What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2008, 03:43:32 AM
Mencken is perfect for that mode, of course;  he's always a delight to dip into/

Myself, when I'm reading Dickens, I like to just read the Dickens (so to speak) and focus on that narrative.

I wonder how the original readers could've endured waiting for the new installments of his works! He produced David Copperfield over a period of two years.

rockerreds

Heather Harrison

"A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder" by James De Mille.  I recently bought a bound volume containing an entire year's worth of Harper's Weekly from 1888.  This novel is serialized over the first four months or so of the year.  It is a strange fantasy-adventure story that satirizes Victorian society.  I'm not far into it yet, but so far it is enjoyable and interesting.

Heather

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

As I do often, two books:

Cambridge Companion To Bruckner

Parsifal (Beckett)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Haffner

Quote from: Jezetha on May 07, 2008, 03:46:46 AM
Good one. Own it, read it.

Read the synopsis part, now deep into the music portion. Terrific read. Parsifal just may be overall my favorite opera. Even more than the Ring.

MN Dave

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: MN Dave on May 07, 2008, 05:55:23 AM
I love crap like this.  ;D

No, you like fantasy, Dave.

[paranoia mode] If it is that. [/paranoia mode]
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

MN Dave

Haffner

Quote from: MN Dave on May 07, 2008, 07:17:23 AM
:o

(a heavy metal version of the "Twilight Zone" theme starts playing)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: AndyD. on May 07, 2008, 07:42:07 AM

(a heavy metal version of the "Twilight Zone" theme starts playing)

The X-Files is creepier, I think...  >:D

MN Dave

Between this book and the Religion thread here in the Diner, I'm thinking more about God than I have in a while.

Harry

Quote from: MN Dave on May 07, 2008, 08:02:32 AM
Between this book and the Religion thread here in the Diner, I'm thinking more about God than I have in a while.

Well that's a good thing Dave, as far as my opinion goes of course. :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: MN Dave on May 07, 2008, 05:55:23 AM

I love crap like this.  ;D

Dave - that book 'peaks' my interest, but the Amazon Reviews are quite varied (w/ a bunch of 1* only ratings) - is it a good read, or as you mention above 'crap' -  ;) ;D

Reminds me of a visit & tour last fall to the Masonic Lodge (added above) in Philadelphia - place is also known as The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania; the famous 'free masons'! Members included Mozart, Franklin (and other founding fathers), etc. - I was ready to join 'on the spot' after the tour!  :D

Kullervo

Part Two of The Guermantes Way now.

Question: Has anyone here read In Search of Lost Time in its entirety or am I alone in this crazy venture? :D

Harry

karlhenning

Why that emoticon, mijn vriend?

MN Dave

Quote from: SonicMan on May 07, 2008, 09:05:30 AM
Dave - that book 'peaks' my interest, but the Amazon Reviews are quite varied (w/ a bunch of 1* only ratings) - is it a good read, or as you mention above 'crap' -  ;) ;D

Reminds me of a visit & tour last fall to the Masonic Lodge (added above) in Philadelphia - place is also known as The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania; the famous 'free masons'! Members included Mozart, Franklin (and other founding fathers), etc. - I was ready to join 'on the spot' after the tour!  :D

I wouldn't give it 1 star; I think those people were expecting something else. Not sure if it's a 5 though. I just started it.

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on May 07, 2008, 09:29:53 AM
Why that emoticon, mijn vriend?

Well I have a abhorrence for any kind of violence, and somehow this one is making a impression on me.
It has a very realistic imprint on me.....
Maybe its the combination of the drama of Karamazov, and the Hochstamm Riesling I am drinking, after a very stressful working day, with people that were far to energetic for my taste.
Melancholy is also doing its job, and the constant worry for the health of my wife too....... :-\