What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on September 26, 2020, 07:35:13 PM
en français ou en anglais?

I have had the very beautiful Modern Library hardcover (1950s?) translated by Scott Moncrief sitting on my shelf for years, but the thought of beginning this immense work is a bit daunting--especially given the many other things on my to-read list.

In French, I've read Scott Moncrief though, and indeed the new translation of Du côté de chez Swann. One thing I'm very conscious of now is how marvellous Proust's French is, and you just don't get that at all in translation! The music of it!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Childers: The Riddle of the Sands

This is ostensibly an espionage story but it is really about the skill and craft, and the love of sailing. If one is of a nautical inclination then I would definitely read it. If not, then you will not be deprived of reading a masterpiece of the genre by not reading it.

BWV 1080

Finished the pair, and after reading came to the conclusion that he was kind of a bad guy

Seriously, a few interesting takeaways
A) in the 30s he was a very shrewd politician, not just a demagogue who could rile crowds up
B) His anti-Semitism was sincere and the core of most everything he did and believed, not some 'great lie' to get power
C) He realized the war was lost when Barbarossa failed in late summer 1941, but kept doubling down on long-shots to win, such as Op Blau, Kursk or the Bulge

SimonNZ

Quote from: BWV 1080 on October 02, 2020, 05:10:01 AM

B) His anti-Semitism was sincere and the core of most everything he did and believed, not some 'great lie' to get power

I read the first part of Tolamd's classic 70s biography recently and he makes it clear that the antisemitism only began with the "stab in the back" myth after 1918, and wasn't present before. How does that compare with Ullrich?

Toland was particularly good at the homeless and dosshouse years in Vienna - of which I'd like to learn more. And for an unexpectedly touching portrait of the dog Fuchsl he had on the front.

BWV 1080

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 02, 2020, 05:30:46 AM
I read the first part of Tolamd's classic 70s biography recently and he makes it clear that the antisemitism only began with the "stab in the back" myth after 1918, and wasn't present before. How does that compare with Ullrich?

Toland was particularly good at the homeless and dosshouse years in Vienna - of which I'd like to learn more. And for an unexpectedly touching portrait of the dog Fuchsl he had on the front.

About the same - not much indication of it until the years after the war in Vienna, gives the impression it became an identity he assumed that grew to dominate everything he did

SimonNZ

Finished:

Started:

needing some easy distractions

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Finished the pair, and after reading came to the conclusion that he was kind of a bad guy

Seriously, a few interesting takeaways
A) in the 30s he was a very shrewd politician, not just a demagogue who could rile crowds up
C) He realized the war was lost when Barbarossa failed in late summer 1941, but kept doubling down on long-shots to win, such as Op Blau, Kursk or the Bulge

Was he homosexual?

SimonNZ

aligreto

Somerset Maugham: The Magician

This is a somewhat strange story that starts off as a portrait of a number of modest middle class people about town and gradually ends up as a story that ties them all up in a tale centred around the occult with a somewhat gruesome and horrific ending. It is a most interesting read.

BWV 1080

JBS

Quote from: aligreto on October 04, 2020, 02:50:30 AM
Somerset Maugham: The Magician

This is a somewhat strange story that starts off as a portrait of a number of modest middle class people about town and gradually ends up as a story that ties them all up in a tale centred around the occult with a somewhat gruesome and horrific ending. It is a most interesting read.

IIRC the title character was loosely based on Aleister Crowley (or more precisely, the public image of Crowley. I don't think the two ever met.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

I have absolutely no idea what the fuck it's about but who cares, the French is so beautiful. 

ritter

Quote from: Mandryka on October 04, 2020, 11:25:42 AM

I have absolutely no idea what the fuck it's about but who cares, the French is so beautiful.
Thinking about tackling that one myself. Perhaps the (shorter) revised version, though...

Mandryka

Quote from: ritter on October 04, 2020, 11:27:16 AM
Thinking about tackling that one myself. Perhaps the (shorter) revised version, though...

Apparently you have to read both -- he said they were both so very different!

aligreto

Quote from: JBS on October 04, 2020, 09:06:03 AM

IIRC the title character was loosely based on Aleister Crowley (or more precisely, the public image of Crowley. I don't think the two ever met.)

Maugham does not hide his utter dislike for Crowley whom he mentions, without favour, in the preface to this book.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jo498

So you would like Hitler better if he had been gay?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on October 04, 2020, 11:09:31 PM
So you would like Hitler better if he had been gay?

Oh shut up!

Mandryka

greg

Wtf lol.

What I don't get: did he really, really, think he could get away with what he did?

Or did he more than anything just want to see the world burn?

Because seems you would have to be an idiot to say you want the best for your country and then have them be a target like that. That's what doesn't make sense to me, it seems incredibly stupid and suicidal.

Also, is there anything in there about his obsession with cleanliness? Did he really take 4 baths a day?  ???
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie