What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 12, 2021, 01:27:54 PM
Waugh: The Loved One

Published in 1948 this short novel is a comic and biting satire on the shallow values of Californian life at the time.

Love that book. I've since learnt of, and also love, the movie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on September 12, 2021, 03:39:42 PM

I don't know how true it is to the book, but this was made into a wonderfully quirky film in the '60s.  The screenplay was by Terry Southern and Christopher Isherwood.

"The film stars Robert Morse, Jonathan Winters, Anjanette Comer and Rod Steiger. Among those making appearances in smaller roles are John Gielgud, Robert Morley, Roddy McDowall, James Coburn, Milton Berle, Dana Andrews, Tab Hunter and Liberace."  -- Wikipedia

They missed that Paul Williams is in there as well.  Rod Steiger plays "Mr. Joyboy"!

The only thing I "missed" in the movie, Dave, was basically the closing line of the book: The anniversary card from the Happier Hunting Ground. It's mordantly funny in the book, but just wouldn't work on the screen, I suppose.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Quote from: Artem on September 14, 2021, 04:21:12 AM
Mostly shorter books this time.

Nadas' short story "Own death" is accompanied with photographs of a tree on each page. Carr's is a very English novel, reminded me of "Atonement". Kagge's essay was just OK. The book on Guston was my favourite. It's a short bio with great selection of his work and some photos from the studio.

Guston was a weird, challenging artist. I ought to check that out sometime.

SimonNZ

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2021, 07:59:50 AM

Love that book. I've since learnt of, and also love, the movie.

I have not found the film yet, Karl, but it is on the List.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Hotel New Hampshire, John Irving.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 18, 2021, 06:39:01 AM
The Hotel New Hampshire, John Irving.

What do you think? I haven't read anything of his but I'm curious about his work. I liked the film based on The Cider House Rules.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 18, 2021, 06:50:02 AM
What do you think? I haven't read anything of his but I'm curious about his work. I liked the film based on The Cider House Rules.

I like it a lot. This is my favorite Irving book followed by The Cider House Rules.
I read the book for the first time when I was a high school student. I was as young as the protagonist in the beginning of story.
Now I am older than him at the end of story.

Ps. Nice cover art of the book. This simplistic picture casts a sharp contrast to the chaos, violence, promiscuity, incest, etc. in the story.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 18, 2021, 06:58:58 AM
I like it a lot. This is my favorite Irving book followed by The Cider House Rules.
I read the book for the first time when I was a high school student. I was as young as the protagonist in the beginning of story.
Now I am older than him at the end of story.

Ps. Nice cover art of the book. This simplistic picture casts a sharp contrast to the chaos, violence, promiscuity, incest, etc. in the story.

Always a pleasure revisiting books throughout life as one changes.

Artem

Bachtoven

vers la flamme

Been reading Adolfo Bioy Casares' The Invention of Morel

Eerily I'm finding myself relating a bit too much to the protagonist for my own comfort. An interesting short novel by a younger contemporary and compatriot of Borges, much in a similar vein to his work.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 22, 2021, 01:56:26 PM

Eerily I'm finding myself relating a bit too much to the protagonist for my own comfort. An interesting short novel by a younger contemporary and compatriot of Borges, much in a similar vein to his work.

Cover art!

vers la flamme

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Re-reading various chapters in Essays, by Michel de Montaigne.
Glad to see a man who thought similar things I often think hundreds of years ago.

Artem

Love that book. Read it a few times.

ritter

I read that many (30?) years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. rather clever book...

aligreto

Walter de la Mare: Peacock Pie

This is a book of simple rhymes ostensibly written for children but often the profound is hidden in the simple. I found quite a few very attractive verses here. A certain rustic magic prevails throughout. De La Mare's word craft is somewhat suspect in places but the overall effect and atmosphere of the rhymes are quite pleasant.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Junky, William S. Burroughs.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 26, 2021, 07:41:54 AM
Junky, William S. Burroughs.

I reread that in July. Just a phenomenal book... Completely transcends both its genre and subject matter.