[asin]095390329X[/asin]
Creepy.  :o

David Creeperfield?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

My phone autocorrects it to David Centerfold, by Charles Sickens.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: Brian on January 03, 2014, 06:16:19 AM
My phone autocorrects it to David Centerfold, by Charles Sickens.
What the dickens?!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

In the middle of this collection of essays

One of the Amazon reviews is headlined "spiky and opinionated" , and that is a good description.  First section is devoted to Venice,  second to music, other sections to life in Italy, the war between the sexes, and the world outside Italy.    Well written,  mostly short (longest seems to be about ten pages),  and opinions worth reading even if you don't agree with them--too many potential good quotes to post here.    She's a fan (junkie is her term) of opera and Handel, especially Handel's operas, with only short excursions into other realms of music (including one viewing of Tristan und Isolde that serves as a vehicle to express all that's wrong with Wagner--and for Donna Leon, there's a lot that's wrong with Wagner, and one of I Puritani which serves as a vehicle to express all that's wrong with regietheater).  One essay, the longest one in the book, is a sort of narrated interview with Anne-Sofie van Otter that seems to have been done ten years ago.  Another is a quick tribute to Maria Callas as the most interesting opera singer.  (One major flaw:  there seems to be no indication of where or when these essays were originally published.)

All in all,   very enjoyable, and the sections on music will add some interest to GMGers.  Not very long either, about 220 pages.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brahmsian

Quote from: Bogey on January 03, 2014, 09:18:41 PM
Just purchased:

Hey Bill!

I remember this one:  Vernon vs Roy (circa 1997?)

The much shorter Vernon took this one, if I recall.  :D

mn dave

If he's good enough for JRR Tolkien...
[asin]1603862056[/asin]

Brian

Quote from: mn dave on January 06, 2014, 05:52:55 AM
If he's good enough for JRR Tolkien...
Have you ever read anything by Amanda McKittrick Ros?

mn dave

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2014, 08:25:59 AM
Have you ever read anything by Amanda McKittrick Ros?

I don't think so, Brian.

Brian

Quote from: mn dave on January 06, 2014, 08:28:40 AM
I don't think so, Brian.

Amanda McKittrick Ros was an 1890s writer so bad that Tolkein and CS Lewis had contests with their friends to see who could read aloud the longest without bursting into laughter.

Here's an excerpt from her novel Irene Iddlesleigh (free online!) - all her books had alliterative titles like Fumes of Formation.

"Though a man of forty summers, he never yet had entertained the thought of yielding up his bacheloric ideas to supplace them with others which eventually should coincide with those of a different sex; in fact, he never had bestowed a thought on changing his habits and manner of living, nor until fully realising his position of birthright, that had been treasured by his ancestors for such a lengthened period, and which, sooner or later, must pass into strangers' hands, did the thought ever occur to him of entering into the league of the blessed."

mn dave

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2014, 08:36:29 AM
Amanda McKittrick Ros was an 1890s writer so bad that Tolkein and CS Lewis had contests with their friends to see who could read aloud the longest without bursting into laughter.

Here's an excerpt from her novel Irene Iddlesleigh (free online!) - all her books had alliterative titles like Fumes of Formation.

"Though a man of forty summers, he never yet had entertained the thought of yielding up his bacheloric ideas to supplace them with others which eventually should coincide with those of a different sex; in fact, he never had bestowed a thought on changing his habits and manner of living, nor until fully realising his position of birthright, that had been treasured by his ancestors for such a lengthened period, and which, sooner or later, must pass into strangers' hands, did the thought ever occur to him of entering into the league of the blessed."

That must have been fun for Tolkein and Lewis. I mean, I just had fun reading that mess. :)

Brian

Quote from: mn dave on January 06, 2014, 09:47:17 AM
That must have been fun for Tolkein and Lewis. I mean, I just had fun reading that mess. :)
Have you heard of Harry Stephen Keeler? He's one of my literary heroes, an amazingly badgood warped genius who wrote tons of 1930s pulp mystery novels. Try the first chapter of 'Riddle of the Traveling Skull'!

mn dave

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2014, 10:11:00 AM
Have you heard of Harry Stephen Keeler? He's one of my literary heroes, an amazingly badgood warped genius who wrote tons of 1930s pulp mystery novels. Try the first chapter of 'Riddle of the Traveling Skull'!

Can't access from work but will try later. Thanks!

Artem

Quote from: sanantonio on January 06, 2014, 08:49:44 AM
Over the holiday break I read or am in the process reading these:

Generally, I won't read these kinds of books from start to finish, but dip into them over the course of a few weeks.  However, I did read the Alvin Lucier book, Music 109: Notes on Experimental Music, rather fast, is was a very interesting read, and not that long but very informative for anyone interested in this music. 

Twelve-Tone Music in America is a good book, and one I recommend since it explodes common false assumptions about  twelve-tone composition in general, and points out some unique aspects of the composers from the US working in this style. 

Serial Music, Serial Aesthetics: Compositional Theory in Post-War Europe is not as enjoyable, but I am slogging through it nonetheless. 

In Search of a Concrete Music by Pierre Schæffer, should prove interesting, but I have only begun reading it.

I have that Lucier book, but I haven't finished yet, because after flipping through it, i found that many of the compositions that he talks about are unknow to me. So my plan is to use this book as a sort of limited guide.

Oh, and I've wishlited the Twelve Tone book. Looks like there'll be a paperback version of it soon.

Brian

Here's a list of all the books I read in 2013, and quick reviews of my top ten favorites!

Keen-eyed readers might notice a certain GMGer's novel in the list!

North Star

I need to read Bleak House - I've already begun that project in 2008..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on January 09, 2014, 08:21:39 PM
Here's a list of all the books I read in 2013, and quick reviews of my top ten favorites!

Keen-eyed readers might notice a certain GMGer's novel in the list!

Huzzah for "anonymousish"!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on January 09, 2014, 09:09:38 PM
I need to read Bleak House - I've already begun that project in 2008..

You remind me to go back to The Pickwick Papers . . . though I really want to see to a couple of arrangements/Sibeliusifications first . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA