What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

O'Sullivan: Stories From The Deep

I like drinking water. I also like looking at bodies of it and occasionally being on it. However, I am largely averse to being in it except on a very rare occasion. Ken O'Sullivan, on the other hand, was born and bred near to and in the water near the south west coast of Ireland. He ultimately became a marine film maker.

The book opens with a wonderful statement of place and self; what it is to be a product of one's environment, upbringing and heritage. It then progresses to detail the hardships and the lean years  encountered in his early career. One near death experience stands out.

The book continues with his history of filming sharks, whales and exotic jellyfish off the coast of Ireland and all the way down to the Azores. I found it fascinating that such creatures lived in the waters of our coastline.

The book is eloquently and even poetically written [includes a few poems] in places, particularly on the topics which he is passionate about, most especially at the beginning and at the end of the book. It is an easy and engaging style reminiscent of an old Irish seanachaí [fireside story teller] relating a good story to you, personally.

LKB

I'm about a quarter of the way through Ian Toll's Pacific Crucible. I'm pretty impressed, and looking forward to the remaining books in the series.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 11, 2021, 01:54:38 AM

Four months after starting it, I finished it. I can see a bit of Frederic in myself -- that's not good!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SimonNZ

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Mandryka

Errr - this is a bit different from Bovary and L'Education! It reminds me of the movement in modern French literature - which I may explore soon - called post-exoticism.

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-exotisme

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Artem

Books that I read over the past month. I'd recommend checking out Locos. The book about China was also interesting.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Subterraneans, Jack Kerouac.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 10, 2022, 05:41:30 PM
The Subterraneans, Jack Kerouac.

I wrote a paper about that book freshman year of college  ;D Haven't read it since. You liking it?

SimonNZ

I remember The Vanity Of Duluoz being my favorite Kerouac, back when I read near all of them in a binge.

TD: finished:

started:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 11, 2022, 03:29:52 AM
I wrote a paper about that book freshman year of college  ;D Haven't read it since. You liking it?

I used to like the book a lot when I was young, but I have a mixed feeling about it now. The writing is very good. But the story is a little slow, if not boring. Overall, still fun read with many names of Jazz greats like Bird, Stan Kenton, etc.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

foxandpeng

Picked up Shostakovich: A Life Remembered by Elizabeth Wilson yesterday for £2.49. Not the next on my list to read, but soon...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2022, 12:25:43 PM
Four months after starting it, I finished it. I can see a bit of Frederic in myself -- that's not good!
I liked that book. Though I can't remember it.
Quote from: SimonNZ on February 05, 2022, 04:45:01 PM
Started:

I liked that book. Though I can't remember it.

I'm really enjoying this. Hope I remember it!

SimonNZ