What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 06, 2021, 09:32:18 PM
TD: still going with the book on Thatcher's Britain, but in the meantime finished this:

Well, thanks for mentioning this book and opening my eyes to what it's about. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, though it can be a bit of a tough slog at times. There was a part that totally cracked me up, where Kinbote's commentary to part of Line 80, which reads "my bedroom", instantly relaunches into an ongoing story about the prince of Zembla which goes on for some 4 pages, without actually tying in how this has anything to do with the line in question from the poem. I like how the commentator has a political ulterior motive for his whole edition thing. Hilarious. Nabokov is a fine writer. I look forward to reading more of his work once I make it through this one.

aligreto

Somerset-Maugham: Creatures of Circumstance

This is another collection of short stories which reflects Maugham's inimitable take on human nature.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 06, 2021, 05:15:51 AM
Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire

Finished last night. This ended up being really, really good—way better than I had imagined it would be at the beginning or even at the halfway point. Wow. I'm impressed with the deep ambiguity of the work. Really gave me a lot to think about. Nabokov is a phenomenal writer. I can't wait to read more of his work.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jfyi, an article about "Drive My Car," a movie adaptation of Haruki Murakami's work.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/07/drive-my-car-movie-review-1234650289/

Ganondorf

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 11, 2021, 05:58:13 PM
Salome, Oscar Wilde.

I've always been interested in this play because it was basis for one of my favorite operas by Richard Strauss.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Ganondorf on September 12, 2021, 07:51:17 AM
I've always been interested in this play because it was basis for one of my favorite operas by Richard Strauss.

A theatrical performance of this play maybe great. But for reading, this is just average for my personal preference.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 12, 2021, 07:23:21 AM
Jfyi, an article about "Drive My Car," a movie adaptation of Haruki Murakami's work.

Awesome! I did not hear about this film. I'm not sure whether or not I've mentioned this before, but Men Without Women, which contains the story "Drive My Car", was my introduction to Haruki Murakami's fiction and I've been hooked ever since.

vers la flamme

I've stared Vladimir Nabokov's Pnin

Nabokov is an unbelievably skilled English prose stylist, all the more remarkable when considering English was a third language for him. This book is a farcical take on the Russian immigrant experience in America. So far, so good; quite funny in a very Russian way. I'm hooked on Nabokov's writing style after reading Pale Fire. Need to get around to reading Lolita one of these days, and then there are about 5 other Nabokov books that I'd love to read.

aligreto

Waugh: The Loved One

Published in 1948 this short novel is a comic and biting satire on the shallow values of Californian life at the time.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 12, 2021, 10:54:20 AM
Awesome! I did not hear about this film. I'm not sure whether or not I've mentioned this before, but Men Without Women, which contains the story "Drive My Car", was my introduction to Haruki Murakami's fiction and I've been hooked ever since.

My gut feeling is that the movie will come to the States next year. It won Best Screenplay Award at Cannes this summer.

Daverz

Quote from: aligreto on September 12, 2021, 01:27:54 PM
Waugh: The Loved One

Published in 1948 this short novel is a comic and biting satire on the shallow values of Californian life at the time.

I don't know how true it is to the book, but this was made into a wonderfully quirky film in the '60s.  The screenplay was by Terry Southern and Christopher Isherwood.

"The film stars Robert Morse, Jonathan Winters, Anjanette Comer and Rod Steiger. Among those making appearances in smaller roles are John Gielgud, Robert Morley, Roddy McDowall, James Coburn, Milton Berle, Dana Andrews, Tab Hunter and Liberace."  -- Wikipedia

They missed that Paul Williams is in there as well.  Rod Steiger plays "Mr. Joyboy"!

aligreto

Quote from: Daverz on September 12, 2021, 03:39:42 PM

I don't know how true it is to the book, but this was made into a wonderfully quirky film in the '60s.  The screenplay was by Terry Southern and Christopher Isherwood.

"The film stars Robert Morse, Jonathan Winters, Anjanette Comer and Rod Steiger. Among those making appearances in smaller roles are John Gielgud, Robert Morley, Roddy McDowall, James Coburn, Milton Berle, Dana Andrews, Tab Hunter and Liberace."  -- Wikipedia

They missed that Paul Williams is in there as well.

Cheers, Dave. I was not aware of that film and I will try to find it. It would make for interesting viewing for me.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 12, 2021, 03:26:44 PM
My gut feeling is that the movie will come to the States next year. It won Best Screenplay Award at Cannes this summer.

Definitely will be looking forward to it. I got a kick out of this bit from the review

Quote from: David EhrlichAdapted by "Happy Hour" and "Asako I & II" auteur Ryûsuke Hamaguchi from a short story by Haruki Murakami, "Drive My Car" is a head-on collision between an emerging filmmaker fascinated by the interior lives of women, and a famous author who... is not (to say nothing of his other charms, Murakami is more into mysterious pixie dream girls).

While there are female characters in Murakami's work that I admire, it's true that writing women will never be his strong suit.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 12, 2021, 07:23:21 AM

Have you seen the film they made of his short story "Tony Takitani"?

I thought it was fascinating, but it's very slow moving which might explain why it's been largely overlooked.

vers la flamme

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 12, 2021, 05:03:42 PM
Have you seen the film they made of his short story "Tony Takitani"?

I thought it was fascinating, but it's very slow moving which might explain why it's been largely overlooked.

Wow, with a soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto. I must watch this.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 13, 2021, 02:11:45 AM
Wow, with a soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto. I must watch this.

+1. I must get a DVD of the movie.

LKB

Just started Into the Storm, by Tom Clancy and retired US Army General Fred Franks.

Fairly interesting thus far, and recommended for anyone interested in the nuts-and-bolts which held the Desert Storm ground campaign together.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Artem

Mostly shorter books this time.

Nadas' short story "Own death" is accompanied with photographs of a tree on each page. Carr's is a very English novel, reminded me of "Atonement". Kagge's essay was just OK. The book on Guston was my favourite. It's a short bio with great selection of his work and some photos from the studio.

Brian

I've read "A Month in the Country" twice. Easy to do because it's so short. But indeed it's very English, very beautiful, very full of unadmitted emotions.