What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 21, 2021, 07:26:40 AM
For those who are interested, the Guardian's new interview article with Kazuo Ishiguro.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/feb/20/kazuo-ishiguro-klara-and-the-sun-interview

Very much interested in this. Many thanks for sharing!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 21, 2021, 08:09:02 AM
Very much interested in this. Many thanks for sharing!

You are very welcome. :)  He likes Dosty (and Bob Dylan)!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 19, 2021, 06:49:14 PM
Ravenna looks very interesting! I will get a copy.

I saw the reviews on Amazon. I must buy the book. RE: Carl Zimmer - A Planet Of Viruses.

Ravenna has been a good read - amazing how complicated the post-Roman Empire was when the Byzantine Empire flourish w/ Justinian - back in 1996, I was invited to speak at a medical meeting in Bologna; we had a day free, so wife and I took a train to Ravenna - was like entering another world, and the architecture, mosaics, etc. were just gorgeous.  The book and pics within will likely stimulate some at least to want to visit.

A Planet of Viruses by Zimmer - read an early edition - the 3rd edition will be released April 1 so should have much on the COVID pandemic - will likely purchase a Kindle app edition for my iPad.  In hardback, currently reading The Plague Cycle, published this year which covers infectious disease in general, so far quite good.  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

My Last Sigh, Luis Bunuel. A memoir by the renowned Spanish cinema director.

steve ridgway

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 21, 2021, 09:43:23 AM
A Planet of Viruses by Zimmer - read an early edition - the 3rd edition will be released April 1 so should have much on the COVID pandemic - will likely purchase a Kindle app edition for my iPad.

I think we'll need a few years after the COVID pandemic has played out to get a good retrospective analysis.

ritter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 22, 2021, 07:14:47 AM
My Last Sigh, Luis Bunuel. A memoir by the renowned Spanish cinema director.
Oh, I read that when it was first published almost 40 years ago, and it was great fun. The definition of "provocation" he gives is great (I won't spoil it for you  ;)). I hope you enjoy it!

BWV 1080

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 20, 2021, 08:23:33 AM
I've now started Molecular Biology Of The Cell. Got the 2002 edition for my wife last summer from a charity bookshop where you donate what you feel like, but she found it heavy going.

C'mon its not like biology is complicated

steve ridgway

Quote from: BWV 1080 on February 22, 2021, 11:39:02 AM
C'mon its not like biology is complicated

I've already learnt that two molecules of glucose can join together in eleven different ways. ???

aligreto

Somerset Maugham: The Moon and Sixpence

This is a novel based on the life of Paul Gaugin. Gaugin is portrayed here as an Englishman. Nothing is withheld in the portrayal of the character of the main protagonist, warts and all. One has little sympathy for him but the storytelling and the characterisation is compelling from the pen of a master craftsman.

SimonNZ

I saw a book on Maugham by Frederick Raphael in the secondhand store the other day and after considering overnight went back the next day to get it found it already sold. I wonder if it was a Maugham fan or, like me, someone wiling to consider beginning with Maugham knowing Raphael to be a good writer and therefor most probably a good guide.

milk

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on February 23, 2021, 02:49:26 PM
Somerset Maugham: The Moon and Sixpence

This is a novel based on the life of Paul Gaugin. Gaugin is portrayed here as an Englishman. Nothing is withheld in the portrayal of the character of the main protagonist, warts and all. One has little sympathy for him but the storytelling and the characterisation is compelling from the pen of a master craftsman.

Nice to see you popping back in, Fergus 8)
Olivier

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

Quote from: milk on February 24, 2021, 04:31:00 AM

Love that and the whole Gateway/Heechee series, especially the way the author's ambition and scope expands outwards with each subsequent book.

steve ridgway

Quote from: milk on February 24, 2021, 04:31:00 AM

Is that classic SF? I read some of his stuff in the 70s but don't recall any titles.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Céline's Journey to the End of Night has been on my read list only since 1974...my French is good but I've resorted to an English translation as it's overfilled with slang I don't recognize. Glad to be fulfilling my post-adolescent reading objectives at long last! 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

vers la flamme

Yukio Mishima, Confessions of a Mask

A suggestion from our own Dry Brett Kavanaugh. So far, I am finding it to be intriguing for its deep inner monologue, exploring in depth the inner world of its tortured protagonist. Parts of it I am finding to be quite relatable, which is probably not a good thing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Glad you like the book. It was published in 1949, a few years after the defeat (and total destruction) of Japan in WW2, and the story and the author's talent shocked the people. Mishima was 24 years old, and the chief editor of the publishing company was the father of Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Now reading Montaigne's Essay.

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 25, 2021, 02:17:46 AM
Yukio Mishima, Confessions of a Mask

A suggestion from our own Dry Brett Kavanaugh. So far, I am finding it to be intriguing for its deep inner monologue, exploring in depth the inner world of its tortured protagonist. Parts of it I am finding to be quite relatable, which is probably not a good thing.