What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Actually, I did enjoy Washington Square, which is what prompted me to reattempt Bowl in the first place. I will take your advice and try him again later, thanks. Right now I have lined up some Bellow, Atwood, Conrad after I finish Bolano. :)

orbital

Quote from: Corey on February 03, 2009, 08:47:43 AM
Right now I have lined up some Bellow, Atwood, Conrad after I finish Bolano. :)
Which Bellow ? I have the following from him (remnants of the 100 free ebooks I got with the Sony coupon :P) , none of which I've read yet:
Herzog, Mr Sammler's Planet, Seize the Day, Something to Remember Me By, The Adventures of Augie March, The Bellarosa Connection

Re Atwood: Finally, I am starting Oryx and Crake this week (or the next)

Kullervo

Augie March and Mr. Sammler's Planet, probably in that order as I own the latter. I will probably read the Handmaid's Tale before both (incidentally, it was you that brought it to my attention).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Renfield

Quote from: Florestan on February 03, 2009, 10:35:33 AM
What book of him do you plan to read?

Hopefully The Heart of Darkness, if he hasn't already! ;)

Corey?

Haffner

Quote from: Renfield on February 03, 2009, 11:58:50 AM

Corey?

That's the best one, in my humble opinion.

I'm reading Smoke On the Water: the Deep Purple Story

JA!

Renfield

Quote from: AndyD. on February 03, 2009, 12:04:02 PM

That's the best one, in my humble opinion.

A beautiful book. Though I haven't read anything else, from Conrad.

karlhenning

Quote from: Renfield on February 03, 2009, 11:58:50 AM

Haven't ever read it, though I've seen Apocalypse Now  ;)

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on February 03, 2009, 12:08:42 PM
Haven't ever read it, though I've seen Apocalypse Now  ;)

Now there's a Classic!

Florestan

Quote from: Renfield on February 03, 2009, 12:07:51 PM
A beautiful book. Though I haven't read anything else, from Conrad.

Lord Jim and Nostromo are also very beautiful. I've also read Allmayer's Folly and An Outcast of the Islands. I'm going to read The Rover next. All in all, one of my favourite writers.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Renfield

Quote from: Florestan on February 03, 2009, 11:56:46 PM
Lord Jim and Nostromo are also very beautiful. I've also read Allmayer's Folly and An Outcast of the Islands. I'm going to read The Rover next. All in all, one of my favourite writers.

Lord Jim is on my to-read list.

orbital

I've read Lord Jim and The Heart of Darkness but enjoyed neither  :-\ Maybe (read: probably) I am missing something, but I found his style a bit too stagnant and was bored to death near the end of Lord Jim. I still have Nostromo lined up but it is not for the immediate future.

Novi

It's not one of his more famous books, but I have a soft spot for The Secret Agent.

Haven't read Conrad in years - I should definitely revisit :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

val

"HITLER" by Joachim Fest.

A new edition of a very remarkable book. Perhaps the best way not only to understand Hitler's nature but also how was it possible that such a man could rule an civilized European country.

Florestan

Quote from: orbital on February 04, 2009, 09:17:22 AM
I've read Lord Jim and The Heart of Darkness but enjoyed neither  :-\ Maybe (read: probably) I am missing something, but I found his style a bit too stagnant and was bored to death near the end of Lord Jim.

What hooked my in Lord Jim was not so much the action, as the style. The long-winded, metaphorical phrases sounded almost musical to me. :)

Bu

Good so far, but I still have a problem with viewing Descartes as a bad influence on history. :-\

Haffner

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2009, 11:21:01 PM
What hooked my in Lord Jim was not so much the action, as the style. The long-winded, metaphorical phrases sounded almost musical to me. :)

Faulkner can be like that. Only, a different musical style.

Florestan

Quote from: AndyD. on February 05, 2009, 01:28:59 AM

Faulkner can be like that. Only, a different musical style.

I've read only Absalom, Absalom! and liked it, but the only musical analogy it inspired me was a malfunctioning turntable whose needle jumped madly forward and backward all the time. There was method in the madness, though :)

Renfield

SonicMan46

Doctors in Blue: The Medical History of the Union Army in the Civil War by George W. Adams, first published in 1952, but has been reprinted up to 1996; not sure that there was a revised edition (implied on Amazon); this is a classic book concerning the medical history on the Union Side (another book exists about the Confederate medical side); full of statistics and quite detailed, so not an easy read, but if you want the 'bare' gory facts of medicine during the Civil War (in this case, on the Union side), then this book is a recommendation - now I'm making these comments as first, an enthusiast of Civil War history (and living in North Carolina) and as a physician - if interested, might want to do a library checkout (but a cheap paperback purchase - bought my copy at the Bentonville BattleField Site), a NC state historic site on a recent visit -  :D