Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey

Ludwig Wittgenstein - Philosophical Investigations
W.V. Quine - Philosophy of Logic
E.M. Cioran - A Short History of Decay
Max Weber - The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism

Geo Dude

Garth Ennis & Steve Dillon Preacher volume 1.  It's been a while since I read a graphic novel and this one seems to be a fine recommendation by a friend.  The combination of twisted humor, interesting (and twisted) characters, and what seems to be an interesting plot hits the spot nicely.

Lake Swan

Read "The Derelict" by William Hope Hodgson last night, and some Chet Williamson.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lake Swan

Karl Henning

Wasn't the Nook's fault. I was thrown from my seat on a train (fool conductor driving the train too fast), and the Nook was in the bag which I landed on.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Why did they let the conductor drive the train? :o :D

Regards,
Navneeth

Gold Knight

Wanderer

Quote from: karlhenning on November 16, 2012, 05:53:20 AM
Wasn't the Nook's fault. I was thrown from my seat on a train (fool conductor driving the train too fast), and the Nook was in the bag which I landed on.

Ouch...  >:(

Quote from: Opus106 on November 16, 2012, 05:58:20 AM
Why did they let the conductor drive the train? :o :D

Painful but still funny.  :D $:)

Thread duty: Dan Simmons' Hyperion & Richard Preston's The Wild Trees.

(also always assume I'm reading one or another legal ten-pounder on the side)

Florestan

The history of US as I have never read before. Very intriguing and thought-provoking although somehow in line with my own thinking in matters political and economical.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Fëanor

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2012, 06:56:59 AM

The history of US as I have never read before. Very intriguing and thought-provoking although somehow in line with my own thinking in matters political and economical.

I believe that this book was written quite a few years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then but I guess libertarian, anarcho-capitalist twaddle hasn't changed much.

BTW I'm curious, assuming your are basically libertarian, whether you are in favor of women's choice on abortion and unrestricted immigration?

~~~

I'm presently reading Joseph Stiglitz: The Price of Inequality

Geo Dude

I finished Old Man Logan in one sitting earlier today and I'm currently starting on The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy.

Florestan

Quote from: Fëanor on November 21, 2012, 12:06:45 PM
BTW I'm curious, assuming your are basically libertarian, whether you are in favor of women's choice on abortion and unrestricted immigration?

I am not libertarian; acknowledging the obvious historical fact that the origin of the state is conquest and exploitation doesn't make me one any more than it makes me a Marxist, which again I am not. Facts don't have ideological color.

Anyway, to answer your question, I personally consider abortion to be morally reprehensible (except in cases of rape or when the mother's life is endangered by the continuation of the pregnancy) and a crime but the ultimate responsibility lies with both the mother and the father (provided it is known) and in order to make an informed choice they must be presented with all the medical and psychological facts related to abortion. In any case abortion should not be publicly subsidized.

As for unrestricted immigration, I am not American so I can't tell.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Fëanor

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2012, 12:22:50 AM

As for unrestricted immigration, I am not American so I can't tell.
Ah, forgive me, I see you are Romania. Reading a book by an American author and with a especially American scope, I assumed you were in the USA.

The unrestricted immigration question could well apply in the European context of course. If I'm not mistaken there is unrestricted migration in EU countries.

Florestan

Fëanor

Florestan

Quote from: Fëanor on November 22, 2012, 04:58:45 PM
I mean movement of EU citizens from one EU country to another.

I thought you meant something similar to the US immigration: non-Europeans coming to, and settling in, EU (or non-EU European countries). In this respect I disfavor unrestricted immigration, on the contrary, I should like to see a more cautionary policy and a toughening of the rules especially in the case of Muslim immigrants: anyone found to be involved in Islamist propaganda or to be member of a terrorist group (even if he did nothing more) should immediately be deported in his country of origin and never again allowed to set foot in EU.

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2012, 11:56:07 PM
In this respect I disfavor unrestricted immigration, on the contrary, I should like to see a more cautionary policy and a toughening of the rules especially in the case of Muslim immigrants: anyone found to be involved in Islamist propaganda or to be member of a terrorist group (even if he did nothing more) should immediately be deported in his country of origin and never again allowed to set foot in EU.

In the past - under Vlad III - Romania had a strict migratory policy to stop "illegal immigration" of its oriental neighbors. I hope you're thinking of something more moderate.  ;D  :D ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire