What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498, Ganondorf and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

DavidW

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on May 01, 2007, 02:42:55 PM
The most recent book I read was Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear - pretty gripping techo-thriller/sci-fi stuff in a Crichton-esque vein, but nothing really ground-breaking.

That was my impression as well.  It was a plane flight read when I read, and kept me amused through the flight. :)  I'm not a big Greg Bear fan.  At the time that I was into him I liked the two novels about the machines that destroy Earth, and I also liked the novel Moving Mars even though it was pretty silly. :)

That was a few years ago, I don't think that I would like him at all today.

bwv 1080

Finished Cormac McCarthy's feel-good Oprah book club selection The Road.  Great heartwarming story of a guy's love for his son while trying to avoid being eaten by roving post-apocalyptic cannibals.

Also read The River of Doubt, an account of Teddy Roosevelt and Candido Randon's trip down an uncharted Amazon tributary in 1913

Working on Niall Ferguson's book on the Rothchilds

Steve

Danny

Also reading Development of Christian Doctrine by Cardinal Newman with A History of the Church by Eusebius.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 02, 2007, 07:40:23 PM
Finished Cormac McCarthy's feel-good Oprah book club selection The Road.  Great heartwarming story of a guy's love for his son while trying to avoid being eaten by roving post-apocalyptic cannibals.

I read that one before Oprah put her stamp on it.

bwv 1080

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 04:30:09 AM
I read that one before Oprah put her stamp on it.

Was it better before?

Do you think Oprah will put her stamp on Blood Meridian?

dtwilbanks

bwv 1080

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 05:48:17 AM
You didn't like it? I thought it was rad.

No, I loved the book.  Just amused that Oprah put it in her book club.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 03, 2007, 05:49:49 AM

Yeah, I was amused as well.

I have BLOOD MERIDIAN on my TBR (to be read) pile. I'll have to get around to that soon.

dtwilbanks

I'm really enjoying THE TERROR by Dan Simmons. It may become one of my favorite reads of the year. If you'd like to check it out, here's a link.

Maciek

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 02, 2007, 07:40:23 PM
The Road.  Great heartwarming story of a guy's love for his son while trying to avoid being eaten by roving post-apocalyptic cannibals.

I must admit that really does sound heartwarming. ;)

(But who likes precooked heart? 0:))

dtwilbanks

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 03, 2007, 05:49:49 AM

What do you think caused the apocalypse?

Maciek

Bunny

I just finished the new mystery by Harlan Coben, The Woods -- a real page turner with a surprise ending.  If you have never read any of Coben's books, this is a great way to start.  Gripping, from start to finish. 

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Bunny on May 03, 2007, 07:57:31 AM
I just finished the new mystery by Harlan Coben, The Woods -- a real page turner with a surprise ending.  If you have never read any of Coben's books, this is a great way to start.  Gripping, from start to finish. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I might give it a shot on my upcoming vacation.

Bunny

Quote from: Danny on May 02, 2007, 10:29:12 PM
Also reading Development of Christian Doctrine by Cardinal Newman with A History of the Church by Eusebius.

Please tell me that you weren't reading these for school.

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 07:58:26 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I might give it a shot on my upcoming vacation.

As long as you aren't camping out in the woods...

Sorry, couldn't resist that!  Actually, the events in the woods occur 20 years before the start of the book.  But still, the echoes of the events are felt through the years.

bwv 1080

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 06:29:45 AM
What do you think caused the apocalypse?

McCarthy likely had no specific event in mind, but would have to guess some extraterrestrial impact.  There was no indication of radiation from nukes. The dead ocean, perpetually overcast sky and wide swaths of burned land seem to line up with Discovery channel speculation on the after effects of large impacts

dtwilbanks

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 03, 2007, 07:59:16 AM
McCarthy likely had no specific event in mind, but would have to guess some extraterrestrial impact.  There was no indication of radiation from nukes. The dead ocean, perpetually overcast sky and wide swaths of burned land seem to line up with Discovery channel speculation on the after effects of large impacts

Makes sense. Thanks.

bwv 1080

Quote from: MrOsa on May 03, 2007, 06:27:04 AM
I must admit that really does sound heartwarming. ;)

(But who likes precooked heart? 0:))

It is by far McCarthy's most optimistic and upbeat book.

BTW are you a fan of Stanislaw Lem?  The Cyberiad is about my all time favorite book