What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Quote from: Haffner on April 20, 2008, 08:56:43 AM

It always makes me think of Goethe. Not exactly a "fundamentalist" type-o' guy, right?

Maybe if Faust was transubstantiated into a woman. Would that make Margaret a Mark?

Haffner

Quote from: Corey on April 20, 2008, 04:05:58 PM
Maybe if Faust was transubstantiated into a woman. Would that make Margaret a Mark?

cracking up

btpaul674

I'm currently reading "The Music of Bela Bartok" by Elliott Antokoletz.

It's not one of those easy reads, but I love Bartok's symmetry and I am beginning to see some of the small-scale symmetries Rautavaara uses in his music. Some of the sonorities in Bartok I find strewn about Rautavaara, some more obvious than others.

Kullervo

In Search of Lost Time Vol. 3: The Guermantes Way

Saul

I have completed Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings' and I enjoyed reading it.
He writes with great skill and poetry. Though when I compare the book to the film I see that many details were left out from the film.

After completing The Lord of the Rings I began reading the other work by Tolkien ' The Silmarillion. After reading some 30 pages or so I threw the book in the garbage for I thought it was extremely paganistic in nature, and I didn't like that at all.

The Silmarillion deals with the 'first age ' in Tolkien's world , while 'The Lord of the rings' is about the third age. The Lord of the rings is more of a story, and doesn't deal with 'Gods' or pagan religious subjects. I was disappointed with The Silmarillion, for I thought that it would be a nice story to read, but its paganistic nature really ruined it. I am not for reading this pagan things.

Saul

Brian

Quote from: Saul on April 21, 2008, 05:10:03 PMAfter reading some 30 pages or so I threw the book in the garbage for I thought it was extremely paganistic in nature, and I didn't like that at all.
Maybe you could have given it to someone or sold it to a used bookstore. A few of my friends have liked it (though I never bothered to read it).

Kullervo

Quote from: Brian on April 21, 2008, 05:15:46 PM
Maybe you could have given it to someone or sold it to a used bookstore. A few of my friends have liked it (though I never bothered to read it).

Yes, I was wondering for how many people does, "I threw it in the garbage" mean approximately, "I sold it on Amazon"? :D

Brian

Quote from: Corey on April 21, 2008, 05:22:02 PM
Yes, I was wondering for how many people does, "I threw it in the garbage" mean approximately, "I sold it on Amazon"? :D
That's because we have to read college textbooks. In a few weeks I'm going to have to get in the business of "throwing things in the garbage"  ;D

Kullervo

I threw all my Lord of the Rings books "into the garbage" ages ago! (Silmarillion, too.) ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on April 21, 2008, 05:38:59 PM
I threw all my Lord of the Rings books "into the garbage" ages ago! (Silmarillion, too.) ;D

You are lying. A being with protruding eyes wrested them from you and fell to his death.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

M forever

Quote from: Saul on April 21, 2008, 05:10:03 PM
The Silmarillion deals with the 'first age ' in Tolkien's world , while 'The Lord of the rings' is about the third age. The Lord of the rings is more of a story, and doesn’t deal with 'Gods' or pagan religious subjects. I was disappointed with The Silmarillion, for I thought that it would be a nice story to read, but its paganistic nature really ruined it. I am not for reading this pagan things.

That surprises me. I thought you were into stuff like that. I was under the impression you like to read the Old Testament or Tanakh which is just as fictional as Tolkien's writings.

I enjoyed reading "The Lord of the Rings", too, but never managed to read "The Silmarillion" either. I also stopped after a couple dozen pages or so.

MN Dave

Quote from: Jezetha on April 21, 2008, 09:57:22 PM
You are lying. A being with protruding eyes wrested them from you and fell to his death.

LOL

Anne

I didn't read this but I have to thank my two grandsons (16 and 13 yrs old) for helping me get through the entire Lord of the Rings saga on DVD.  I could never have done it without them.

Bogey

Not to worry David, I still have your list and am beginning to procure some of the titles you suggested.  However, my May is packed with activities that will definitely crop my reading, so little vignettes may be all that I can fit in for now.  I like to clip at least 50 pages per sitting, and that just ain't going to happen until June rolls in.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Anne on April 22, 2008, 06:53:48 PM
I didn't read this but I have to thank my two grandsons (16 and 13 yrs old) for helping me get through the entire Lord of the Rings saga on DVD.  I could never have done it without them.

... she said in her Oscar acceptance speech.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Good old stuff which I loved in my youth (now I'm old, 36):

Tom Sharpe - Tohuwabohu

He's a real master of exaggeration. Still good fun.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am (re-)reading a few novels technically (like a composer studies scores), i.e. how is information presented to the reader, syntax, style et cetera:

Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Lowry - Under the Volcano
Bely - Petersburg
Djuna Barnes - Nightwood

I am also reading The Annals of Imperial Rome, by Tacitus (Penguin Classics). I find him astonishing - his insight into power and human nature are second to none, and he has a consummate style to match.

Anne

MN Dave

Deathwatch by Robb White

"An exciting novel of suspense, based on a fight to the finish between an honest and courageous young man and a cynical business tycoon who believes that anything can be had for a price."--Horn Book. An ALA Best of the Best Books for Young Adults, Edgar Allan Poe Mystery Writers Award, A New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year, New York Public Library--Books for the Teen Age.

I'm not sure why they consider it Young Adult. Maybe because there are no curse words or boobies in it?