What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on May 12, 2024, 07:27:10 AMSomeone told me that No Country for Old Men was better as a movie than a novel - I haven't seen it or read it, yet.

As much as I love the movie, I think the book is better. I'll say this: No Country, and The Road, which I just reread, both read almost like screenplays. Very dialogue heavy, with terse descriptive sentences.

Brian

Quote from: San Antone on May 12, 2024, 04:06:29 AMI would say that , as good as they are, the film adaptations of Jane Austin do not replace experiencing the books.  The movies do not capture the multi-layered and subtle manner of her style.

But I think this about most movie versions of novels, but I feel it is even more true concerning Austin.
I would even say that the best adaptation of an Austen novel remains Clueless.

San Antone

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 12, 2024, 12:44:25 PMAs much as I love the movie, I think the book is better. I'll say this: No Country, and The Road, which I just reread, both read almost like screenplays. Very dialogue heavy, with terse descriptive sentences.

I don't really want anyone to attempt to adapt McCarthy to the screen.  NCFOM is actually the best - but there have been some real disasters: Child of Man. All the Pretty Horses was okay but far to slick and "pretty". They all have to leave out so much of what makes McCarthy great, IMO.

I've heard that someone (could have been James Franco) has spent years trying to get funding, cast, production crew, etc. for a movie of Blood Meridian.    I hope it never happens.

vers la flamme

Quote from: San Antone on May 13, 2024, 03:31:21 AMI don't really want anyone to attempt to adapt McCarthy to the screen.  NCFOM is actually the best - but there have been some real disasters: Child of Man. All the Pretty Horses was okay but far to slick and "pretty". They all have to leave out so much of what makes McCarthy great, IMO.

I've heard that someone (could have been James Franco) has spenxt years trying to get funding, cast, production crew, etc. for a movie of Blood Meridian.    I hope it never happens.

Agreed... Blood Meridian seems unfilmable to me, though that book has a LOT of fans in my generation, many of whom are big film fans that would love to see it adapted. I'm perfectly content that they should be disappointed, especially if it is James Franco who's trying to do this movie. Franco's several film adaptations of McCarthy and Faulkner books are terrible. I watched a bit of his As I Lay Dying recently after rereading that book and found myself annoyed at how bad it was... he did something, no doubt in an effort to replicate the multitude of perspectives in the book, where almost every scene features a weird "split screen" effect where we're seeing the same event from two perspectives. An interesting idea, but the execution was terrible.

But this is something that's happening to me more and more these days; almost every film adaptation of a book I've read ends up annoying me and disappointing me greatly. Somehow seeing these stories on screen kicks the "suspension of disbelief" up a notch, to where I'm unable to find myself believing in what I'm seeing. The dialogue seems fake, the props and costumes seem fake, and I just can't get into it. Maybe book dialogue is unrealistic too, but it doesn't matter as much when I'm not forced to watch actors actually say these lines. I'm sorry to say it but I think reading fiction has ruined film for me; maybe I'll come around again.

I have not seen Franco's Child of God, and don't intend to, though that book is so fucked up as to seem unfilmable to me too. (Very good book though; the bit near the end about the great flood of Sevierville, Tennessee has stuck with me immensely for some reason.) Nor have I seen All the Pretty Horses, but based on the trailers I think I would hate it and I highly doubt it would do the book justice. I think the only other film adaptation of McCarthy that I've seen and liked was The Road with Viggo Mortensen playing the part of the father, but I haven't watched it since shortly after my first time reading the book in high school.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 13, 2024, 03:43:09 AMAgreed... Blood Meridian seems unfilmable to me, though that book has a LOT of fans in my generation, many of whom are big film fans that would love to see it adapted. I'm perfectly content that they should be disappointed, especially if it is James Franco who's trying to do this movie. Franco's several film adaptations of McCarthy and Faulkner books are terrible. I watched a bit of his As I Lay Dying recently after rereading that book and found myself annoyed at how bad it was... he did something, no doubt in an effort to replicate the multitude of perspectives in the book, where almost every scene features a weird "split screen" effect where we're seeing the same event from two perspectives. An interesting idea, but the execution was terrible.

Do not watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9NeAzZbZYg
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Iota

I agree with the sentiment that films nearly always fall short when compared with the book. But films of books are like arrangements of musical works, they take the original ingredients and recast them. And I think it's a rare musical arrangement that you'd say equals or improves on the original. Nonetheless they can be interesting and enlightening commentaries the originals imo.

TD:

It is of course frustrating how little is known about WS, but Bryson fills out the gaps genially, ambling down all manner of fascinating and amusing side roads to flesh out the picture. There's a wealth of interesting detail about life in London in the late 16th/early 17th century for example, which as a local boy I found particularly intriguing.
He also paints an extraordinary picture of the various highly eccentric obsessives who dedicated their lives to discovering the tiniest slivers of information about Shakespeare, often being overcome by disillusion/madness and unhappy endings. Lots of detail on what we know about people he worked with, his business dealings, and actually quite a bit on what we don't know about him - a fascinating subject in itself in the hands of Bryson.
Anyway, lots more beside, and he ends with a very convincing dismissal of the Anti-Stratfordian argument and its proponents (who claim Shakespeare didn't write the plays).

JBS

Two films I can think of that are better than the books they are based on:
The Witches of Eastwick
The World According To Garp

Updike's text has a wide streak of misogyny, so the title characters come across more bitchy than witchy. The movie script excised that, and of course Cher and Nicholson get to romp through their roles.

Garp is less clearcut, but the movie cuts some digressive content for a clearer story, and has Robin Williams and John Lithgow at the top of their game.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

The obvious choice is Jean Luc Goddard's A Bout de Souffle. The book is not interesting.

My top choice would be Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz - though I've only read Alfred Doeblin's book in French. Not that the book is bad, it's just that the film is really special.

And Pasolini's Salò,  but that's really because Donatien Alphonse François's  book is very boring.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Doctor Zhivago. Belle de Jour.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on May 13, 2024, 01:51:53 PMAnd Pasolini's Salò,  but that's really because Donatien Alphonse François's  book is very boring.

Is it? Pity, I've gotten myself very curious to read Sade's works after reading some of Camille Paglia's Sexual Personae. She seems to view Sade as a kind of Dionysian counterweight to the Apollonian Rousseau, and to admire his work greatly. I wonder if you've read her stuff; you'd probably understand a lot more of it than I do.

I'm rereading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day, which I must say remains as deeply moving as it was on my first read a few years ago. One of my favorite novels.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Katherine Mansfield. Her First Ball, The Garden Party, etc..

AnotherSpin

It seems to me that the question of what is better, a book or a film based on a book, is not quite correct. Each format has its own advantages that are not available to the other format. Rather, we can talk about great films that have eclipsed books. For example, The Godfather, Metropolis, The Shawshank Redemption. Hitchcock's films - Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, etc.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 13, 2024, 02:57:13 PMIs it? Pity, I've gotten myself very curious to read Sade's works after reading some of Camille Paglia's Sexual Personae.

It's repetitive - it's a draft and unfinished.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on May 13, 2024, 07:59:12 PMIt's repetitive - it's a draft and unfinished.

In Gorbachev's time, 3 or 4 of de Sade's Russian translations were published. I tried reading, and probably even read something in its entirety. Most likely, simply because a year or two before that such publications were unthinkable. I also read Solzhenitsyn or Hitler then simply because they had not been published before. I wouldn't reread any of the above now. Well, maybe Mein Kampf, the parts where he talks about the Russians seem to be quite accurate.

Mandryka

Sade's Adresse d'un citoyen de Paris au roi des Français is well worth a read - not fiction though.

LKB

This week I'll be reading... nothing.

Next week, an indulgence just ordered:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=30701
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on May 14, 2024, 02:40:22 AMSade's Adresse d'un citoyen de Paris au roi des Français is well worth a read - not fiction though.

Is there English translation?

Mandryka

AnotherSpin