What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddiarni

Just finished.

First audio book ever, and Stephen Fry is totally awesome.

Just started and am more than halfway through.  Great book.
Quote from: Oscar WildeThere is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Bogey

Quote from: Kiddiarni on August 07, 2007, 12:34:09 PM

Just started and am more than halfway through.  Great book.

Good book, but I found the plot a bit "contrived" at points....still good.  I heard his new one out is even better.  Where are you at in it?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Kiddiarni

Finished on the bus from work today.  ;D

And am starting this one tomorrow.

Quote from: Oscar WildeThere is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Kullervo

Finished Taras Bulba and absolutely loved it! Now onto:

sunnyside_up

Quote from: Kiddiarni on August 08, 2007, 10:56:58 AM

I'm just near the end of it.  So beautifully written, I'm loving it.

M forever

Just finished.

First audio book ever, and Stephen Fry is totally awesome.

A great actor indeed. So, is he reading the whole novel? I wanted to get into the audio book thing a little myself, since I sometimes drive long distances for work, and I don't really enjoy listening to music too much in the car, so having someone read me stories while I am driving seems like an attractive and relaxing idea, or maybe even listening to them on the plane, since I sometimes don't find the concentration to focus on reading a book while flying, but I guess if I had an audio book on a portable player, that might be much easier to relax with.

Papageno

Bogey

Just finished up the new Potter book....very well done.  Now I am at that wonderful point of being able to choose my next book.  :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Papageno

Yes... I remember reading Harry Potter when I was eight years old...

Bogey

Quote from: Papageno on August 10, 2007, 05:02:50 PM
Yes... I remember reading Harry Potter when I was eight years old...

So, are you implying that childrens' literature is not worth the adult eye?

Papageno

Quote from: Bogey on August 10, 2007, 05:25:33 PM
So, are you implying that childrens' literature is not worth the adult eye?

Well, I'd say the adult eye is not woth childrens' literature.

Bogey

Quote from: Papageno on August 10, 2007, 05:27:48 PM
Well, I'd say the adult eye is not woth childrens' literature.

So, you would disregard Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia, Tolkien's The Hobbit, all of Roald Dahl's books,.....etc, due to the fact that you are an adult?

Papageno

Quote from: Bogey on August 10, 2007, 05:36:20 PM
So, you would disregard Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia, Tolkien's The Hobbit, all of Roald Dahl's books,.....etc, due to the fact that you are an adult?

I can't say I know any of those titles, apart from The Hobbit, which I abandoned half-way through because it was too flat.

Bogey

Quote from: Papageno on August 10, 2007, 05:39:09 PM
I can't say I know any of those titles, apart from The Hobbit, which I abandoned half-way through because it was too flat.

That is unfortunate, at least IMHO....I believe that childrens' literature has much to offer, at any age.  Like all genres, there is good and bad in my opinion, but one should not throw out the good with the "bathwater", if you will.  Now, if you will excuse me, I am off to play a game of table hockey with my son.  ;) :)

Papageno

Quote from: Bogey on August 10, 2007, 05:57:53 PM
That is unfortunate, at least IMHO....I believe that childrens' literature has much to offer, at any age.  Like all genres, there is good and bad in my opinion, but one should not throw out the good with the "bathwater", if you will.  Now, if you will excuse me, I am off to play a game of table hockey with my son.  ;) :)

Of course there are exceptions, like Wilde's The Happy Prince

Bogey

Various articles from the Journal of the Abraham Lincoln Association. They have archived their past journals and I am reading various contributins to help determine if I would like to purchase a subscribtion.  I am not a big fan of reading on-line articles and would prefer to have copies in a bound format.

http://www.historycooperative.org/jalaindex.html

Bogey

Chris,
The forward by Sinatra is only a few pages, but well worth your read.

Mine is an older edition, but I am sure that it will do just fine for my purposes.
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bands-George-Thomas-Simon/dp/0028724305

Kiddiarni

Quote from: M forever on August 10, 2007, 02:54:20 PM
A great actor indeed. So, is he reading the whole novel? I wanted to get into the audio book thing a little myself, since I sometimes drive long distances for work, and I don't really enjoy listening to music too much in the car, so having someone read me stories while I am driving seems like an attractive and relaxing idea, or maybe even listening to them on the plane, since I sometimes don't find the concentration to focus on reading a book while flying, but I guess if I had an audio book on a portable player, that might be much easier to relax with.

Yes, reading it all, chapter for chapter, and he does it really well I think.

Check it out, it shouldn't disappoint you ;)

Bogey

Quote from: Kiddiarni on August 11, 2007, 11:48:55 AM
Yes, reading it all, chapter for chapter, and he does it really well I think.

Check it out, it shouldn't disappoint you ;)

I have the fourth book on audio...excellent perfomance.

not edward

Just finished rereading Bulgakov's The White Guard in the Glenny translation. I'd forgotten what a powerful book this is.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music