What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Thanks to you both for those replies. I've read a few stray stories by Borges but need to give him the attention he's due.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on June 09, 2020, 09:17:59 AM
Yes, the fate worse than death (or even worse than being the concubine of a cynic bonvivant) for FMD is to get married off to a catholic Pole. (I am not saying to whom this happens to avoid spoilers)
When I read the Demons in my early 20s I certainly found the beginning very slow and it is also confusing that the narrator suddenly drops out after a while. I am not aware of FMD using this device anywhere else (but it does not seem uncommon in general in 19th century literature)
There is quite a bit of humourous Dostoevsky in the shorter pieces (but I haven't read most of them and only dim recollections of the ones I read). And also in the big ones, e.g. the Marmeladovs in C & P do have some comical features and also the old Karamasov.

Yes, I remember vaguely all those anti polish passages, and a debate about whether Russia is Slav or European.

Re The Idiots, I found it very hard, maybe I was just too young or not in the mood at the time for the narrative complexities, or maybe the English translation I used isn't so good. (Has angine read it in French?) I saw it in London as. play, done by a Leningrad theatre with English subtitles, over three nights. It was . . . grizzly.

Re Karamazov, if anyone's in the mood for making a list, I'd appreciate a list of the great metaphysical detective stories, stories where searching for the truth about a crime is concurrent with searching for the truth about the meaning of life. Examples are Karamazov and probably Crime and Punishment, Brighton Rock, maybe A la recherche du temps perdu, maybe The Trial, I bet there are many more.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SimonNZ

Finished:

I was worried for the first quarter that this was going to be a manipulative pull-on-the-heartstrings two-hankie weepie, but was glad for the directions it took with the lead character's rapid rise in intelligence, and in its handling of the inevitable conclusion.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 17, 2020, 07:05:03 PM

Finished:

I was worried for the first quarter that this was going to be a manipulative pull-on-the-heartstrings two-hankie weepie, but was glad for the directions it took with the lead character's rapid rise in intelligence, and in its handling of the inevitable conclusion.

That was required reading in ninth grade English for me. TBH I barely remember anything about it beyond the basic plot.

Did you ever see the movie version?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Haven't seen the movie. Would you recommend it? I'd hesitate because I could easily imagine a film version leaning heavily on the sentimental potential of the story.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 17, 2020, 07:38:25 PM
Haven't seen the movie. Would you recommend it? I'd hesitate because I could easily imagine a film version leaning heavily on the sentimental potential of the story.

I remember even less of the movie than of the book,  so I can't tell you.

milk

Quote from: JBS on June 17, 2020, 07:24:25 PM
That was required reading in ninth grade English for me. TBH I barely remember anything about it beyond the basic plot.

Did you ever see the movie version?

Does that movie have the Ravi Shankar soundtrack? If so, it's excellent.

SimonNZ

I thought you must have been joking, but you're right. Somehow I'd never heard of this Shankar soundtrack. Will definately check the film out now, thanks!

TD: adding this to the various things on the go:

Reading chapters out of order, interesting to learn that the character of Charlie (!) in The Little Drummer Girl is based very closely on his own sister minus the recruitment stuff.

vers la flamme

I'm almost done with Wuthering Heights. Enjoying it pretty well so far. I've never read it before and am usually not much for Victorian novels, but this one is quite different.

I'm also midway through Gary Lachman's book about Swedenborg. Pretty good too.

JBS

vers la flamme

Started Mann's Buddenbrooks a few days ago. Really loving it so far. I find it an easy read coming off of Wuthering Heights, which I really enjoyed, but found dense at times. I'm a big fan of these kinds of multigenerational books...

Really 2020 is the year of me getting back into fiction, after years of not reading much at all, and what I did read was exclusively nonfiction. I feel like a little kid again, getting immersed in the worlds of these stories. Quite exciting. If this is anything like how I was getting into classical music a couple of years ago, I suspect this will be a longstanding obsession.

Carlo Gesualdo

I was reading l'aventure polyphonique de Nicolas Gombert by Paul van Nevel quite interesting but stop because , my eyes are tired, don't have a good eye sight like before, I'm not blind but my vision suffered to a point were it's pain streaking hard to reads whiteout intense light and having m nose pop in the book, I' 43 years old life  unfair, but  I also have to purchase  new glasses need them at all sake, once It were SO HUMILIATING, I though m father was talking to my sister I come outside and say animal my sister, I call her friendly animal because she lack in manners not because she a woman(i'm no sexist) but this time  I did not realize I mistaken an elderly woman for my sister on my street , my father was so laughing at me, and I did  hide inside and said oh no oh no excuse me lady I mistaken you for my sister I felt real bad...

Now when I see this lady I coward inside, that not so funny and stop calling my sister animal :(

AlberichUndHagen

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 24, 2020, 02:16:34 PM
Started Mann's Buddenbrooks a few days ago. Really loving it so far. I find it an easy read coming off of Wuthering Heights, which I really enjoyed, but found dense at times. I'm a big fan of these kinds of multigenerational books...

Really 2020 is the year of me getting back into fiction, after years of not reading much at all, and what I did read was exclusively nonfiction. I feel like a little kid again, getting immersed in the worlds of these stories. Quite exciting. If this is anything like how I was getting into classical music a couple of years ago, I suspect this will be a longstanding obsession.

Buddenbrooks is definitely a gem. My only complaints really are the first 20-30 pages or so. I seem to run to this often in Mann's work (the beginning being the weakest part) such as in Buddenbrooks and Magic Mountain. Joseph is an interesting case in that the beginning section was more interesting than the real beginning of the story itself so it kind of applies here too but once again, for ex. this second part of Joseph and his brothers has been very, very interesting and enjoyable. Although since I've only read about 1/3 of the entire tetralogy I can't tell if things continue to be as good.

André

Quote from: AlberichUndHagen on June 29, 2020, 09:57:28 AM
Buddenbrooks is definitely a gem. My only complaints really are the first 20-30 pages or so. I seem to run to this often in Mann's work (the beginning being the weakest part) such as in Buddenbrooks and Magic Mountain. Joseph is an interesting case in that the beginning section was more interesting than the real beginning of the story itself so it kind of applies here too but once again, for ex. this second part of Joseph and his brothers has been very, very interesting and enjoyable. Although since I've only read about 1/3 of the entire tetralogy I can't tell if things continue to be as good.

Things get better and better. The 'recognition scene' is thrilling. The short epilogue is the only weak part IMO.

aligreto

Wilde: The Picture of Dorian Gray

This, Wilde's only novel, is always worth another read. One always has to take it slowly so that one does not miss any of the myriad witticisms and aphorisms contained within the text. Still, it is essentially a very dark tale of depravity.

vers la flamme

Quote from: AlberichUndHagen on June 29, 2020, 09:57:28 AM

I loved the beginning of Buddenbrooks! I really felt like I was "there" at the big house on Meng Strasse, and I couldn't escape the feeling, "nowhere to go from here but down".

I'm on the last 50 pages or so now. I really burned through it. But it's been one of the most rewarding reading experiences of my life, surely.

Christo

Quote from: Dowder on July 01, 2020, 02:18:45 PM

The author feels the latter were mostly inconsequential and not much of a lasting force for change.
It simply means he dismisses all of the Enlightenment thinkers accept for the happy few he can mould into his own scheme. The most un-historical history books in years.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SimonNZ

Brian

Yesterday I started the project that will take up my July: War and Peace!!!

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2020, 11:40:26 AM
Yesterday I started the project that will take up my July: War and Peace!!!

Recently I finally got around to Isaiah Berlin's 90-page essay "The Hedgehog And The Fox" which is a study of the philosophy of history sections of War And Peace. It's been so long since I read WP that I can no longer remember the epilogue he refers to often.

read the copy on the lest but gave it away because I discovered it's also in the "Russian Thinkers" collection of Berlin I've got on the right