What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haffner

Just received (as a most awesome, early Valentine's Day gift from my fiancee) the complete

Life of Richard Wagner (4 Volumes/Ernest Newman)
I am very happy and excited!

Bogey

Quote from: longears on February 06, 2008, 09:23:50 AM
Indeed.

And knowing you as a movie fan, Bill:  There's a fine BBC film adaptation with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds that's more restrained and period correct than the preposterously glitzy "Ode to Closeups of Kiera Knightley's Visage" that recently masqueraded as a movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.

Just checked my wife's collection of Austen dvd's....and what do you know?  She has this one!  I will have to view it after completing the novel.  Thanks for the heads up.  Like you David, I did not care for the recent adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.  It was disturbing to see Sutherland resurrect his Sgt. Oddball character and transplant it in Longbourn.  However, I did enjoy the Firth BBC effort.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

val

Stephen Jay Gould:       "Time's Arrow, Time's Cycle"

A very interesting essay on the concepts of linear and cyclic History, applied to Geology. 

MN Dave

MN Dave

I'm a little ways into FEAR AND LOATHING and I'm wondering what the big deal is supposed to be.

I'm also reading Thomas Merton's NO MAN IS AN ISLAND.

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on February 08, 2008, 04:31:50 AM
I'm a little ways into FEAR AND LOATHING and I'm wondering what the big deal is supposed to be.

All I can say is, it doesn't really arc up from there.

longears

Quote from: MN Dave on February 08, 2008, 04:31:50 AM
I remember it being published as a multi-part article in Rolling Stone in the early '70s.  I think the "big deal" then was his balls-out style glorifying outrageously irresponsible use of mind-altering drugs.  From today's vantage point it's not cool but pathetic.  Not that it was even cool back then.  I started but didn't finish reading the first installment and never read the rest.  A few years ago some losers made a movie out of it, with Johnny Depp out of his depth playing Thompson.  About 15 minutes of that was all I could take.

MN Dave

Quote from: longears on February 08, 2008, 05:08:15 AM
I remember it being published as a multi-part article in Rolling Stone in the early '70s.  I think the "big deal" then was his balls-out style glorifying outrageously irresponsible use of mind-altering drugs.  From today's vantage point it's not cool but pathetic.

Exactly. There's some money down the drain.  ::)

George

Quote from: MN Dave on February 08, 2008, 05:13:17 AM
Exactly. There's some money down the drain.  ::)

At least you didn't smoke it up.  $:)

MN Dave

Quote from: George on February 08, 2008, 05:15:33 AM

Gave up smoking a while back. And I was never really into the wacky tabacky.

George

Quote from: MN Dave on February 08, 2008, 05:17:23 AM
Gave up smoking a while back. And I was never really into the wacky tabacky.

Good for you, I quit smoking about 6 years ago.  :)

MN Dave

Quote from: George on February 08, 2008, 05:22:43 AM

I smoked Marlboro longhorns (100s). How about you?

Haffner

Quote from: George on February 08, 2008, 05:15:33 AM

Personally, I'd much rather spend the $15-20 on weed than that ridiculous book.

Haffner

Quote from: George on February 08, 2008, 05:22:43 AM

I slowed way down. But it's still fun on an extremely limited basis.

Haffner

Journeys to Selfhood (Taylor)

This book relies way more on Hegel and the proto-existentialists like Heidegger than Kierkegaard. But that makes it even more interesting to me. Hegel's ultra-verbose, abstract style was perfect for seeing things in the macrocosm. I mean, you can more easily insert the larger patterns of your life (both in-and-outwardly experienced) into the archetypes he asserts.

Oh no, tell me I didn't sound like Hegel there (laughing)!

George

Quote from: Haffner on February 08, 2008, 05:26:52 AM

I slowed way down. But it's still fun on an extremely limited basis.

I should clarify, I quit smoking cigarettes. They were enjoyable, especially good ones like Dunhill, but not fun.

As for the wacky tobacky, I can't have a little of anything, so it had to go (11 years ago.)

George

Quote from: Haffner on February 08, 2008, 05:26:13 AM

Personally, I'd much rather spend the $15-20 on weed than that ridiculous book.

Again, to clarify, when I said "smoke it up" I was referring to crack. I guess that one flew over everyone's head.  ::)

MN Dave

Quote from: George on February 08, 2008, 07:42:46 AM
Again, to clarify, when I said "smoke it up" I was referring to crack. I guess that one flew over everyone's head.  ::)

Wasn't lofty enough to fly over our heads.  ;D

George

Quote from: MN Dave on February 08, 2008, 07:46:23 AM
Wasn't lofty enough to fly over our heads.  ;D

Yeah, I should have smoked up prior to penning that one.  ;)