What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philoctetes

Finished the Pinget: Brilliant first half. Subpar second half. Cheap ending.

I tried to get into the Baudelaire, but I found it tiring.

Next up:
The Poems by Langston Hughes
Main Travelled Roads by Hamlin Garland

Anne

Isaac's Storm by Eric Larson just went on my list to read today as I listened to the author and a news reporter discussing Hurricane Ike.  Larson's book is the story of the greatest natural disaster in the history of the US that occurred 100 years ago when a hurricane, much like Ike, went across Cuba and hit Galveston.  The city is at sea level and there were no natural barriers to protect it.  Six thousand people were killed in that storm; that's 1 for every 5 or 6 people.  They showed a picture from that storm; it was total devastation, nothing but pieces of lumber, all the way to the horizon (one building survived intact).

As a result of that disaster, the people who survived built a sea wall 17 feet high, 20 feet thick, and 11 or 13 miles long.  They built it well as that same sea wall is there tonight helping to protect the people of Galveston.

mn dave

Haffner

Quote from: mn dave on September 15, 2008, 08:50:46 AM
Campbell = good reading.

Heyyy...! I read his stuff back in the '80's. This must be good!

mn dave

Quote from: AndyD. on September 15, 2008, 10:12:08 AM

Heyyy...! I read his stuff back in the '80's. This must be good!

It is good. 30 years of Campbell's best shorts.

Lethevich

An Inspector Calls. The play really annoyed me when I studied it in high school. Even at that time the moralising rang hollowly to me, so maybe it will now change, although I am not holding my breath..
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kullervo

I normally don't read translated poetry, but the English translations (side-by-side with the original French) stand on their own as great poetry.

bwv 1080

Still struggling with this, almost through the first 17 chapters

mahler10th

Beethovens Hair.

DNA reveals Beethoven!

Is it any good?  Bloody brilliant!

Anne

Quote from: mahler10th on September 18, 2008, 03:32:29 AM
Beethovens Hair.

DNA reveals Beethoven!

Is it any good?  Bloody brilliant!

Thanks for the reminder.  I shall put it on my list.

M forever

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 16, 2008, 08:31:13 AM

All that stuff is totally made up. If you want to understand everything about the universe, you have to read this book:

It's a little tedious to read though (there are no pictures). Alternatively, you can also rent the video.

bwv 1080

Quote from: M forever on September 18, 2008, 06:00:24 PM
All that stuff is totally made up. If you want to understand everything about the universe, you have to read this book:

It's a little tedious to read though (there are no pictures). Alternatively, you can also rent the video.

Actually you need both because to prove that the Earth is 6000 years old and the center of the universe you have to show that starlight that appears to have originated millions of years ago is a result of time dilation in Einstein's relativity equations

all this book learnin is also helpful in calculating the animal feeding and dung removal logistics on the Ark

mahler10th

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 16, 2008, 08:31:13 AM

This book looks right up my street.  Is it heavily academic or can it be read by a layman with no grounding in quantum physics?  I would be interested to read it and may look it out for it if it's an easy access work.

M forever

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 18, 2008, 06:51:51 PM
Actually you need both because to prove that the Earth is 6000 years old and the center of the universe you have to show that starlight that appears to have originated millions of years ago is a result of time dilation in Einstein's relativity equations

That's just a mathematical error. The light created by God is timeless, it can not be described or measured by any "scientific" theories.

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 18, 2008, 06:51:51 PM
all this book learnin is also helpful in calculating the animal feeding and dung removal logistics on the Ark

The animals simply pooped over the railing.

bwv 1080

Quote from: mahler10th on September 19, 2008, 02:45:12 PM
This book looks right up my street.  Is it heavily academic or can it be read by a layman with no grounding in quantum physics?  I would be interested to read it and may look it out for it if it's an easy access work.

so Penrose is this mathematical genius who thinks that because topics like differential forms, representation theory, Lie algebras and gauge connections are easy for him they will be easy for you too.  He spends 17 chapters on math like this before he starts on science, but it is fascinating stuff

orbital

Following The Blind Assassin, which was wonderful throughout:

My very first Mahfouz. Short and concise, a very effective [albeit sad]story about Egypt in the time of Infitah (Sadat's Open Door policy).

Now onto this:

I'm not sure if I like it so far, but I'll continue just for the hell of it.

bhodges

Quote from: orbital on September 20, 2008, 12:11:05 PM
Following The Blind Assassin, which was wonderful throughout:

Oh I meant to comment earlier when I saw you were reading it: fantastic book.  I'm a fan of Atwood in general, but even by her standards that was quite an achievement.  I still have to check out a number of her earlier books that I missed.

--Bruce 

Kullervo

A book on El Greco (can't find a decent cover).

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

orbital

Quote from: bhodges on September 20, 2008, 12:14:45 PM
Oh I meant to comment earlier when I saw you were reading it: fantastic book.  I'm a fan of Atwood in general, but even by her standards that was quite an achievement.  I still have to check out a number of her earlier books that I missed.

--Bruce 
Have you read Oryx and Crake? That's the one I intend to read from her next.