What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB, Mandryka and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

I started to read a few books from and over one of the most famous moderators of all times in the German talk show, Herman und Tietjen, alas from the past, because of a conflict that the media made and nutured.

Harry

And another one.

M forever

Eva Herman is a pretty shallow but (moderately) good looking (in a housewifey way, at least, but I guess that does turn a lot of guys on) talking head who used to read the news on German TV and then hosted a number of hollow folk music and chitchat talk shows. I wonder what reason there is for her to write these books in which she pontificates about the role of men and women in society except for that she wants to exploit her popularity financially (which is her good right, of course).

She also poses as a "good Christian" but in reality, she has been married and divorced 4 or 5 times or so, so I wonder how that makes her such an expert to tell other people how to live their life... I am happy she got fired y the NDR after making these stupid remarks publically about how womanhood was better in the Nazi era, somebody that dumb and hollow shouldn't be allowed to abuse their access to mass media to braodcast such nonsense.

Cato

Quote from: Jezetha on May 08, 2008, 04:18:00 AM
I am glad there wasn't an elderly woman pawnbroker in the vicinity.

Or was there... ?!  :o

Actually it was the old guy at the Wal-Mart door who looked like he needed to be "taken out" !   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Bogey

Thank you David....when reading this it is as if I am sitting right beside Neihardt.  My world around me truly dissolves when reading this.

And on the side, rereading this one:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Sailing from Byzantium (2006) by Colin Wells; yet another book for me on the Byzantine empire (ever since my visit to Ravenna in Italy back in 1996 - Byzantium has been a fascination; great mosaics, as shown below, right) - this paperback is 'shorter' than other histories I've read but a decent introduction; mostly good comments from the Amazonians:)

BorisG

MN Dave

These poems aren't good. They're IMMORTAL!

8)

Kullervo

Marcel Proust — In Search of Lost Time Vol. 4: Sodom and Gommorah

Halfway through now.

Lethevich

I am considering the following, almost solely due to my admiration for the epic title...

Albi Cathedral and British Church Architecture: The Influence of Thirteenth-Century Church Building in Southern France and Northern Spain Upon Ecclesiastical Design in Modern Britain

It cannot fail...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

XB-70 Valkyrie

I'm reading a book about freshwater hydrology by E.C. Pielou, who was an important ecologist at Dalhousie University before she retired. I did some geohydrological monitoring and analysis years ago when I did environmental consulting work, and I'm looking to brush up on the subject both for my own interest and for career purposes. I recommend the book to anyone interested in the subject (or in nature in general), although lay readers may find it gets a bit dry and technical.

I'm also reading this book by Thich Nhat Hanh. I've heard some of his lectures on the radio, and I was really struck by how much peacefulness, and gentleness the man projects (he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King Jr.). It is a pretty quick read, and he seems to be repeating himself a bit. Still, I am interested in reading more of his writing

And I've just finished this one, although obviously it is not so much a matter of reading (there is some text) as of contemplating, exploring, and reflecting on Adam's brilliant work. I have found myself returning frequently to this book for inspiration. Even at full price, this is the greatest book bargain in recent memory. At $25 (Amazon) it is a steal. It will take you hours and hours to look through all of the 400 photographs here, which span over half a century of Adams work, beginning with his early experiments with pictorialism, and ending with his work from the late 70s. Contrary to popular myth, Adams was a master of photography of human subjects, and there are dozens of examples in this book. Highly recommended for anyone even remotely interested in photography, nature, people, art. etc.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Corey on May 12, 2008, 06:52:22 PM

Marcel Proust — In Search of Lost Time Vol. 4: Sodom and Gommorah

Halfway through now.

Can you summarize Proust?  ;D

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Harry

Quote from: M forever on May 08, 2008, 10:40:03 AM
Eva Herman is a pretty shallow but (moderately) good looking (in a housewifey way, at least, but I guess that does turn a lot of guys on) talking head who used to read the news on German TV and then hosted a number of hollow folk music and chitchat talk shows. I wonder what reason there is for her to write these books in which she pontificates about the role of men and women in society except for that she wants to exploit her popularity financially (which is her good right, of course).

She also poses as a "good Christian" but in reality, she has been married and divorced 4 or 5 times or so, so I wonder how that makes her such an expert to tell other people how to live their life... I am happy she got fired y the NDR after making these stupid remarks publically about how womanhood was better in the Nazi era, somebody that dumb and hollow shouldn't be allowed to abuse their access to mass media to braodcast such nonsense.

You have added your own nonsense I see, as hollow as always.

XB-70 Valkyrie

MN Dave

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 13, 2008, 12:54:50 AM
I'm also reading this book by Thich Nhat Hanh. I've heard some of his lectures on the radio, and I was really struck by how much peacefulness, and gentleness the man projects (he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King Jr.). It is a pretty quick read, and he seems to be repeating himself a bit. Still, I am interested in reading more of his writing

I've enjoyed and learned from everything I've read by him.

bwv 1080

Had seen the PBS series, so put off reading this, but was well worth the extra detail and insight.  Would that more popular science books be this well written.

About 1/3 through this (through the Mughal period).  General history of India from prehistory to the present, with good overviews of controversies I never knew existed (like whether the Aryan invasions took place or the Saraswati river relative to the development of the Indus Valley Civilization).

Kullervo

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2008, 01:15:18 AM
Piece of cake: madeleine:D

Well I suppose a madeleine could be called a piece of cake.