What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 11, 2019, 09:30:08 PM
Which sections held up best in your rereadings?

In terms of style, the whole thing is worth a read. High 18th century prose at its best.

His narratives of the political and diplomatic intrigue, even when modern scholarship says he is wrong, are vivid and entertaining.  And the section near the end, where he sums up his own feelings about his work and its impending conclusion, is a great passage all on its own.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Moonfish

I'm in the middle of Cervantes (Grossman translation) - quite immersive and very enjoyable. So much more than I expected. It is kind of embarrassing that I never read this in my past, but I'm making up for it.

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

JBS

Quote from: Moonfish on October 12, 2019, 10:34:15 AM
How does this work compare to Norwich's volumes?
I have read some of Vasiliev. He wrote for people who wanted to learn about the Byzantines. Norwich wrote for people who wanted to enjoy learning about the Byzantines.

Norwich did have some important biases. But he makes an effort to not only acknowledge them, but explain why is biased the way he was,

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2019, 10:39:38 AM
I have read some of Vasiliev. He wrote for people who wanted to learn about the Byzantines. Norwich wrote for people who wanted to enjoy learning about the Byzantines.

Norwich did have some important biases. But he makes an effort to not only acknowledge them, but explain why is biased the way he was,

This.

I'd say both Norwich and Vasiliev are far, far better than Gibbon in terms of scholarship and objectivity, their explicit (Norwich) or implicit (Vasiliev) biases notwithstanding, while Gibbon has the upper hand in terms of style --- but N's or V's biases are ultimately a matter of interpretation, while G's biases are ideological through and through.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on October 12, 2019, 11:54:16 AM
Truly, a book everyone should read.  It has been decades since I have.  This new translation might be enough of a reason for me to revisit this classic novel.

Yes. I read it one and a half times but I haven't read it in decades either, and I have this translation in Kindle.

Moonfish, destroyer of free time!!  :laugh:

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 11:39:01 AM
This.

I'd say both Norwich and Vasiliev are far, far better than Gibbon in terms of scholarship and objectivity, their explicit (Norwich) or implicit (Vasiliev) biases notwithstanding, while Gibbon has the upper hand in terms of style --- but N's or V's biases are ultimately a matter of interpretation, while G's biases are ideological through and through.

That's accurate,  but perhaps too harsh. Gibbon was an 18th century anti-clericalist, with both the strength and weakness of 18th century scholarship and philosophy.
18th century scholarship can be unintentionally hilarious at times. I remember one point where the narrative requires a brief excursion towards China, causing him to note that the Chinese worship "the great god Fu", who is in fact the Buddha.

Florestan

Truly, a book everyone should read. 

Yes, indeed. The Exemplary Novels are excellent, too. And if you really are into Baroquely convoluted or convolutedly Baroque prose, The Wanderings of Persiles and Sigismunda are exemplary (pun).

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2019, 12:12:03 PM
18th century scholarship can be unintentionally hilarious at times.

Agreed.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2019, 12:03:02 PM
Yes. I read it one and a half times but I haven't read it in decades either, and I have this translation in Kindle.

Moonfish, destroyer of free time!!  :laugh:

It is my mission on earth!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Truly, a book everyone should read.  It has been decades since I have.  This new translation might be enough of a reason for me to revisit this classic novel.

I sense that as well and regret not having done so earlier. It brings a new lens to the literature of Spain and its times as well as its ripple effect towards the present time. Following Don Quijote's bizarre adventures I cannot help but to think of politics in modern times, but perhaps that is a bit farfetched?

I haven't compared translations, but it appears as if Grossman is bringing in a Spanish flavor by using long sentences and intricate word mazes (all in a good way). I always had the impression that Spanish tended to go in that direction by nature (which is part of its beauty).  There seems to be some struggle with Cervantes' play on words, but I guess that is to be expected in most translated works.  I can see myself rereading this in ten years or so, but there are so many great novels as well as other works. This thread makes me want to read Gibbon, revisit ancient history and to dig into the Byzantine empire and its art. Ah.....there should be 60 hours in a day!
Anna Lappé

Florestan

We Romanians are blessed with two different but equally good translations of Don Quijote.  8)

Moonfish

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 12:33:28 PM
We Romanians are blessed with two different but equally good translations of Don Quijote.  8)

I wonder what it is like in its original Spanish?
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 12:13:16 PM
Agreed.

I gotta say this is hilarious coming from two guys arguing over the deranged books of the Old Testament    on another thread — which you both see as reliable guides to truth. Nothing in Gibbon is as ridiculous as Genesis!

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2019, 01:50:40 PM
I gotta say this is hilarious coming from two guys arguing over the deranged books of the Old Testament    on another thread — which you both see as reliable guides to truth. Nothing in Gibbon is as ridiculous as Genesis!

Okay, I'll play along --- but first tell me: what is ridiculous in Genesis?

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 01:57:00 PM
Okay, I'll play along --- but first tell me: what is ridiculous in Genesis?
Are you kidding Andrei? How about the two very different creation stories? Or Eve from Adam's rib?

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2019, 01:50:40 PM

And you called me a bigot.

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2019, 02:02:10 PM
Are you kidding Andrei?

No, I'm not.

How about the two very different creation stories?

Which ones?

Or Eve from Adam's rib?

Blimey, I'd never have guessed you're a Bible literalist.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 02:19:07 PM

No, I'm not.

Which ones?

Blimey, I'd never have guessed you're a Bible literalist.

So you agree these pleasant tales want only truth and sense?  ;)

Seriously, you agree that those tales are not true, right.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2019, 02:25:18 PM
So you agree these pleasant tales want only truth and sense?  ;)

Seriously, you agree that those tales are not true, right.

No, I don't. You sorely missed my point.

Is Hamlet true? Or Don Quijote? Or Norwich's Byzantine history?