What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

So I continue my Proust adventure....

Swann's Way was among the most incredible reading experiences a person can have. But, my those sentences of epoch length!  :)

As a nice contrast, I'm revisiting this classic of Victorian Literature...

quintett op.57

Schopenhauer : Metaphysics of Death
I've just finished Metaphysics of love.

This guy had a great talent, his ability to ask himself questions is huge.

Whoever is interested in philosophy has to read him.

For those who want to understand Nietzsche, it's a good idea to read Schopenhauer (& Darwin).

Sometimes he lacks doubt. But he has no fear for truth.

A great philosopher. He made some mistakes, but remember he's from the XIXth century.
He's opened new doors to me in my reflections.

karlhenning

All philosophers will make mistakes, either that, or they aren't pushing themselves enough.

karlhenning

Gripping . . . and (as the best such books are most apt to do) makes you want to hear even all the minor works of the period currently under advisement . . . .

Danny

Some of the Summa by St. Thomas (just read how he demonstrates the infinity of God--scholasticism style!).

karlhenning

Harvested Sorrow

Quote from: toledobass on May 12, 2007, 01:54:02 PM
Hi Anne,

Here is a a link for some info and the contents of the collection:

Harvard Classics

Allan

That's actually quite an interesting list.  However, he did list Faust Part 1 and neglect Part 2...for shame, for shame!

Glad (and surprised) to see The Origin of Species on the list, though. :)

bwv 1080

Three chapters into Book I of Finnegan's Wake, don't know yet if I will finish it.

Also reading Jasper Godwin Ridley's bio of Henry VIII

Maciek

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 16, 2007, 02:33:03 PM
Three chapters into Book I of Finnegan's Wake, don't know yet if I will finish it.

Judging by my experience - that is a very sensible attitude. ;D

(O dear, I think, as a literary scholar, I've just committed blasphemy... :o Time for a disclaimer then: I really think Finnegan's Wake is a masterpiece. Just not the easiest read, that's all...)

Maciek

Daidalos

A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russel.
A legible handwriting is sign of a lack of inspiration.

Sungam

Daidalos

Quote from: Sungam on May 16, 2007, 03:39:51 PM
You would be reading that.

I consider it an unashamed act of egostroking on my part. I agree with almost (~75%) everything he says, and it feels very good reading it. No shame in that.

It's not as if I accepted anything Plato, Aristotle and Aquinas said before opening the book.
A legible handwriting is sign of a lack of inspiration.

Haffner

It's interesting to ponder what the modern zeitgeist would be without the influence of Friedrich Nietzsche. He's just one example, but perhaps the most important example (in terms of influence) in the past two hundred years. Just my opinion.

Danny

Finished Bishop Eusebius' "A History of the Church" (composed over the late third century to early fourth) and am now focusing on my re-read of "Development of Christian Doctrine" by Cardinal Newman and a book called "Teaching Authority of the Early Church."

Also would love to start reading "The First Circle" by Solzhenitsyn but don't have enough time right now. 

orbital

Quote from: Steve on May 13, 2007, 05:28:44 PM

As a nice contrast, I'm revisiting this classic of Victorian Literature...

IMO, this is one case where the movie song (Kate Bush) eclipses the book  :D

Harry

Still on the thick biography about Charlotte Bronte, by Rebecca Fraser.
In the beginning it was hard to get through, but getting deeper into the writings of this writer, the story unfolds quite nicely.
Charlotte was a woman with a firm own opinion, and she carried the tools to defend herself.
My kind of woman.

Maciek

Quote from: Harry on May 18, 2007, 10:48:17 AM
and she carried the tools to defend herself.

How did she fit an axe into her handbag? ??? Sounds creepy. ;D

Harry

Quote from: MrOsa on May 18, 2007, 11:07:24 AM

She used words as her axe my friend, words! :)

karlhenning

Quote from: MrOsa on May 18, 2007, 11:07:24 AM

Or like Rodion Romanovich, she sewed a strip of cloth inside her overcoat, from which to hang the ax . . . .