What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: stingo on March 24, 2014, 09:17:20 AM
How do you do an ASIN link for books? I see the ISBN listings, but no ASIN numbers for them.

A Storm Of Swords by George R. R. Martin

Find the URL at Amazon . . . and it's that ten-digit dealy after the /dp/:

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Swords-Song-Ice-Fire/dp/1613832796/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1395681768&sr=1-1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

stingo

Thanks!

[asin]0553106635[/asin] [asin]B002LHRLNE[/asin] [asin]B00B6Z6HI2[/asin] [asin]B00ISCOOJU[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

listener

an insider's history of the Allen Organ Company (caution: 20th Century electronics)
Triumphs & Trials of an Organ Builder  by  Jerome Markowitz
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Artem

Finished W.G. Sebald's On the Natural History of Destruction and Leonardo Sciascia's The Day of the Owl. Both short but very good books. Sebald's is a collection of lectures on writers and history, with the main one being the destruction of German cities during the WWII. Sciascia is becoming my new favourite author. His writing about Italy, the mafia is fascinating and almost like watching a good Italian movie from the 1960s.

stingo

Finished A Storm Of Swords, and have just started:

[asin]0553801503[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

science nerds might dig my current read.
[asin]0804139024[/asin]

mn dave

Oh, and I'm also catching up on The Walking Dead comic via Comixology.

chasmaniac

Volume 2 of the Twain set, a bit at a time.

[asin]B00DCCQEBW[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Brian

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 02, 2014, 05:31:52 AM

What were your opinions on Volume 1? I heard a lot of people say that it alternately was and was not worth the slog. I have a bit of a hard time imagining Mark Twain not being entertaining, but have not yet read these volumes.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2014, 12:27:50 PM
Quote from: chasmaniac on April 02, 2014, 05:31:52 AM
[asin]B00DCCQEBW[/asin]

What were your opinions on Volume 1? I heard a lot of people say that it alternately was and was not worth the slog. I have a bit of a hard time imagining Mark Twain not being entertaining, but have not yet read these volumes.

Thank you both for this alert!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

chasmaniac

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2014, 12:27:50 PM

There is a long intro plus notations in vol 1 that are of academic interest only. The Twain is great fun, if longwinded. You find yourself listening to him speak at length, rather than reciting an edited, final draft. Vol 2 loses the intro of course. I wouldn't call either great literature, but they are a delightful and fascinating revelation of the man.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Karl Henning

Well, I'd approach it as a document rather than as literature, and I expect to enjoy it. I've now got Vol. 1 on my Kindle . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

listener

The second book in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch,  'Moon Over Soho'.
Crime and wizards are an unusual genre for me, I must be enjoying it as I've read the other two.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Bogey

For maverick LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch, the body in the drainpipe at Mulholland Dam is more than another anonymous statistic.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

mn dave

Quote from: listener on April 04, 2014, 10:56:35 PM
The second book in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch,  'Moon Over Soho'.
Crime and wizards are an unusual genre for me, I must be enjoying it as I've read the other two.

It's all your fault that I now own Midnight Riot. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on April 05, 2014, 11:00:04 AM

For maverick LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch, the body in the drainpipe at Mulholland Dam is more than another anonymous statistic.

Yup that is a good read.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz