What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan on August 29, 2007, 05:14:10 PM
The House That George Built: With a Little Help from Irving, Cole, and a Crew of About Fifty by Wilfrid Sheed - new book on the famous early 20th century American 'Tin Pan Alley' composers - CLICK on the image for comments - not too long & wonderful writing w/ great incite & humor - if you like this music, then this book is a MUST reading - enjoy!  :D

Quoting my most recent post on this thread - about finished w/ the book on Tin Pan Alley composers - but much more!  A lot of chapters on 'Hollywood' movie composers, such as Harry Warren & Jimmy Van Heusen (of course, not their real names); again, this is an outstanding book if you're into this genre of music!  :D

Added above the image of Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2006) by Nicholas Fraser (et al) - just started this book which concentrates on vetebrate evolution and animals from the Mesozic Era (mainly the Triassic Period) - I love this stuff but this is not an easy read - almost could be used (if not?) as a college text (so be forewarned, if interested) - comments here on Amazon -  :)

DavidW

Quote from: Keemun on September 04, 2007, 06:43:29 AM
I'm presently reading P.D. James - Death in Holy Orders.  It's quite good.   :)

I've also been reading George R.R. Martin - A Clash of Kings off and on for a year and a half.

I like both authors as well.  I'm also off and on slowly reading through Martin's series.  Cool beans. :)

Choo Choo

Quote from: O Mensch on September 04, 2007, 02:05:32 PM
I'm almost done with Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. Great fun!

Isn't it just?  I read it again a while back, thinking that it would probably have dated - but though it is very much of its time in a lot of the detail, the brilliance is timeless.  I can never look at the posthorn symbol on a mailbox without mentally adding a mute.

A friend of mine read it recently in her book group.  Afterwards she remarked to me (quite crossly) : "That Jacobean play.  It's not real, you know."  No kidding.

bwv 1080

Quote from: O Mensch on September 04, 2007, 02:05:32 PM
I'm almost done with Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. Great fun!

I am about as many pages into Against the Day and am liking it quite well. 

Norbeone

Richard Dawkins' 'God Delusion' has always interested me. I think i'll buy it when I see it below £4.  ;D

MishaK

Quote from: Bogey on September 04, 2007, 02:28:42 PM
In the Denver area.  Only 70 or so birds on my life-list, but hope to add many more over the years.  We have around 10 feeders in our yard as I laso enjoy seeing how many species we can attract right in our yard.  I have checked out the Sibley Guide to Bird Behavior from our local library....great incredible book and one I really need to own a copy of.  I am also beginning to listen to Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs (Western Region).  If I can get some of the songs memorized, I will be at a much greater advantage when going birding.  My 9 year old son also enjoys birding and nails some before I even have my binoculars up to my eyes. 

FWIW, my son is a member of the Audobon Society of Greater Denver.  He received his membership as a gift from some friends of ours.  He just got his first newsletter the other day.  I will follow this post up with a PM when I get the chance.

Hey, that's great. Birding is such a great hobby and a fantastic excuse to enjoy the great outdoors. I loved birds when I was growing up in Germany, but didn't start seriously birding until this past year. You might enjoy this website: www.birdforum.net A lot of friendly birders share photos and give advice there. I have a humble gallery of a few favorite shots from my trips there as well.

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 04, 2007, 03:56:39 PM
I am about as many pages into Against the Day and am liking it quite well. 

Now that I'm done with Crying of Lot 49, I will start that one.  ;D

Bogey

Quote from: O Mensch on September 04, 2007, 07:25:42 PM
Hey, that's great. Birding is such a great hobby and a fantastic excuse to enjoy the great outdoors. I loved birds when I was growing up in Germany, but didn't start seriously birding until this past year. You might enjoy this website: www.birdforum.net A lot of friendly birders share photos and give advice there. I have a humble gallery of a few favorite shots from my trips there as well.

Looks like a great forum....I will sign up his weekend and dive in.  Awesome photos.  Wildlife photography is truly an art IMO.  My son will love this site/forum.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Danny

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy.

Haffner

Solitary Wanderer

This is an excellent read. I thought it might be dry and dusty due to it age but its engaging and informative. :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Kullervo

Quote from: Haffner on September 09, 2007, 08:41:58 AM

Either/Or is my favorite.

Reading: "Imitation of Mary" (Thomas Kempis)

Thanks, I'll check that next (Either/Or). I was expecting this to be tough going, but it is turning out to be pretty enjoyable (well, as "enjoyable" as philosophy can be). :)

Haffner

Quote from: Corey on September 12, 2007, 07:02:28 AM
Thanks, I'll check that next (Either/Or). I was expecting this to be tough going, but it is turning out to be pretty enjoyable (well, as "enjoyable" as philosophy can be). :)

Corey, Either/Or is even better. It had an obvious, tremendous influence on Christian Existentialism. Without Kiergkegaard, it's hard to imagine Rahner, Heidegger, Husserl, or Sartre (though I question how much of a loss Sartre would habe been).

Saul

karlhenning

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on September 09, 2007, 05:14:38 PM
This is an excellent read. I thought it might be dry and dusty due to it age but its engaging and informative. :)

Is it annotated? Otherwise "informative" is not quite the mot juste . . . that's one autobiography that is famously rife with stretches of the truth which took Procrustes' own breath away  ;D

Kullervo

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

read fight club today. tomorrow i'm moving on to fortunate son by jw hatfield.
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

George

Quote from: biber fan on September 12, 2007, 09:30:22 PM
read fight club today. tomorrow i'm moving on to fortunate son by jw hatfield.

If you liked fight club at all, try "Choke" by the same author. It's a much better book IMO.  :)