What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Harvested Sorrow on April 29, 2007, 06:47:23 AM
I'll take a look at those, and here's an interview that I feel goes quite in depth (for a TV show): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgNIZl8ncmU

Thanks.  I have not read either of these books.  The second one sounds the most interesting to me, so any feedback is appreciated.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

quintett op.57

About the life of our president : Mr Chirac
I've noticed something interesting : Like Bush, he was offered millions by the saudians, and like Bush, he didn't talk very much about that.
He's always been a very good friend for many arabian countries.  >:D

Danny

Quote from: quintett op.57 on April 29, 2007, 10:28:26 AM

About the life of our president : Mr Chirac
I've noticed something interesting : Like Bush, he was offered millions by the saudians, and like Bush, he didn't talk very much about that.
He's always been a very good friend for many arabian countries.  >:D

Like Bush, he's a dirty, no good creep of a crook.

If only McCain had won the nomination in 2000.   ::)

As of right now, I have no idea what to read next.

Ten thumbs

I have just finished reading Antonia Fraser's biography of Marie Antionette, which I found very uplifting because it shows what the human spirit is capable of enduring. Oddly enough, Danny's quote from St Ignatius of Loyola would have suited Marie Antoinette to a tee.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Scriptavolant

A collection of works by Michail Alexandrovič Bakunin.

Florestan

Quote from: Ten thumbs on April 30, 2007, 02:13:53 AM
I have just finished reading Antonia Fraser's biography of Marie Antionette, which I found very uplifting because it shows what the human spirit is capable of enduring. Oddly enough, Danny's quote from St Ignatius of Loyola would have suited Marie Antoinette to a tee.

Add this magnificent quote from Edmund Burke:

It is now sixteen or seventeen years since I saw the Queen of France, then the Dauphiness, at Versailles; and surely never lighted on this orb, which she hardly seemed to touch, a more delightful vision. I saw her just above the horizon, decorating and cheering the elevated sphere she just began to move in, — glittering like the morning star full of life and splendour and joy... Little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her in a nation of gallant men, — in a nation of men of honour and of cavaliers. I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone; that of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

karlhenning

Back in on Crime and Punishment, which I had to set aside through no fault of the author  0:)

Brilliantly written!

rubio

Quote from: karlhenning on April 30, 2007, 06:29:13 AM
Back in on Crime and Punishment, which I had to set aside through no fault of the author  0:)

Brilliantly written!

"Crime and Punishment" is one of my favourite books, and it is also a quite easy read. A real page-turner  :).
Anyway, Dostoyevski delves deep into the psyche of several characters while still keeping this "crime"-story going. You can really feel the torment and anguish of Raskolnikov. It can even be a bit uncomfortable from time to time.

Now I just read a book for entertainment, and an excellent book it was - Don Winslow "Power of the Dog". It is an 650 page complex epic thriller/mob story abouth the drug trafficking from Mexico to the US. It has well-drawn characters, multiple points of view and something interesting to say on the war on drugs...and the war on communism.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Ten thumbs

Thank you, Florestan, for that wonderful quote. I think Walpole's 'enthusiasm and admiration' for the superiority of Marie Antoinette's death rather overlooks the appalling degraded nature of her accusers. Your qoute expresses my feelings perfectly.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Danny

Our Lady and the Church by Jesuit priest Hugo Rahner.  It even has an official recommendation from ze pope! (I thought he was on the outs with the men in black.)

A wonderful little book it is, though.

Steve

Marcel Proust, Swann's Way - A splendid translation.

Florestan

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 01, 2007, 12:31:58 PM
Thank you, Florestan, for that wonderful quote. I think Walpole's 'enthusiasm and admiration' for the superiority of Marie Antoinette's death rather overlooks the appalling degraded nature of her accusers. Your qoute expresses my feelings perfectly.
A votre service, Monsieur! :)

Steve

Quote from: Florestan on April 30, 2007, 06:24:34 AM
Add this magnificent quote from Edmund Burke:

It is now sixteen or seventeen years since I saw the Queen of France, then the Dauphiness, at Versailles; and surely never lighted on this orb, which she hardly seemed to touch, a more delightful vision. I saw her just above the horizon, decorating and cheering the elevated sphere she just began to move in, — glittering like the morning star full of life and splendour and joy... Little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her in a nation of gallant men, — in a nation of men of honour and of cavaliers. I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone; that of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded.

Quoting Mr. Burke! How wonderful. His reflections rarely leaves my desk. The tail end of that quote was my signature in the past iteration of this forum. I've now ditched him for Tennyson, but good feeling abounds!

Splendid choice, are you reading his works?  :)

Benji

The most recent book I read was Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear - pretty gripping techo-thriller/sci-fi stuff in a Crichton-esque vein, but nothing really ground-breaking.

Next will be A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick. I read the first page for a taster and even that made me laugh. I love his writing.

Florestan

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 01:58:26 PM
Quoting Mr. Burke! How wonderful. His reflections rarely leaves my desk. The tail end of that quote was my signature in the past iteration of this forum. I've now ditched him for Tennyson, but good feeling abounds!

Splendid choice, are you reading his works?  :)
I've read some of them. His reason and common-sense are so refreshing!

Tennyson is wonderful, too.

val

BOUCOURECHLIEV: À L'ECOUTE

It is a set of articles dedicated to composers of the "serialism" generation. Boulez, Berio, Stockhausen, Nono, Maderna. Boucourechliev himself was an interesting composer. I heard years ago Claude Helffer playing in concerto one of his "Archipels".

karlhenning

Just finished re-reading Crime and Punishment this morning; and last night I read Pushkin's Queen of Spades . . . great resonance, since Pushkin's character Herman was one of the sources of Dostoyevsky's Raskolnikov.

Florestan

I have on my re-reading list The Brothers Karamazov and Demons. Some two thousands pages, Bozhe moy!

dtwilbanks

karlhenning

Quote from: Florestan on May 02, 2007, 05:08:32 AM
I have on my re-reading list The Brothers Karamazov and Demons.

Oh, and for me to re-read, The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot.  Great stuff!