What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Nice post, Lilas!

AS for me, I'm reading Lituma in the Andes by Mario Vargas Llosa. Excellent, as everything I've read from him.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Danny

Only 135 pages but a deeply stimulating, insightful and comprehensive read for the subject matter it tackles.

Haffner

Quote from: Danny on April 02, 2008, 12:00:49 AM

Only 135 pages but a deeply stimulating, insightful and comprehensive read for the subject matter it tackles.

Hey, now I'm interested!

Danny

Quote from: Haffner on April 02, 2008, 02:59:48 AM

Hey, now I'm interested!

Interesting it is.  Both of their speeches given within days of each other offer a good critique of relativism (Pera is especially brilliant here) and why its impact (lack of faith in Christianity, its long esteemed morality, etc.) is having such a negative influence on Europe--and Western Civilization--today.  The book concludes with two letters written between them (one from Pera to the Pope, and then a response from Benedict to Pera) that centers around the idea of a civil religion in Europe, one that the secular Pera wishes to be a kind of "non-denominational Christian religion" that can incorporate the various faiths, practices and moral/ethical foundations of Christians into a single religious block. Even more interesting, Pera wishes to include secular people of good will within this block!

MN Dave

Just picked this up from the library:

Haffner

MN Dave

Quote from: Haffner on April 02, 2008, 01:33:35 PM
Killer!

Yeah, it's one of those over-sized books with lots of art in it. Maybe I should actually buy one.  ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I read a lot of Conan in my teens (1970s). And I liked those Frank Frazetta covers, too...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

MN Dave

Quote from: Jezetha on April 02, 2008, 02:54:45 PM
I read a lot of Conan in my teens (1970s). And I liked those Frank Frazetta covers, too...

Yep, me too. And I've been reliving the experience lately.  ;D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Jezetha on April 02, 2008, 02:54:45 PM

Yup.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

This guy is a disciple of Frazetta, he did the Kiss Destroyer, Rainbow Rising, and Manowar albums covers. I think y'all will like:

kenkellyart.com

MN Dave

Quote from: Haffner on April 02, 2008, 03:40:56 PM
This guy is a disciple of Frazetta, he did the Kiss Destroyer, Rainbow Rising, and Manowar albums covers. I think y'all will like:

kenkellyart.com

Ken Kelly did some AWESOME book covers for Conan. They're in this book too. Two-pagers!

Bogey

If Sarge could photo shop your Fraz Conan cover Dave and stick a Fender where the sword is, you will have a good idea of what our very own Andrew the Conquerer looks like.  8)

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on April 02, 2008, 03:45:27 PM
If Sarge could photo shop your Fraz Conan cover Dave and stick a Fender where the sword is, you will have a good idea of what our very own Andrew the Conquerer looks like.  8)

:o

Bogey

I believe Kelly did a lot of the previous re-releases of the Howard stuff.  Pocket size paperbacks with silver boarders.  I had a few but dumped them when the new Howard editions came out.  The covers were very good.  Now, if any of you pull out some Boris Vallejo renditions, I'm outaa here.

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on April 02, 2008, 03:56:09 PM
I believe Kelly did a lot of the previous re-releases of the Howard stuff.  Pocket size paperbacks with silver boarders.  I had a few but dumped them when the new Howard editions came out.  The covers were very good.  Now, if any of you pull out some Boris Vallejo renditions, I'm outaa here.

I didn't mind Vallejo as a kid, but yeah...

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on April 02, 2008, 04:02:37 PM
I didn't mind Vallejo as a kid, but yeah...

Now the Bama Doc Savage covers are another story.  Cool then, cool now.

Haffner

Quote from: Bogey on April 02, 2008, 04:15:21 PM
Now the Bama Doc Savage covers are another story.  Cool then, cool now.

Extremely heroic.

Kullervo

Marcel Proust - À la recherche du temps perdu (Moncrieff translation)

I read Swann's Way and about half of Within a Budding Grove about a year ago, but I don't think I was really ready for it. I've been putting off doing this for too long.