' incidents relatable only within a comfortable soap opera style frame of reference. Definitely for adults. Definitely not for children of any age.

NikF4

Tonight on the train I will be (re?;D)reading -

SimonNZ

Finished

Not the best Murakami, not the worst. But I enjoy his variations on familiar themes, even if this seems like only two thirds of a book he just ran out of ideas on and wrapped up quickly.

Started:

Jo498

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 27, 2019, 02:27:39 AM
Knocked off this quickie:

...and was mostly disappointed. Despite being ostensibly set after the fall of the Berlin wall and the end of the cold war It reads like something Le Carre had in a drawer since the mid sixties with no change in the depiction of technology or spycraft.

I have read only a few Le Carré altogether but one pretty good post-cold war (although more precisely it does contain episodes from the cold war era) is "Absolute friends". At least to me it did not read like a recycled sixties plot.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SimonNZ

Quote from: Jo498 on April 04, 2019, 04:22:16 AM
I have read only a few Le Carré altogether but one pretty good post-cold war (although more precisely it does contain episodes from the cold war era) is "Absolute friends". At least to me it did not read like a recycled sixties plot.

i haven't read that one, but will give it a chance if it comes my way. Thanks.

Jaakko Keskinen

Started reading Hamlet in original English although in an edition with footnotes explaining obsolete words, sentences and sayings. Thus the reading is slow but also very rewarding.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood Of 1927
John M Barry

So far a fascinating book. I read Barry's book on Roger Williams, which was also excellent.

The Axeman's Jazz
Ray Celestin
A novel about a real series of murders in New Orleans in 1919

StarThrower62

The Mind's I by Daniel Dennett and Douglas Hofstadter

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

The Eighth day, Thorton Wilder

I don't know where I found this one. A sort of murder mystery that takes place in an early 20th century mining town in the central U.S. Along the way there are a lot of philosophical and cultural musings. A good book, but more ponderous than I was expecting.

LKB

Rereading Ringworld by Larry Niven.

As entertaining as l remember from the first time around, a few decades ago.

" I have a variable sword ",

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

André

A vacation trip to the US wouldn't be complete without a book. John Grisham's The Whistler will be in my suitcase.

Ken B

A very interesting article about one man's religious conversion. https://www.firstthings.com/article/2019/05/why-i-became-muslim
An antidote to Woke.

aligreto

Aldous Huxley: Point Counter Point

This is a re-read after many years. I cannot remember how I got on the first time, even tough I read quite a lot of his novels when I was a young man. This time around, however, I found it tough going. Perhaps as one grows older one gets impatient when a plot or character development is slow and tedious?