What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 15, 2022, 08:36:52 AM
It is also the kind of book that wins the Booker Prize, and get voted to be the most significant book to have won the Booker Prize.

The Nobel Prize for Literature has been heavily controversial and politicized during the last two or three decades. Am I wrong in inferring that the Booker Prize might be the same?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on August 15, 2022, 08:43:30 AM
The Nobel Prize for Literature has been heavily controversial and politicized during the last two or three decades. Am I wrong in inferring that the Booker Prize might be the same?

Everything is political. The booker prize is widely respected in the literary world and represents that mindset. The final selection is made by a small panel so of course there is nothing definitive about it. However, I can't recall a Booker Prize winner that was not widely recognized as having literary merit.

I read Midnight's Children, only vaguely remember it, except that the "magical realism" genre didn't appeal to me. That doesn't change the fact that it is widely respected as a great book.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 15, 2022, 08:58:41 AM
Everything is political.

Sad but true.

QuoteThe booker prize is widely respected in the literary world and represents that mindset. The final selection is made by a small panel so of course there is nothing definitive about it. However, I can't recall a Booker Prize winner that was not widely recognized as having literary merit.

Thanks.

I haven't read any Rushdie yet but my understanding is that he's a major contemporary writer.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 15, 2022, 08:58:41 AM
the "magical realism" genre didn't appeal to me.

Like in Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on August 15, 2022, 09:03:11 AM
Like in Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

Midnight's Children "magical" elements are of a different nature. The main conceit of the novel is that all children born in the hour that India/Pakistan achieved independence have telepathic powers and communicate with each other. The "magical" element is the foundation of the story I don't recall anything so explicitly magical in Garcia Marquez, although I have not read all of his works. Love in the time of Cholera and Chronicle of a Death Foretold are the works I have most recently read.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

A lot of ghosts come back to have conversations in One Hundred Years of Solitude, but overall in Garcia Marquez the "magic" elements of the story provide color, commentary, and a Greek chorus-like element, rather than being absolutely essential to the basic plot.

KevinP

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 15, 2022, 09:30:46 AM
Midnight's Children "magical" elements are of a different nature. The main conceit of the novel is that all children born in the hour that India/Pakistan achieved independence have telepathic powers and communicate with each other. The "magical" element is the foundation of the story I don't recall anything so explicitly magical in Garcia Marquez, although I have not read all of his works. Love in the time of Cholera and Chronicle of a Death Foretold are the works I have most recently read.

I see, thanks. Yes, quite different from Marquez.

Artem

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 15, 2022, 08:36:52 AM
It is also the kind of book that wins the Booker Prize, and get voted to be the most significant book to have won the Booker Prize.
The Booker prize is an odd one for me. Almost everything I read with the Booker sticker left me dissatisfied. Interesting storytelling but without any lasting impression. Perfect reading for a beach vacation. International Booker prize may be a bit more engaging.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

milk

Thanks everyone for the comments on Rushdie.

Mandryka

Austrian humour is very very dark! Anyone here explored this author?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Conquest of Happiness, Bertrand Russell.

Artem

Bernhard is one of my favourite authors. I read most of what has been translated into English.

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on August 20, 2022, 06:15:48 PM
Bernhard is one of my favourite authors. I read most of what has been translated into English.

Any favourites? I'm coming to the end of The Woodcutters and I want to read another.

Artem

His earlier work is somewhat more conventional than the later difficult novels that Bernhard is known for, but I like his earlier stuff. I'd suggest reading Frost or The Lime Works next.

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on August 20, 2022, 11:48:31 PM
His earlier work is somewhat more conventional than the later difficult novels that Bernhard is known for, but I like his earlier stuff. I'd suggest reading Frost or The Lime Works next.

Noted. Having now finished The Wood cutters, it's just a bit too nasty and intense and cynical to begin another Bernhard book straight away, so I'm spending the afternoon relaxing by dipping randomly into Chateaubriand's relatively innocent and radiant Mémoires d'outre tombe.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on August 21, 2022, 07:42:05 AM
Chateaubriand's relatively innocent and radiant Mémoires d'outre tombe.

Next stop after that, Génie du christianisme, ou beautés de la religion chrétienne;)

aligreto

Pushkin: The Captain's Daughter and Other Stories.

This is a fine collection of works from Pushkin. Some of the stories had a different outlook on Life and this made for varied, interesting and enjoyable reading.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 20, 2022, 06:13:44 PM
The Conquest of Happiness, Bertrand Russell.

A book which I remember enjoying and finding helpful many years ago. I also like his 'In Praise of Idleness'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).